JDB

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

JDB

Post by p-freak » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:44 pm

It seems Jonathan David Brown passed away yesterday. I read a post on facebook by Oden Fong (of Mustard Seed Faith), who posted about this and put up a link to a funding campaign to aid JDB's widow: https://www.gofundme.com/2rhfe2nw

I saw several messages with the same content on different Jesus Music related pages and lots of posts to JDB's personal facebook (as Jonathan David Blocker) from people who heard the same, so, sadly, it seems to be true.

Let's remember him for his contribution in creating the Petra sound of the early 80s.
1 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Re: JDB

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:50 pm

Sad to hear. He was an underrated producer who created some of Petra's best sounding music. The 80's Petra albums have a depth and texture to them that is missing from the flat "everything up front" mix favored by the Elefante Bros.
1 x

dihigo
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Back to the Rock
Pethead since: 1988

Post by dihigo » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:30 pm

It's sad that he had such a checkered past. He produced some of my favorite albums! R.I.P.
1 x
What are ya lookin' for the Devil for when ya oughta be lookin' for the Lord?

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:51 pm

dihigo wrote:It's sad that he had such a checkered past.
I think if we're honest, we'd all have to admit to a "checkered past". I know there's a lot I'm going to be very ashamed of on Judgment Day. Thank God for the blood of Jesus!
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:02 pm

None of us are without checkers.

He read the bible a different way than most of us do. That's it.

He was a pioneer. There are millions of people who don't know him, but appreciated his work. The CCM industry used him while he benefited them and then turned it's back on him when he lived outside of their box. It is classic.

We had so many of the same places and people in our history in Oklahoma. We just never crossed paths when we were both there. We met once in OKC. spoke on the phone from time to time, texted and emailed more. I took is son to his first rock concert in OKC (Rush). He used to offer up some amazing stories of behind the scenes CCM stuff. He almost mixed PDC's Mechanism record that was never really finished.

Pray for his family. They are a tight, strong bunch. But, they will need prayer.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:20 pm

Oh wow... I didn't know he died.

A number of years ago I was privileged to do a fairly lengthy interview with him... since I had not been around when the "sordid past" took place, and since nothing much was to be found online about what happened, I was wondering if he wanted to tell his side of the story and offered to write and post however deep he wanted to go.

He obliged, and we had quite a conversation. Amazingly, PART of it's still online. I just remembered that years later he asked that portion to be removed, and we did. I still have it but it's in MS Works format, and it's not really opening properly any more.

He also released a CD called Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God; I have the CD; I really like it. I haven't listened to it in years; I think it's time to pull it out.

You can read the interview and a review of the CD here, on MJ's GUIDE TO PETRA page: http://guidetopetra.com/JDB/index.htm

BTW, JDB's wife Rachael and GXV's first wife, Becky, are sisters.
1 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:50 pm

Rachel said the funeral is Sunday in Ava, MO. I am going to go.
0 x

jmslick
Founding or Official Member of Petra
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1979

Post by jmslick » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:53 am

JDB was not of this world.

My memories of JDB are of his impish smile, gregarious nature, creative style, and funny slogans. He used to refer to people as "Doctor" or "you genius", etc. About the keyboard part at end of Chameleon, he remarked, "That's where the chameleon died."

JDB was very encouraging to me regarding my playing and synth work. During recording of the three albums which I worked on (the only REAL Petra albums :mrgreen:), he never tried to tell me what to do or not do. He also offered to help me get started in the L.A. music scene. I never discovered how realistic that might have been because I never moved to L.A., but I do think that he would have been a valuable mentor and friend.

In addition to the overall texture of the audio mix, JDB added many subtle creative accents. I've never confirmed this, but I always thought that it was his voice singing the low octave on part of the second verse of NOTW: "we must tarry; with this message we must carry". Maybe it was not him, but it may have been his idea, and I always liked that subtle touch. It was JDB's idea to add the watery effect to the piano hook on MPTYa, and he added the fading echo to the synth track on the ending of Judas' Kiss. Both of those subtle touches added more interest to the element.

I believe it's realistic to say that JDB was as integral to the early 80's Petra sound as any band member.
1 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:51 pm

I'm sorry to hear about this.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:23 am

Yes, This is a bit of a shock. He really was the master of that early sound. Brent could you pass regards to his family from early Petra fans please.
1 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:23 am

Yep. Will do.
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:49 pm

Sorry Brent. This not just reading the Bible differently. It baffles me how we try to cover the sky with your hands. I enjoyed those records and I have been blessed by them but when I learned what happened it left a bad taste in my mouth. I even wonder if Greg has the same inclinations as they were so close by marriage. There's no room in Christ for hate groups or hate philosophy. It doesn't matter if it's White pride, Black pride, Latino Pride, Asian pride or Native American Pride. It is the same as if we see one of those false teachers and preachers on TBN and we look the other way letting the world feel like we are good or we are okay with it.
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:53 pm

At the same time I feel sorry for his wife and his children We are not perfect and we are all sinners and we all should make sure we have all of our business straight with God, of course including me.
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

jmslick
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1979

Post by jmslick » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:37 pm

fcollazo wrote:This not just reading the Bible differently. when I learned what happened it left a bad taste in my mouth. I even wonder if Greg has the same inclinations as they were so close by marriage.
"What happened"? What did happen?

The only difference between those in the spotlight and those who are not is the spotlight.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:53 pm

I'm sort of curious too. I vaguely remember reading years ago he had unconventional beliefs, but I don't remember the details it's been so long. Maybe someone could message me and refresh my memory if they'd rather not discuss it in this thread? It's just curiousity on my part; I'm not trying to dig up dirt or argue about something that happened a long time ago.
0 x