DREAM TEAM REUNION ANNOUNCED...you read correctly

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Re: DREAM TEAM REUNION ANNOUNCED...you read correctly

Post by brent » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:34 pm

At the Rock The Halls show in KC, John said the name of the song, but I can't recall what it was. It is only half a song for a video made for a charity event. There will probably be no rehearsal. My guess is they will be playing to tracks or something like that. That is my guess.
0 x

petranite
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petranite » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:10 pm

I Am On The Rock is the song they are doing according to the Rock the Halls Show comment.
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:08 am

brent wrote:It is only half a song for a video made for a charity event.
It's getting less and less by the minute. By the time of the actual show, we will just get one line from the chorus. :lol:

I wonder what's so special about this charity that it made them decide to contribute, while so far nothing else has been able to get them together.
0 x

curt
Pethead
Pethead

Post by curt » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:52 am

The dream team lineup is the only Petra lineup I see having any kind of future, or perhaps a future depending on past merits. If these guys would play together again, it would be the real deal in a nostalgic sence. Some of you may know of personal conflicts making a real reunion impossible. But from a commercial point of view the dream team is the only lineup I would ever imagine being succesful. And I'm not even sure, they can make it.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:26 am

They could mount a successful reunion album and tour if someone was willing to front the money and invest in a boatload of promotion. Like most things in life, money can make it happen.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:54 am

As stated previously, this is not a public show per se. This is a tribute to the old music/bands. I don't think it was ever billed as a concert or show.

The format is likely the limiting factor. This is all speculation, but this is a tribute to multiple artists. Half a song might be what the majority provide. They might very well play between multiple artists, like a fat man sized medley.

Petra commercially viable? No. Not again. Think about it. Commercially viable music has mass appeal. It is the economy of scale that makes it work. The masses are not there in the USA to support a new record or a tour. Their last tour was an inexpensive show comparatively, and it was not a fast sell. Of course, they did have wonderful Wayne doing everything he could to put the nails in their coffins.

We are not an influence in the market as a whole. The influenced and influencees are the youth. There is no demand for legacy acts making their genre of music, except to the existing fans. I believe a Kickstarter campaign could do it. It would need to be in the 80k range for a REAL professional production, with REAL BIG GUNS behind them, and to cover the cost of the rewards. The last album "went nowhere" and that is the reason there will likely not be another....according to John at the RTH show. But, if we would all pay for it in advance, who knows?

Would I like another Petra record? Sure. But, there has to be great music to record. Would a 80k Kickstarter campaign be enough influence to sway Bob to step away from his P&W duties at his church? Is there any music inside of him? Only Bob knows.

I think the best solution is to support the "John with a band" show. You get Greg and Christian. They are doing Petra songs. You get a little of everything. The John Schlitt and Elefante show is a great show. It can cross over. They have more reach into the secular audience and have a great chance to present the Gospel to the lost....IF the church/buyer does their part to promote and open their doors to outsiders.

We will just have to see if something evolves from the reunion. Maybe that reunion will spark something and they will record.
Last edited by brent on Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

fiendik
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beat The System
Pethead since: 2010

Post by fiendik » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:21 pm

Petra will never fully come back; they're just one of the many old bands that simply can't get new fans anymore. They're in the bunch of "classic" bands now (with the Sweet Comfort Band, the Imperials, etc.), and that can't be changed by any amount of money. The only reason any Petra lineup will get together is to remind people of the old days, not to remake them. A full size tour isn't really desirable to enough people to make it worth it... and neither is an album :cry:

John Schlitt, on the other hand, is still there. He can pull off many things which Petra will never do. And he just might get together with "Petra members" Greg Bailey & Christian Borneo, and maybe even Hartman himself. Then they could call that Petra (which it still wouldn't be), or just John Schlitt, which would not only be more accurate, but probably sell better, too.
0 x
"Fiends are a gift from above, fiends are devoted and true..."

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:40 pm

If we can get 4,000 people in this world to come up with $20 Each, I am sure we could motivate Bob to write and the guys to record. Let's see. Everyone send $20 to John and Bob.
Last edited by brent on Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

petraman
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petraman » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:33 pm

Now when you say the guys are you talking about the Dream Team, cause if you are where do I send my 20 dollars?
0 x
WhiteHeart Rox 4 CHRIST!

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:03 pm

...send your $20 to Sue. Fill up her living room with requests for the new record. She will love it.
Last edited by brent on Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:45 pm

brent wrote:If we can get 4,000 people in this world to come up with $20 Each, I am sure we could motivate Bob to write and the guys to record. Let's see.
Unless it is Bob, John, John, Louie & Ronny I don't think anyone is interested. if you record a album with the Dream team, you'll get more than $20 from most.
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:54 am

Dan wrote:Unless it is Bob, John, John, Louie & Ronny I don't think anyone is interested. if you record a album with the Dream team, you'll get more than $20 from most.
Just Bob and John S. would already make me draw my wallet.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:49 am

:mrgreen:
Last edited by brent on Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

superfly
Pethead
Pethead

Post by superfly » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:03 am

I wouldn't need it to be the dream team. What I would want would be new rockin' Hartman tunes. It would have to be Bob's music...for that I would give a bit more than $20.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:14 am

My Kickstarter idea was silly. If they want to make a record, they will. Can't force it.
Last edited by brent on Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x