Greg X Volz Solo

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Adonai
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 2007

Greg X Volz Solo

Post by Adonai » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:53 am

I realize I am way behind the times, but I just started listening to Greg X Volz's solo albums. He released some fantastic stuff! I am personally more of a John fan, but Greg has an amazing voice as well. What are your favorite Volz solo songs? I like I Come Out Fighting, Man Like You, and Livin' For The Bell.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Re: Greg X Volz Solo

Post by Dan » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:14 pm

The stuff straight after Petra is pretty cool, a little corny... Living for the Bell, I come out Fighting are good my number #1: Joyous Grave
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:45 am

Dan wrote:The stuff straight after Petra is pretty cool, a little corny... Living for the Bell, I come out Fighting are good my number #1: Joyous Grave
I'm with you Dan on the early stuff right after Petra; but after that he really fell off. I thought those first 2 albums put Greg in his realm which is mostly pop with a little medium tempo rock mixed in.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:09 pm

This is a great song, imagine it re-done with new guitars etc... this is rocking!

0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:38 pm

I always liked "Break Out of the Trance". "I Want To Be A Man Like You" is a great song with a great message. I still think his version of "Dream On" is definitive.
0 x

fiendik
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beat The System
Pethead since: 2010

Post by fiendik » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:27 pm

"Break Out of The Trance" and "Livin' For the Bell" are both about the #1 for me; I really love that album! The only song on The River Is Rising that I don't really care for is the title track... "Joyous grave" didn't rank very high with me, either, though.

There are two different kinds of Volz songs that I like; the "rockers" (Heaven Is Within You, Come Out Fighting, Set Up, etc.) and the "Inspirational" ones (Man Like You, Waiting on Someday, etc.).

As far as albums go, The River Is Rising is still at the top, but The Exodus is very high in the list... I like the album better than the songs! God Only Knows is next for me; It's the only newer album that I was actually impressed with. Come Out Fighting is decent, but not half as good as his first. No Room In the Middle was rather disappointing; Way too many soft songs, not a whole lot going for it.

Any other albums aren't really worth mentioning; he tried working by himself too much, without any producer, (or anyone else) and made some REALLY WEIRD stuff! (e.g. "There aint no high like the most high!") :lol: So if that's your thing, then Volz certainly did a lot of it. His Christmas album is okay, but not exceptional.
0 x
"Fiends are a gift from above, fiends are devoted and true..."

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:54 pm

The River Is Rising and Exodus are both excellent albums. Greg singing Dream On...Wow. 8) :mrgreen:
0 x

dihigo
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Back to the Rock
Pethead since: 1988

Post by dihigo » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:29 am

I just recently discovered GXV's Xavier (1982) album, and I can't help but wonder how it can sound SO different from Washes Whiter Than considering that both albums used the same studio musicians. I find it much more likable than WWT. Also it sounds very similar to Never Say Die especially on the intro to "Don't Look Back" where he utilizes the same note bend as on "Praise Ye the Lord."
0 x
What are ya lookin' for the Devil for when ya oughta be lookin' for the Lord?