Dream Concert

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
wildmanpetra
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: WUC
Pethead since: 1985

Dream Concert

Post by wildmanpetra » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:42 pm

Stryper, Petra AND Whitecross in concert together! This would have been my dream concert back in my high school days...
https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154053066058577
0 x

dihigo
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Back to the Rock
Pethead since: 1988

Re: Dream Concert

Post by dihigo » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:15 pm

Nice!
0 x
What are ya lookin' for the Devil for when ya oughta be lookin' for the Lord?

Carolina Petra Fan
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1993

Post by Carolina Petra Fan » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:24 am

If I lived closer I would go. Stryper is my least favorite of the three, and of course Petra is my most favorite. I would love to see Petra with Bob. The two times I've seen Petra (PP2 tour and Greatest Hits tour) were without him.
0 x
Carolina Petra Fan

pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: All of Them

Post by pmal » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:41 pm

Where are you, Carolina? I'm thinking of driving up from Greenville, SC.
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1990

Post by Thief » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:48 pm

I saw Petra and Stryper last year and I would fully recommend it. I'm obviously a Petra fan, so I was completely satisfied after Petra finished their set; but Stryper really brought it. I've seen them 3-4 times already and this was the time when I saw them most energetic. They kicked snot.

I never got into Whitecross that much. Liked what I've heard, but never ventured too far with their music.
0 x

Carolina Petra Fan
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1993

Post by Carolina Petra Fan » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:38 am

pmal wrote:Where are you, Carolina? I'm thinking of driving up from Greenville, SC.
Yeah, I live in the upstate of SC.
0 x
Carolina Petra Fan

axelegend
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 2001

Post by axelegend » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:50 am

Did anyone else from here attend the Petra/Whitecross/Stryper show this past weekend in Indianapolis? If so, what did you think? Below are some of my thoughts:

Petra put on a solid performance, but I was *shocked* to hear them cover Aerosmith's "Livin' On The Edge" (which sounded excellent, by the way!). The last time I saw Petra was when we brought them to Youngstown, Ohio in 2005 as part of the Farewell Tour (almost exactly 11 years ago - how time flies!). John's voice was rock solid, and the rest of the band was tight. The set list was similar to the usual Farewell set, but with a few additions, such as the aforementioned "Livin' On The Edge" (which transitioned into "Jekyll & Hyde"), "I Am On The Rock", and "Just Reach Out." It was great to have John Lawry on keys - he added a lot of depth to the band's overall sound, and it was fun to see Bob and him duel between guitar and keys during the extended solo section of "Judas' Kiss." Prior to this past weekend, I'd only seen Petra in concert 3 times since 2003, and this performance was the strongest I've seen from them.

Whitecross was the main reason I went, because I had never seen them perform in concert - and also because Rex Carroll (along with Eddie Van Halen) was one of my main influences and inspired me to first pick up the guitar 20 years ago. I was impressed by their performance. Rex Carroll, Mike Feighan, and Benny Ramos were all spot-on instrumentally, and Scott Wenzel's lead vocals were fairly strong until the last couple of songs after Rex's guitar solo (it appeared he was having difficulty with his in-ear monitors). As a musician, one of the big things that has impressed me through the years about Whitecross (and Van Halen, as well as Petra) is how full the band sounds live, especially with just one guitarist. Many rock bands rely on having 2 guitarists to fill out the sound, but having guitarists who are solid at both lead guitar and rhythm guitar helps keep the bands' overall sound full.

Stryper was solid as always - I'd seen Stryper 5 or 6 times over the past few years, but this was the best Stryper concert and performance by far! They played the "To Hell With The Devil" album in its entirety and in sequence, took a few minutes for a break, and returned to play a second set containing the other hits and more modern tracks. This was noticeably the best performance I've seen from Robert Sweet on drums, and the rest of the band absolutely nailed it. From the standpoint of a guitarist, having anyone follow Rex Carroll's performance with Whitecross would be an interesting feat, but Oz Fox and Mike Sweet always do a good job holding their own.

After the concert was over, I'd hoped to run into John Schlitt, Bob Hartman, John Lawry, Greg Bailey, and Cristian Borneo from Petra, but didn't get a chance to see them. Surprisingly, Petra did not even have a merchandise table at the venue. I did get to talk with Rex and Benny from Whitecross, which was a real treat. Both of them mentioned how impressed they were with Petra's performance - and Benny said that he was very grateful to be able to spend some time with John Schlitt and Bob Hartman earlier that day. Scott Wenzel even made some comments from the stage about how he was thrilled to be able to see Petra perform, since he'd grown up listening to some of their music. Even from some of the comments I've seen from Michael Sweet recently, it seems like there's a healthy appreciation from both Stryper and Whitecross for the music and work that Petra has done through the years. That's cool to see!
Last edited by axelegend on Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Christopher L. Bayda
baydamusic.com
facebook | twitter

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:20 pm

Good for you buddy. Sounds like you had a good time. Most people have no idea how hard it is for musicians not to nit pick.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:46 pm

Sounds awesome. Wish I could have gone. Too bad some savvy producer didn't turn this into a live album and concert video, but of course that requires dollars, and who knows if it would have recouped the cost. Still, a triple draw with three of the biggest rock acts in Christian music would have been pretty easy to market.

And yeah, Petra doing an Aerosmith cover is pretty surprising, but I bet they killed it.
0 x

JMBJR72
Pethead
Pethead

Post by JMBJR72 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:16 pm

I also went the concert. Petra sound awesome! I am not sure if we will see it again! It was not sold out and I am sure whom ever put it together may have not broke even
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:07 pm

JMBJR72 wrote:It was not sold out and I am sure whom ever put it together may have not broke even
That's too bad.
0 x

pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: All of Them

Post by pmal » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:21 pm

Compilation vid:

0 x

BriGuyPEI
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1989

Post by BriGuyPEI » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:34 pm

The Aerosmith cover is from 7:29 - 8:35
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:10 pm

It preaches. It is just as relevant today as the day it was written. I too have wondered when a Christian band would cover it. Of course, GXZ covered Dream On.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:52 am

Thanks for the video, pmal! They sound great. Hard to believe John and Bob are as old as my dad, and they're still kicking it on stage. Bob is looking really good these days. I think he's lost some weight.
0 x