Stryper & Petra concert

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Re: Stryper & Petra concert

Post by Mountain Man » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:41 pm

Thief wrote:
Mountain Man wrote:And a lot of other bands had the dignity to get out when they were still at the top of their game. I just wish Petra would either go all in with a new album and blistering tour, or just hang it up. This is a band that used to fill arenas. Now they're lucky if they can fill a pavilion at a local fair. And it hurts me to say that, because they're still my #1 favorite band.
And a lot of other bands that haven't had the "dignity" are still playing, either for money or just for the fun of it. Either way, I don't see myself as the one who chooses when they should hang their spurs. That's their prerogative as musicians, artists, ministers, etc. If they are comfortable and happy with the way things are going now, more power to them. It is selfish to expect artists to retire when WE want to or when WE feel like it. Besides, if just one person is touched by their music and comes to God because of it, shouldn't that be enough to justify their persistence, instead of thinking of past glories? A band like Petra wasn't created to "fill arenas", but to bring the word of Christ through their music, whether it is to a 20,000 people stadium in India or a 20-people youth gathering in Muskegee, Oklahoma.

And speaking of filling arenas, haven't you noticed the musical landscape in the past 10-20 years? Few rock bands are filling arenas nowadays, if any. That has little to do with Petra and more to do with the course of rock music during the last 20 years or so. All kinds of rock bands, from Def Leppard to Survivor, or Poison to Mötley Crüe have been adjusting themselves to smaller and smaller venues since grunge took over in the 90's. I can only imagine it would be harder for a Christian rock band without a heavy machinery behind, so I'm not willing to hold that against them either.
Whatever, dude. Can't you just disagree without trying to turn it into a moral issue? :roll:
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1990

Post by Thief » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:25 pm

Isn't arguing, discussing, sharing different points of view, etc. the whole point of online forums? I thought that's what we were doing. I wasn't trying to discourage discussion, but rather going on with it.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:24 pm

Yup. Pretty much. That's what I'm paying Go Daddy for. (domain renewal notice just arrived)
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:44 pm

Thief wrote:Isn't arguing, discussing, sharing different points of view, etc. the whole point of online forums? I thought that's what we were doing. I wasn't trying to discourage discussion, but rather going on with it.
Don't give me that "This is the point of the internet" bull. You claimed that my point of view was "selfish", which is making the discussion unnecessarily personal and trying to turn a simple disagreement into a moral issue. My point of view is no more "selfish" than yours, and you don't get to "win" the debate by belittling me in this way.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:59 pm

Now boys. Whoever doesn't play nice has to scoop the poop on Sue's dog track for a week....AND they have to eat her cooking.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:48 pm

How dare you insult Sue and her dog Brent? :P Maybe it was time for another one of these threads, it has been awhile. That being said, I believe I will just opt to stay out of it. I haven't had a chance to read it all yet anyway.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:11 am

Well, I was just thinking that Mother Hen could iron these people out a little. Sometimes the gentle stare while holding up of a trash bag and pooper scooper does wonders.
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1990

Post by Thief » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:30 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
Thief wrote:Isn't arguing, discussing, sharing different points of view, etc. the whole point of online forums? I thought that's what we were doing. I wasn't trying to discourage discussion, but rather going on with it.
Don't give me that "This is the point of the internet" bull. You claimed that my point of view was "selfish", which is making the discussion unnecessarily personal and trying to turn a simple disagreement into a moral issue. My point of view is no more "selfish" than yours, and you don't get to "win" the debate by belittling me in this way.
Geez, I didn't mean that in an overly personal way, at least not in the sense of pointing fingers at you and insulting. It was more of an attempt to make a general point about how WE sometimes wish things would go a certain way without considering how the persons that are actually involved feel. Just to take it back to my main point, if John & Co. are happy and comfortable playing to 50-or-so crowds, well, then more power to them.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:46 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
Thief wrote:
Mountain Man wrote:And a lot of other bands had the dignity to get out when they were still at the top of their game. I just wish Petra would either go all in with a new album and blistering tour, or just hang it up. This is a band that used to fill arenas. Now they're lucky if they can fill a pavilion at a local fair. And it hurts me to say that, because they're still my #1 favorite band.
And a lot of other bands that haven't had the "dignity" are still playing, either for money or just for the fun of it. Either way, I don't see myself as the one who chooses when they should hang their spurs. That's their prerogative as musicians, artists, ministers, etc. If they are comfortable and happy with the way things are going now, more power to them. It is selfish to expect artists to retire when WE want to or when WE feel like it. Besides, if just one person is touched by their music and comes to God because of it, shouldn't that be enough to justify their persistence, instead of thinking of past glories? A band like Petra wasn't created to "fill arenas", but to bring the word of Christ through their music, whether it is to a 20,000 people stadium in India or a 20-people youth gathering in Muskegee, Oklahoma.

And speaking of filling arenas, haven't you noticed the musical landscape in the past 10-20 years? Few rock bands are filling arenas nowadays, if any. That has little to do with Petra and more to do with the course of rock music during the last 20 years or so. All kinds of rock bands, from Def Leppard to Survivor, or Poison to Mötley Crüe have been adjusting themselves to smaller and smaller venues since grunge took over in the 90's. I can only imagine it would be harder for a Christian rock band without a heavy machinery behind, so I'm not willing to hold that against them either.
Whatever, dude. Can't you just disagree without trying to turn it into a moral issue? :roll:

I think you both make great points and agree some with both; in some ways I wish they would have retired on top, but in other ways I really cherish what they have done over the last several years. I really think Greg Bailey has added so much to the band and from that I really wish that we could have seen him play and record during the heyday of the band. BTW I don't think anyone meant anything personal by any of the remarks, please just take it for what it is a discussion that has 2 valid sides.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:32 am

Thief wrote:
Mountain Man wrote:
Geez, I didn't mean that in an overly personal way, at least not in the sense of pointing fingers at you and insulting. It was more of an attempt to make a general point about how WE sometimes wish things would go a certain way without considering how the persons that are actually involved feel. Just to take it back to my main point, if John & Co. are happy and comfortable playing to 50-or-so crowds, well, then more power to them.
Calling it "selfish" was a poor way to make that point. It's not selfishness to hold a certain point of view unless I'm actively trying to get my way at the expense of others.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:18 pm

I had shellfish once. Didn't care for it.
0 x

Big_E
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beat The System
Pethead since: 1986

Post by Big_E » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:40 pm

This is Eric...formerly Masada1. Haven't been on the board in ages...and thought I'd see what was happening. Forgot how whiny this board can get sometimes. Dudes...or dudettes, whatever the case may be....for the love of all that's holy, please grow some skin. Holy smokes...it reminds me of church sometimes on this board...thin-skinned over the word "selfish"...sheesh. I get called worse than that twice before I've had my morning coffee!

On a lighter note...loved the videos of the Puerto Rico concerts...John sounded the best he has in years. And, with the first notes from John L.'s keys, I thought....this is Petra! I would love to see this lineup play in the states...the addition of keys changes everything for me. I loved Jekyll and Hyde, but hated the loss of the keys in the touring phase. Anyway...just glad to see them still out there once in a blue moon! Hope all is well with my fellow Petheads!

Eric
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:22 am

Hi Eric, I remember you. It has been awhile. Things are pretty much same-old, same-old around here. Things will be calm for awhile, and then someone will take offense at something someone posts, or the thread will totally go off topic, and then things will calm down again. One of the drawbacks of message boards where people can't see or hear each other.

Hope you're doing well.
0 x