A Conversation with John Slick

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
jmslick
Founding or Official Member of Petra
Founding or Official Member of Petra
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1979

Re: A Conversation with John Slick

Post by jmslick » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:38 pm

Natebor wrote:Who would have thought that on that album, the actual hidden part was in More Power To Ya, not Judas Kiss (which wasn't exactly hidden). I listened to that bridge 5 or 6 times on the way to work. I hear the piano part, he sawtooth synth part, but not the doxology. Granted, my windows were down, but still... Any further clues where it might be most noticeable?

I came to keyboard study relatively late... not serious study until about 21 or so. I had been an aimless young musician in a bar band, but was searching for more. Being inspired by the late great Virgil Fox, I wanted to learn to play classical organ music of J. S. Bach, but was entirely unprepared. Fortunately, I began piano study with a capable teacher who, in addition to classical compositions, had me also play the Doxology in all the keys, as a means of developing finger strength, and familiarity with the feel of the different chord patterns. It was an invaluable lesson.

The Doxology appears across the entire bridge of MPTY (2:19 -2:48) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8SnzjY4mTI&t=2m17s as a simulated pipe organ sound. Also note the increased bass "pedal" in that section, sort of like a cathedral organ. The chord changes of the song perfectly fit the old hymn tune.

Aside from me and the few people that have read about this, no one would notice. I always disliked the end of the bridge when it lands on a big 1-major9 chord. That still sounds like the "stinger" in a bad commercial. I also dislike the watery piano effect, which JDB applied during mix, but I guess he was right to add it because it gives the song a unique aural identity.

Bits of the Doxology also appear on the so-called "Visions" mish-mash.

I guess I couldn't think of anything else to play. :roll:
0 x

Natebor
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: NOTW
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Natebor » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:34 pm

OK. After a few dozen more times I can finally hear it. It wasn't even buried like I expected, just hiding.

My 3yo is developing a taste for (mostly old) Petra. He'll say "I like that song" if I skip past one looking for something specific. Sometimes he'll ask for "The Paul and Silas Song", and he's been digging the B side of NSD a lot too. (Some tasty organ in Father Of Lights BTW). He was doing somersaults and kicks during Louie's drum solo back on the Classic Petra tour about 4 years ago. Kiddo absolutely loves drums and bass.
0 x

dihigo
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Back to the Rock
Pethead since: 1988

Post by dihigo » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:58 pm

John, I was wondering. During the recording process, it is said that bands often record more songs than what actually appears on the finished album. During your time in Petra, was this ever the case? Does Bob have a "vault" of unreleased Petra material?
0 x
What are ya lookin' for the Devil for when ya oughta be lookin' for the Lord?

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:42 pm

I'm not John, but I'm pretty sure the answer is no (I recall asking Bob Hartman about this at one time many, many years ago). Petra never had a huge budget to work with, so they didn't have the resources to record material that wasn't actually going on an album. Bob might have the odd demo here and there, but nothing like the catalog of finished but unreleased songs that secular bands seem to have.
0 x