For John Slick

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Rusty
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Not of this world
Pethead since: 1987

For John Slick

Post by Rusty » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:58 am

Hey John, if you're still out there, can you give us any insight to the procedure for recording the Petra backing vocals? Thanks Mr. Slick for taking the time, we really appreciate it!
0 x

Rusty
Pethead
Pethead

Re: For John Slick

Post by Rusty » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:41 am

What I was really wanting to know was, when we hear backing vocals are we hearing 3-4 guys, or Greg being multi-tracked? I know Mark sang lead for half of "Disciple", but I wonder about the rest...I have always thought the backing vocals on NSD, MPTY and NOTW were very strong, not like the hyper processed Multi-tracking of John Elefante's voice on later recordings...
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:58 am

John will chime in maybe, but from what everyone said, Volz did the majority of the backing vocals. It wasn't until Schlitt era that the other guys were included on a regular basis, including John E.
0 x

Rusty
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Rusty » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:33 am

Wow, I would have thought it was the other way around, only instead of John Schlitt doing the multi-track BGV's it was John E. On the E Bros. recordings, his voice in the bgv's is about all I can hear! Listen to anything from Vinyl Confessions or Drastic Measures, the bgv's sound exactly the same....oh well....
0 x

dihigo
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Back to the Rock
Pethead since: 1988

Post by dihigo » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:40 pm

I've often wondered about the inspiration for "Disciple" being a duet. Did Bob originally write it as a duet? If so, why was Mark Kelly chosen? (I believe I heard on the Classic Petra documentary DVD that Mark was once the lead vocalist for a band prior to joining Petra.) Finally, why didn't Petra ever attempt another duet after this? I'm hoping John Slick can chime in to shed some light.
0 x
What are ya lookin' for the Devil for when ya oughta be lookin' for the Lord?