Another post-CP Volz vid

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
stsmedia
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: More Power to Ya
Pethead since: 1983

Another post-CP Volz vid

Post by stsmedia » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:16 pm

Better late than never...?

I realize most of The Petra Zone is predominately Schlitt-supportive and largely anti-Volz but since this is purportedly "the" Petra Zone, and I love Volz-era Petra as much as Schlitt-era Petra, I'm posting this, even though - as I do so - I know I'm the odd-man out (and of course its waay late since this first made its way onto YT).

Nothing great about this video, I admit. In fact, it doesn't help Volz' rep in light of this forums opinions of him, but still I like finding at least some "new" video with Volz or Petra that hasn't already been shared here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0Xlb6_63aA

Nevertheless, let the Volz bashing begin...
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1990

Re: Another post-CP Volz vid

Post by Thief » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:17 pm

I'm mostly new to this forum, but I don't know why you have to start in such a defensive state. Anyway, I had no idea Volz had recorded a cover of that song. I'm a huge fan of that Aerosmith song, so I'm not gonna say he did great. But the song is demanding as it is, so I suppose that singing it live and at this age, it's not going to sound so great. Particularly the falsettos. Heck, not even Steven Tyler can sing it now. That said, all things considered, his voice sounds pretty clean and great. I would've preferred if he had kept the song mostly low-key and in the middle tones like he did in most of the verses, and skip the falsettos.

EDIT: Just heard the album version of Volz' version and it sounds pretty good. I hadn't heard it before. I still prefer Aerosmith's original version, but I can see myself listening to this version in the future.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:28 pm

There are basically three views about the various Petra line ups here--And please, this is tongue-in-cheek and not to be taken completely seriously or as a personal attack:

The folks who prefer Schlitt hate people who prefer Volz and are out to take over the world.

The folks who prefer Volz have no taste in music and hate people who prefer Schlitt.

Those who prefer both dudes are wishy-washy and can't make up their minds.

I happen to like both Schlitt's and Volz's work, I think they both have wonderful voices suited to their time with Petra, so I guess I would be in the third group. :mrgreen:

Please, let's lighten up and not start the John vs. Greg stuff again.
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:35 pm

Wow, has there ever been a less enthusiastic crowd in the history of ever? I mean, outside of Waco, TX....
What can be said about this- he can still sing, has a lot of spunk, the audio is on board camera so not that great. The best part is that Jay Sekulow is nowhere to be seen;)
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Thief » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:25 pm

Shell wrote:I happen to like both Schlitt's and Volz's work, I think they both have wonderful voices suited to their time with Petra, so I guess I would be in the third group. :mrgreen:
Make up your mind, Mr. Wishy-washy!!! :lol:

I agree with you.
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Thief » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:27 pm

rexreed wrote:Wow, has there ever been a less enthusiastic crowd in the history of ever? I mean, outside of Waco, TX....

LOL, I thought the same. But to be honest, I wasn't surprised. I saw many such a-crowd during my years in church, hehehe.
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:19 am

So what happened to this project that Greg and Louie were supposed to be working on together? Was that really something or another of Dean's schemes that fell through?
rexreed wrote:The best part is that Jay Sekulow is nowhere to be seen;)
Like.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:40 pm

Thief wrote:
Shell wrote:I happen to like both Schlitt's and Volz's work, I think they both have wonderful voices suited to their time with Petra, so I guess I would be in the third group. :mrgreen:
Make up your mind, Mr. Wishy-washy!!! :lol:

I agree with you.
Yep, that's me, Ms. Wishy-Washy. :lol: Greg sounds great, I like his version of Dream On a lot. 8)
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:21 am

stsmedia wrote:I realize most of The Petra Zone is predominately Schlitt-supportive and largely anti-Volz...
It is?
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:25 am

Thief wrote:I'm mostly new to this forum, but I don't know why you have to start in such a defensive state. Anyway, I had no idea Volz had recorded a cover of that song. I'm a huge fan of that Aerosmith song, so I'm not gonna say he did great. But the song is demanding as it is, so I suppose that singing it live and at this age, it's not going to sound so great. Particularly the falsettos. Heck, not even Steven Tyler can sing it now. That said, all things considered, his voice sounds pretty clean and great. I would've preferred if he had kept the song mostly low-key and in the middle tones like he did in most of the verses, and skip the falsettos.

