DREAM TEAM REUNION ANNOUNCED...you read correctly

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 3847
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2003 10:56 am
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980
Location: Earth

Re: DREAM TEAM REUNION ANNOUNCED...you read correctly

Post by executioner » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:54 am

imc wrote:Less than one song from a band that hasn't played together for 20 years, am I being cynical by expecting a mime?
Who knows what your thinking maybe you are one of the ones that has been on facebook complaining "why didn't Greg X Volz get an invite?". I know why but not disclosing because I've been told to keep my mouth shut. I'm not excited because some artists are on there several times and Petra a top 5 CCM artist of all time gets about 2.5 minutes. Also I have issues with the Rich Mullins acknowledgement; yeah those are 2 great songs albeit before his total conversation to Catholicism. It is what it is, I'm just happy to get the real Petra back on stage if it is only for a short time.
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

User avatar
fiendik
Pethead
Pethead
Posts: 132
Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 11:48 am
#1 Album: Beat The System
Pethead since: 2010

Re: DREAM TEAM REUNION ANNOUNCED...you read correctly

Post by fiendik » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:54 pm

As far as I know, this is supposed to be the popular CCM, not necessarily the best...
"Fiends are a gift from above, fiends are devoted and true..."

Markus
Pethead
Pethead
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:57 pm

Re: DREAM TEAM REUNION ANNOUNCED...you read correctly

Post by Markus » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:29 pm

Come on! Petra hasn't released an album for years. And who really knows in which combination they exists? (Do they exists right now?)
So, i don't think we can expect more than one song. Grant had a #1 hit, Smith a TOP 10(?) hit in the US, so it seems fair for me, that they get more airplay.

If someone had told me one year ago, that Petra *with Schlitt and Weaver* play even one song together on stage, i would have called him nuts.
I will take whatever i get and enjoy the performance.

By the way: We have to face the fact, that fans asked for the dream team for many years. Did we get them? No. We got more a "will never happen".
Everything was needed: an anniversary party.

As i said: I don't expect too much, I'm fine with this. :D

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 4079
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:06 am

Re: DREAM TEAM REUNION ANNOUNCED...you read correctly

Post by brent » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:46 pm

Amy has sold more than 4 times what Petra sold, was in more markets, was more diverse and known by a wider audience.

The Imperials were "firsts" in so many categories, so historic and diverse...They outsold Petra exponentially. They for sure had more impact on CCM than anyone on that list. Had it not been for them, there would not have been CCM. They kind of pioneered it in the 60s, and were the first to win a Grammy at it, were the first to play live on the Grammy Award show stage, let Elvis rerecord their record and win his only Grammy.

Russ Taff. Those two words are enough. The man is a beast. Love the man.

Sandy Patty. Ok. She was great at her thing, was widely known, had a bunch of hits, but holy crap...spread the time out and let some other people have a slot. How much of that huge soaring dog calling can we take? What do you call a hamburger falling onto the beach? Sandy Patty.

Dallas Holm. Good call. The man has not quit recording and releasing albums since 1970. He is a real deal music evangelist.



There are more fans of contemporary, folk, and pop than Petra's rock. They might be looking at this, thinking, why is Petra even included? Or, why aren't they singing their hit, "The Coloring Song"? They were insignificant by comparison.

Life looks very different from the other side of the fence.








Notice Stryper is not involved. Just sayin'.

User avatar
Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 2389
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:17 am
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987
Location: USA

Re: DREAM TEAM REUNION ANNOUNCED...you read correctly

Post by Dan » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:13 pm

Amy sold her soul to sell albums.

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 4079
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:06 am

Re: DREAM TEAM REUNION ANNOUNCED...you read correctly

Post by brent » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:53 pm

I don't know her personally to know if she really sold her soul, but she sure did have some demonic imagery in her videos.

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 3207
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:26 am
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985
Location: L.A. area
Contact:

Re: DREAM TEAM REUNION ANNOUNCED...you read correctly

Post by Shell » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:46 pm

Amy is an imperfect human being who got her priorities messed up somewhere along the line, and she's not alone in that. It's easy to fall into that trap in that business (or any level really) if you're not careful. I have discovered that in many walks of life people are pretty quick to notice if someone might make a mistake or be shocked at the idea they are less than perfect, and pretty slow to try to understand where they might be coming from or slow to express appreciation for or acknowledge their good points. We should pray for these folks; the majority of us don't know them personally or know what they might have to deal with. I liked Amy's early stuff; I honestly haven't paid a lot of attention to her the past few years, so I'll withhold judgment since that's the case. I love Russ Taff; I could listen to that dude sing all day. This should be a good walk down memory lane. 8)
Last edited by Shell on Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 3847
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2003 10:56 am
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980
Location: Earth

Re: DREAM TEAM REUNION ANNOUNCED...you read correctly

Post by executioner » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:05 am

brent wrote:Amy has sold more than 4 times what Petra sold, was in more markets, was more diverse and known by a wider audience.

The Imperials were "firsts" in so many categories, so historic and diverse...They outsold Petra exponentially. They for sure had more impact on CCM than anyone on that list. Had it not been for them, there would not have been CCM. They kind of pioneered it in the 60s, and were the first to win a Grammy at it, were the first to play live on the Grammy Award show stage, let Elvis rerecord their record and win his only Grammy.

Russ Taff. Those two words are enough. The man is a beast. Love the man.

