Petra, White Heart and the Orlando Terrorist Attack

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Petra, White Heart and the Orlando Terrorist Attack

Post by fcollazo » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:50 pm

I am concerned about the lack of support from the christian community and christian artists on this tragedy in my hometown of Orlando. We can show support for the victims and our city without agreeing with someones life style. Yes, the majority of the victims were gay and yes the majority were also hispanic, specifically Puertorrican. But still they were American human beings.

For example, John's new band continued on their schedule on their facebook page like nothing happened. Not even acknowledging the pain that some many American families are goin through. Maybe if they were not gay and Puertorrican?
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Re: Petra, White Heart and the Orlando Terrorist Attack

Post by Shell » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:25 pm

Not making a Facebook announcement doesn't equal not caring or not being sad for the victims. Of course it's a sad thing. Nobody deserves to be murdered whether you agree with their lifestyle or not. The issue here isn't discrimination. The problem here is with the individual(s) committing terrorist attacks, not who the victims might be. The focus should be on dealing with terrorists, not making it a discrimination issue or race issue or gun control issue, which is what the media is making it. People need to speak up and start saying "enough" with terrorist attacks. Christian bands for the most part usually have people running their pages for them by the way, they probably aren't on Facebook a lot.
1 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:52 pm

Personally, I could care less and do not think it is a bad thing if artists refrain from using their platform to highlight the event. Artists are average citizens and can benefit the world by doing what we all should be doing.

I think the reason you don't see too much of anyone Christian limelight doing a whole lot about it is they will catch hell from one side or the other for saying or doing the wrong thing. All it would take is a speech about loving people as a licenses for extreme right-wingers to say, "See?! That demonic Christian rock embraces homosexuality." You can't win.

I don't care that it was a gay bar and the homophobe, power-tripping, attention starved Muslim did it. I don't care about the weapon and for arguing about guns. People were murdered. The end. THAT should be the story. It should not be intertwined with the other stuff, IMO. I am tired of all of the politicizing and grand standing. Christians should stay out of it. We lost our rights to stick our nose in the world's business when our track record for obedience is no better.
1 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:43 pm

Well put Brent. And as I pointed out, not saying anything on the Internet doesn't mean they aren't doing what they can to help.

There has been political and social propaganda circulating in the media for as long as media in its various forms has existed. While there is nothing intrinsically wrong with the news media reporting on different topics, they can and do manipulate things for their own purpose, which is pretty much to sell stories. That isn't a criticism, it's an observation about how things work.

The media can be a good thing if it motivates people to change things for the better, but it can also motivate people to focus on something other than the underlying issue.
1 x

Markus
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Markus » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:34 am

If i may add my 2 cents:
fcollazo wrote:But still they were American human beings.
1 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:17 am

Just a thought as I read this. It reminded me of something Jon Bon Jovi once said in an interview. He said he had the right, as an American citizen, to participate in political rallies with candidates, but he learned that when it came to Bon Jovi in the context of music, no one wanted to hear his political or social opinions. They were there for the music.
1 x

jmslick
Founding or Official Member of Petra
Founding or Official Member of Petra
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1979

Post by jmslick » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:53 pm

fcollazo wrote:I am concerned about the lack of support from the christian community and christian artists on this tragedy in my hometown of Orlando.
How about support from muslims? Where's THAT?
1 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1990

Post by Thief » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:29 am

brent wrote:Personally, I could care less and do not think it is a bad thing if artists refrain from using their platform to highlight the event. Artists are average citizens and can benefit the world by doing what we all should be doing.

I think the reason you don't see too much of anyone Christian limelight doing a whole lot about it is they will catch hell from one side or the other for saying or doing the wrong thing. All it would take is a speech about loving people as a licenses for extreme right-wingers to say, "See?! That demonic Christian rock embraces homosexuality." You can't win.

I don't care that it was a gay bar and the homophobe, power-tripping, attention starved Muslim did it. I don't care about the weapon and for arguing about guns. People were murdered. The end. THAT should be the story. It should not be intertwined with the other stuff, IMO. I am tired of all of the politicizing and grand standing. Christians should stay out of it. We lost our rights to stick our nose in the world's business when our track record for obedience is no better.
I agree with this.
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1990

Post by Thief » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:32 am

jmslick wrote:
fcollazo wrote:I am concerned about the lack of support from the christian community and christian artists on this tragedy in my hometown of Orlando.
How about support from muslims? Where's THAT?
Support from the Muslim community has been there from the start...

http://www.local10.com/news/muslim-comm ... -donations

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... /85790320/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video/na ... video.html

http://www.bustle.com/articles/166347-m ... example-of
0 x