EDIT: Just heard the album version of Volz' version and it sounds pretty good. I hadn't heard it before. I still prefer Aerosmith's original version, but I can see myself listening to this version in the future.
As far as I'm concerned, Volz's rendition of "Dream On" is how the song should have been sung in the first place. That's not a cover, that's called taking a song and making it your own.
0 x

sickasadog
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1984

Post by sickasadog » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:31 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
Thief wrote:I'm mostly new to this forum, but I don't know why you have to start in such a defensive state. Anyway, I had no idea Volz had recorded a cover of that song. I'm a huge fan of that Aerosmith song, so I'm not gonna say he did great. But the song is demanding as it is, so I suppose that singing it live and at this age, it's not going to sound so great. Particularly the falsettos. Heck, not even Steven Tyler can sing it now. That said, all things considered, his voice sounds pretty clean and great. I would've preferred if he had kept the song mostly low-key and in the middle tones like he did in most of the verses, and skip the falsettos.

As far as I'm concerned, Volz's rendition of "Dream On" is how the song should have been sung in the first place. That's not a cover, that's called taking a song and making it your own.
Wow, I like GXV's version a lot, but I would not go THAT far.
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Thief » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:31 pm

Well, to each his/her own. To me, Aerosmith's version is unique. That said, Volz' fills up the song quite nicely and delivers a pretty good version. Like I said, I was surprised by how solid it was. But nah... it doesn't even touch the original, which to me is a testament to how good the original is and how much I love it, not a slight against Volz' version.
0 x

sickasadog
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1984

Post by sickasadog » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:45 pm

Thief wrote:Well, to each his/her own. To me, Aerosmith's version is unique. That said, Volz' fills up the song quite nicely and delivers a pretty good version. Like I said, I was surprised by how solid it was. But nah... it doesn't even touch the original, which to me is a testament to how good the original is and how much I love it, not a slight against Volz' version.
Yeah, Dream On really shows Steven Tyler's vulnerability at that age. This was their first album, and he was self-conscious about his voice not sounding manly enough. To compensate, he tried to change his singing voice to sound more masculine on that whole album, except for on Dream On where he sung in his normal style. Listen to Mama Kin off that same album, and you'll notice that it doesn't sound anything like the real Steven Tyler.

Off course, Tyler never came across so meek after that, LOL!
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:23 pm

sickasadog wrote:
Mountain Man wrote:

Wow, I like GXV's version a lot, but I would not go THAT far.
Eh, I think Steven Tyler is a lousy singer. Greg Volz actually hits the high notes in that song. Tyler just screams and screeches, and it grates on the ears.
0 x

fiendik
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beat The System
Pethead since: 2010

Post by fiendik » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:12 pm

I listened to the Aerosmith song once to see what Volz was covering, but I only listen to Christian music, so I didn't bother with anything more. I wasn't much impressed with Aerosmith, and thought Volz sounded nice enough, but that it was a pretty pointless song. In general, I find secular songs a pretty worthless lot - they don't have anything to talk about but sex, or at best some meaningless philosophizing. But Volz had a better sounding voice than Aerosmith anyway.
Shell wrote:There are basically three views about the various Petra line ups here--And please, this is tongue-in-cheek and not to be taken completely seriously or as a personal attack:

The folks who prefer Schlitt hate people who prefer Volz and are out to take over the world.

The folks who prefer Volz have no taste in music and hate people who prefer Schlitt.

Those who prefer both dudes are wishy-washy and can't make up their minds.

I happen to like both Schlitt's and Volz's work, I think they both have wonderful voices suited to their time with Petra, so I guess I would be in the third group. :mrgreen:

Please, let's lighten up and not start the John vs. Greg stuff again.
A curious assortment of incorrect statements; I'm a Volz fan who wants to take over the world :) And I consider myself as having pretty good musical taste.
0 x
"Fiends are a gift from above, fiends are devoted and true..."