Sandy Patty. Ok. She was great at her thing, was widely known, had a bunch of hits, but holy crap...spread the time out and let some other people have a slot. How much of that huge soaring dog calling can we take? What do you call a hamburger falling onto the beach? Sandy Patty.

Dallas Holm. Good call. The man has not quit recording and releasing albums since 1970. He is a real deal music evangelist.



There are more fans of contemporary, folk, and pop than Petra's rock. They might be looking at this, thinking, why is Petra even included? Or, why aren't they singing their hit, "The Coloring Song"? They were insignificant by comparison.

Life looks very different from the other side of the fence.








Notice Stryper is not involved. Just sayin'.
I'm happy to see Imperials, Russ Taff, & MWS get in there and I understand why Amy Grant is in there also, but asking for a whole song from Petra who I think changed the way a lot of people(especially parents) looked at Christian rock is not asking for too much. Petra alone in the early to mid 80's changed my parents mind about what my dad at one time called "music straight from the pits of Hell" 180 degrees.
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2003 10:03 am
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.
Contact:

Re: DREAM TEAM REUNION ANNOUNCED...you read correctly

Post by gman » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:40 am

executioner wrote: I'm happy to see Imperials, Russ Taff, & MWS get in there and I understand why Amy Grant is in there also, but asking for a whole song from Petra who I think changed the way a lot of people(especially parents) looked at Christian rock is not asking for too much. Petra alone in the early to mid 80's changed my parents mind about what my dad at one time called "music straight from the pits of Hell" 180 degrees.
I realize that Michael wrote hits for Amy and Burger on the Beach, and that some of the early songs have been widely sung in America for decades, but I would have liked a nod to The Big Picture. Would we have Secret Ambition, or anything else, without the huge risk that was The Big Picture. I guess we wouldn't have web pages dedicated to pointing the Satanic letters and imagery on the album artwork. :lol:
And yes, a little more from Petra would have been nice. I think the rock side of CCM kind of got the shaft. I got CCM magazine for many years, and Petra, Whiteheart, and many others graced their fair share of covers and pages over the years.

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 4079
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:06 am

Re: DREAM TEAM REUNION ANNOUNCED...you read correctly

Post by brent » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:04 pm

He said got the shaft. I'm tellin' :)

It is called Christian Contemporary Music, not metal, not rock.

User avatar
sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 3016
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:44 am
Pethead since: 1993
Location: Sheboygan Falls, WI
Contact:

Re: DREAM TEAM REUNION ANNOUNCED...you read correctly

Post by sue d. » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:40 pm

Something like this....

Image
Image

User avatar
Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 965
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:11 pm
#1 Album: Wake Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Re: DREAM TEAM REUNION ANNOUNCED...you read correctly

Post by Mountain Man » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:48 pm

brent wrote:Notice Stryper is not involved. Just sayin'.
Or Rez Band, although I don't think Wendy Kaiser is capable of performing any more. Seems I recall she had some serioius health problems at one point.

User avatar
Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 965
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:11 pm
#1 Album: Wake Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Re: DREAM TEAM REUNION ANNOUNCED...you read correctly

Post by Mountain Man » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:51 pm

brent wrote:I don't know her personally to know if she really sold her soul, but she sure did have some demonic imagery in her videos.
I don't know about demonic imagery, but Amy Grant certainly sold out her husband when she claimed that God had released her from her marital commitment so she could finally marry the pretty-boy country singer she had been having an affair with for years. One of my friends who had a lot of connections in the Christian music industry said that Grant's affair with Vince Gill was one of the worst kept secrets in Nashville. I think what really bothers me is that she remains unrepentant.

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2003 10:03 am
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.
Contact:

Re: DREAM TEAM REUNION ANNOUNCED...you read correctly

Post by gman » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:16 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
brent wrote:I don't know her personally to know if she really sold her soul, but she sure did have some demonic imagery in her videos.
I don't know about demonic imagery, but Amy Grant certainly sold out her husband when she claimed that God had released her from her marital commitment so she could finally marry the pretty-boy country singer she had been having an affair with for years. One of my friends who had a lot of connections in the Christian music industry said that Grant's affair with Vince Gill was one of the worst kept secrets in Nashville. I think what really bothers me is that she remains unrepentant.
Yeah, I never heard any repentance either. I would have liked that, plus a statement of don't follow my example. Work things out before you get married to try and make sure you are making a good decision, then continue working after you get married. Instead, she mixed God's grace with finding your soulmate and God wanting you to be happy.

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 4079
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:06 am

Re: DREAM TEAM REUNION ANNOUNCED...you read correctly

Post by brent » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:10 pm

I have nothing to contribute that would benefit anyone, just a bunch of stories....funny ones too. Like when Chapman took some buds hunting in his new jeep. He caught a rabbit, tied some form of an explosive to it, and it ran under his Jeep. Funny stuff.

Anyway, some people should never be married to begin with. If you can't have who you want, you should not marry, or settle. Amy couldn't take it anymore, according to her. Chapman was no saint, according to many. When you stop meeting your wife's needs and live like a J&H, someone's leavin'. Not sayin' it's right. I am just saying, just because you are married doesn't mean you should stay married, if there is no love, no protection, abuse, etc. Abuse can take on many forms. Abuse can come from the female as much as the male.

Famous people get stupid and think they can hide stuff. They can't.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest