Songs from Double Take that you like more than the originals

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Thief
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1990

Re: Songs from Double Take that you like more than the origi

Post by Thief » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:09 am

I put the album right after reading this thread and I stand by my previous judgment. I'm not bothered by the album. I can listen to it and I don't find it cringe-inducing, nor do I think they butchered the classics, because I can always go back to them.

For what it's worth, I'll quote this post I wrote back in February...
I think I'm a bit more lenient towards the album than most people. Sure, it is easily on my bottom tier of Petra albums, probably the very bottom... but I can still listen to it from time to time. That said, the music - regardless of the lyrics - isn't the best. It's too bland-ish and over-produced. But well, like I said in the No Doubt poll thread, the 90's were a tough time for a lot of classic rock bands. Petra, like many other secular and Christian bands that fell during that time, just didn't know how to weather the storm. If anything, we should feel happy that they came through one way or the other, and went out with a bang.

As it is, I consider Double Take a noble effort as far as its intentions go, but a misguided one nonetheless.

And, for what it's worth, I consider "Breathe In" to be one of the best Petra songs out there. I love it.
0 x

fiendik
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beat The System
Pethead since: 2010

Post by fiendik » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:29 pm

I can't stand DT! It sounds horrible! I can sort-of tolerate "The Longing" but nothing else. The remakes weren't bad just because they were worse than the originals, but the tunes didn't fit at all! Many of them were originally very powerful, but they lost all of that on DT. The flat boring music fits "the Longing" and "Breathe In" - Nothing exciting there. But "Creed" was supposed to be something they were passionate about, and the DT version makes it sound like he doesn't actually believe a word of it. Same with "This Means War", "Beat The System", & "He Came, He Saw" (they had to remove victory even from the title!)
0 x
"Fiends are a gift from above, fiends are devoted and true..."

Psalm37v4
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1980

Post by Psalm37v4 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:42 am

I can't say there's anything on DT I like over the originals...
0 x

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:20 am

I prefer DT's rendition of Praying Man to the original. And I luh-HOVed the original. My tastes evolved in 7 years, I guess. I figured out how to enjoy more than just 80s hair rock.

Breathe In continues to be my wife's favorite, and by that song, she became an actual fan of Petra and John Schlitt. Go figure. I don't have DT in heavy rotation, but I don't hate the record.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

sickasadog
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1984

Post by sickasadog » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:01 pm

executioner wrote:I've always enjoyed "Praying Man" from DT over the original. BTW anyone here Stryper's new live album? It's horrible and a waste of money.
Not only have I heard the new Stryper live album, I bought it and really enjoy it. Sure, Michael doesn't scream on every song like he used to, but he's still doing quite well on vocals. The dual guitar soloing is fun to listen to as well.

The only complaint I have is that the lack of dynamic range in the production, but I could say that about most albums recorded in the last 15 years.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:46 am

I can only speak for me, as I am from that era of music. The cover record is great. They did a classy job. The re-recorded hits record was ok. It grew on me. Reborn...meh. That was admittedly a Michael Sweet solo record. The following record was ok. Again, a little off the beaten path, not their best. Personally, if Stryper quit today, I think the last album was probably the best version of their old selves they have done yet. This is all musically speaking, of course. The music confines Michaels melodies and harmonies to a predictable delivery. The new Sweet Lynch project has more of the same. That's not a slam. It's how it goes. How many good ideas can a person have in his life time? Most people generally make their best music on the front side, not the back. Case in point, Gaither hasn't written a memorable hit in quite a few decades. Neither have 99% of the artists who charted 25+ years ago.
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief

Post by rexreed » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:08 pm

sue d. wrote:Would you have rather had them put out another compilation album like Word wanted to Petra to do? A no frills heard-it-all-before compilation to finish up their contract. That's what you WOULD have gotten instead.

Bob and all didn't want that.... hence Double Take was born.
I'm not a fan of many of the DT songs, but then again a greatest hits would have been ridiculous. I don't understand how you take a song that sounds pretty good and then change it so much that folks don't like the song any more. The easier way to go might have been to rerecord the tunes, without rearranging them so much. I do like Just Reach Out, although not as much as the original. At least DT won an Grammy, right?
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief

Post by rexreed » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:11 pm

brent wrote:I can only speak for me, as I am from that era of music. The cover record is great. They did a classy job. The re-recorded hits record was ok. It grew on me. Reborn...meh. That was admittedly a Michael Sweet solo record. The following record was ok. Again, a little off the beaten path, not their best. Personally, if Stryper quit today, I think the last album was probably the best version of their old selves they have done yet. This is all musically speaking, of course. The music confines Michaels melodies and harmonies to a predictable delivery. The new Sweet Lynch project has more of the same. That's not a slam. It's how it goes. How many good ideas can a person have in his life time? Most people generally make their best music on the front side, not the back. Case in point, Gaither hasn't written a memorable hit in quite a few decades. Neither have 99% of the artists who charted 25+ years ago.
Brent, I like your run down of the new Stryper. I disagree, but I like it! Reborn, for me has some fantastic songs. I just can't get enough of the guitar solo on Open your Eyes, and Passion is an all time favorite. That being said I truly wish Stryper music was typically as good as the music they covered. The last album shows that they are always getting a little better as musicians and writers. Great stuff and I am glad they are still producing.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:21 am

brent wrote:Most people generally make their best music on the front side, not the back. Case in point, Gaither hasn't written a memorable hit in quite a few decades. Neither have 99% of the artists who charted 25+ years ago.
Then there's Johnny Cash who was still recording hits pretty much until the day he died.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:39 am

Right. That last album was a milestone for him. Everyone knew it was to be his last. Performance wise, it was an old man singing some simple tunes. But it was Johnny freakin cash in the last hours of his life, which makes all the difference.

Another similar type of album was made by Tom Jones. He has some very good songs addressing God, how someone would have to be a fool to have the bible and not take the time to read it, not take the time to know God, etc.
0 x