Adonai

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Petra4Me
Pethead
Pethead

Adonai

Post by Petra4Me » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:57 pm

Hi everyone.

I still visit to see what's up with all of Petradom.

Anyhow, If you haven't seen it yet, Kevin Brandow did a killer job on his version of Petra's Adonai.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPqf1t6Gbpc

Enjoy!

Petra4Me.
0 x
With No Difiance, Just God Reliance! - Petra

dihigo
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Back to the Rock
Pethead since: 1988

Re: Adonai

Post by dihigo » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:24 am

Well done! Too bad Petra didn't sound like that while he was a member of the band.
0 x
What are ya lookin' for the Devil for when ya oughta be lookin' for the Lord?

rlester
Pethead
Pethead

Post by rlester » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:32 pm

No kidding, that sounded great. Nice job.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:37 pm

They did sound like that back in '99 when he was in the band, they played this song exactly the same. There was a live mp3 floating around back in the day.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:36 am

Dan is right; I saw Petra with this lineup 3 times and they played Adonai each time and it was just like this. The weird thing is 2 of the times Kevin played lead on this song but the other time Pete did; I often wondered how often they would trade off being the lead in concert. Kevin also recorded some of the drums on God Fixation because Louie wasn't "available". I always felt like Kevin was the better Guitar payer over Pete.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

mkepethead
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1985

Post by mkepethead » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:51 am

Like that alot
0 x
Petra Means Rock!

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:31 pm

They played it at Creation. I remember it was awesome. I saw Kevin live, and he did sme stuff off of PP2. He's a good player.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:38 am

executioner wrote:I always felt like Kevin was the better Guitar payer over Pete.
From what I've heard, Pete Orta was a very accomplished guitarist, but his on-stage antics made him sound sloppy.
Last edited by Mountain Man on Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:39 am

Mountain Man wrote:
executioner wrote:I always felt like Kevin was the better Guitar payer over Pete.
From what I've heard, Pete Orta was a very accomplished guitarist, but his on-stage antics would made him sound sloppy.
Maybe in the studio, but on stage and live he was/is very sloppy and actually plays very little of the chords in the music. He is what they call a "nonthinker guitar player". He feels the moment and goes with it. Brandow is the more accomplished IMO and would have been very glad if he would had stayed around.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:51 am

Pete couldn't play the chords or solos Bob played. Not all guitarists play, think, feel the same way. so, it's understandable. Pete WAS sloppy. It made John mad that the late 90s Petra could not capture the vibe of the tunes and play them in a recognizable fashion. When Bob left, Petra was just a cover band with John singing.
0 x

dihigo
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Back to the Rock
Pethead since: 1988

Post by dihigo » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:39 am

brent wrote:Pete couldn't play the chords or solos Bob played. Not all guitarists play, think, feel the same way. so, it's understandable. Pete WAS sloppy. It made John mad that the late 90s Petra could not capture the vibe of the tunes and play them in a recognizable fashion. When Bob left, Petra was just a cover band with John singing.
I've always referred to the late '90s version of Petra as the "Coy & Vance" years.
0 x
What are ya lookin' for the Devil for when ya oughta be lookin' for the Lord?

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:03 pm

What would have happened if Petra finished when Bob left? would it have a different legacy? I agree Brent, it was a cover band to a certain degree after Bob left. Every album after Bob left was painful to embrace.
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:04 pm

That is one fantastic video! Kevin really impressed me with this.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call

Post by Mountain Man » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:37 pm

Dan wrote:What would have happened if Petra finished when Bob left? would it have a different legacy? I agree Brent, it was a cover band to a certain degree after Bob left. Every album after Bob left was painful to embrace.
We've talked about this before on this board, and the general opinion is that if Petra had retired with Wake-Up Call and then came storming back 10-years later with Jekyll and Hyde then things would be a lot different today. The problem, I think, is that from No Doubt to Revival, they alienated too many of their loyal fans and failed to attract new ones, and people just sort of stopped caring about them, which is why the Farewell recording had such an unfortunately small audience (I think it was less than 200 people).
0 x

musicwithharry
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: More Power To Ya

Post by musicwithharry » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:28 pm

I think that Adonai should have been more of a rocker and the version uploaded for this thread is a good one :)

With regard to the other comments about stopping after Wake Up Call, I personally liked some of what was on No Doubt. However, I agree that if they stopped after WUC and then 'hit us where we live' (sorry, I had to.....) with Jekyll and Hyde, the impact would have been huge. With that said, I think that John L. would have had to play on J&H though in order for it to make lots of impact in that regard. As a keyboardist, I know that is my thought...

I really quit listening to their new stuff after No Doubt. I preferred the all out rock of the previous works, especially the GXV era (I found Petra in 1983). I remember hearing the title cut to J&H though and was so excited to get it and loved it (at least the really rocking songs) so yes, had they been away from things during their period after WUC, then they may still be going right now...or at least have a more impactful memory on the modern community and Petra's music.

Keep in mind, I say that with Petra being my favorite band out of all the bands I listen to.

Grace,
Harry
0 x