CPR

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Re: CPR

Post by executioner » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:28 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:33 pm
dihigo wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:44 am
It's very quiet around here. Does this CPR thread need a cardio pulmonary resuscitation? According to Greg's most recent Facebook post, mixing begins mid-June. Wasn't this album supposed to drop back in March???
To be honest, I'm not that excited about this project. Classic Petra was fun for what it was, but I want new music, not another remake album.
EXACTLY Mountain Man! I'm not feeling it either, I want new music and I want Bob involved; it doesn't seem right without his input.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:54 pm

That Steve Taylor video is hilarious! love it!

I have to agree that the remakes with CPR, while nice, just doesn't get me that excited.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:26 am

I would go see them live, but have little interest in the CD. I know what they are capable of, which makes this sad.
0 x

John Boy
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1983

Post by John Boy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:25 pm

I'm excited to hear the finished product although I don't particularly care about the entire song list. I could do without "For Annie" and "Dream On." There. I said it. Anyway, I agree with the potential and talent these five guys have. Still, as a lover of older music and performers, generally I don't like new stuff by older performers. I may have already made these statements before, but I'm getting older and more forgetful. Forgive me if I repeat. I love Journey. I'm not an Arnel Pineda fan nor do I care for most of what they've put out in the last ten years, which is not much. Foreigner, Styx, what new stuff they've done doesn't impress me. Night Ranger has put out a few albums over the last twenty years. I don't like any of their new stuff. In this day and age, old bands should ride the greatest hits train and milk it for what it's worth. Their new music doesn't sound like their old stuff, and it sounds like a desperate attempt at staying relevant. For me, and maybe just me, Toto is one of the few "classic" bands that can still put out new material and it sounds like Toto. Yet again, that might be just my opinion.
Part of my excitement revolves around the slim possibility of seeing some incarnation live. I have never seen any Petra member live. I'm a second generation child who during Petra's most successful years didn't have a way to their concerts. My parents frowned upon Christian rock anyway although one of my mother's favorite songs was a rendition of "Grave Robber" my friend's band did at our church one time. I was supposed to see Classic Petra in Branson, MO on their tour, but that show was canceled due to embezzlement by some crooked preacher who didn't pay the promoter or something like that. As a bass player, I really wanted to see Mark Kelly. Now, hopefully, I'll get to see Ronny Cates. Two completely different styles of playing, both were huge influences upon me. I didn't get to see Mark (and probably never will), but maybe I'll get to see Ronny. I did use the term "slim possibility" though. Where is there a market for such music? The Union of Sinners and Saints tour did come within a couple of hours of my hometown here in Arkansas, but I was unable to make it. That album, yet again my opinion, didn't do much for me, so not seeing that tour didn't really bother me. That goes back to the classic bands trying to put out new music topic I mentioned. The new music doesn't hold up to the classic music, so I understand covering the old songs. That line-up didn't do much for me either. Whiteheart with John Schlitt and another guy. Okay. I appreciate the efforts of some of these artists though. I saw where Rex Carroll and Michael Feighan of Whitecross and Jamie Rowe and David Bach of Guardian are teaming up. That might be pretty cool. Although not a huge Guardian fan, I did love Whitecross back in the day. This combination might be something to see and hear. Whiteheart tried a comeback a few years ago. That failed. I admire the drive these artists have and wish them the best. I feel a lot of our modern Christian music today is so diluted and generic. The message isn't clear if there is a message at all.
So, after all of this, what am I trying to say? Honestly, I'm really not sure. I forgot what I said to begin with. Just kidding. I hope the CPR album is great. I hope they tour. This 43-year-old would love to see Ronny live. I shouldn't be so negative. I saw Paul McCartney last year. I didn't have to drive eight hours. I didn't have to spend $1,000 for a ticket. I spent $76.50 for good seats at Verizon Arena in North Little Rock, AR, an hour from where I live. If I can do that, surely somehow I can see CPR or any other possible classic Christian rock group.
Ronny did update his Facebook page. Hopefully, we'll see and hear more soon.
0 x

PiedPiper
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1986

Post by PiedPiper » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:46 am

John Boy, in general I agree with your take that older bands trying to make new music doesn't usually do it for me. Although, I thought Petra was done after Bob left, but then they came back with J&H, which was quite good. I also really enjoy the Classic Petra album and those remakes, not the newer songs though. I'm hopeful that CPR will be similar in quality to Classic Petra. Of course, I have my doubts due to the fact that Bob's not involved, but I'll give it a listen.
0 x
There is a road inside of you; inside of me there is one too.
No stumbling pilgrim in the dark, the road to Zion's in your heart.

John Boy
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: More Power To Ya

Post by John Boy » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:09 am

Pied Piper,

I agree with you. The Classic Petra remakes were good. I liked the mix of instruments better especially with the songs around the Beat the System era. They still had keyboards but they didn't dominate the sound like the originals. Every instrument blended well. Every instrument had equal opportunities. Vocals were great. That's why I'm ready to hear the CPR project. With John Lawry behind the production, I'm sure it will sound good. I will miss Bob being a part of it, but I'm curious to hear Kirk's work on it to see if he strays from Bob's original solos, matches them note for note, or matches them with a twist.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call

Post by Mountain Man » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:40 pm

PiedPiper wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:46 am
I thought Petra was done after Bob left...
As I've mentioned before, Bob never really left. He stopped touring, but he was still an active member of the band through producing, writing songs, and performing in the studio.
0 x

dihigo
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Back to the Rock
Pethead since: 1988

Post by dihigo » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:46 pm

John Boy wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:09 am
I'm curious to hear Kirk's work on it to see if he strays from Bob's original solos, matches them note for note, or matches them with a twist.
I recently asked Kirk how he felt his guitar style differed from Bob's, and this is what he had to say.
Kirk Henderson wrote: I guess my vibrato is kind of wilder. Bob is very meticulous and planned out with solos. I kind of improvise on the fly.
0 x
What are ya lookin' for the Devil for when ya oughta be lookin' for the Lord?

PiedPiper
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1986

Post by PiedPiper » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:39 am

Mountain Man wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:40 pm
PiedPiper wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:46 am
I thought Petra was done after Bob left...
As I've mentioned before, Bob never really left. He stopped touring, but he was still an active member of the band through producing, writing songs, and performing in the studio.
Mountain Man,
Understood. I'll correct my statement to be, I thought Petra was done when I didn't see Bob in concert or on the album covers anymore and the music went to pot, but when J&H was released I was happily surprised.
0 x
There is a road inside of you; inside of me there is one too.
No stumbling pilgrim in the dark, the road to Zion's in your heart.

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:06 am

Yesterday, GXV said mixing has begun.
0 x

dihigo
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Back to the Rock
Pethead since: 1988

Post by dihigo » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:16 am

brent wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:06 am
Yesterday, GXV said mixing has begun.
What are ya lookin' for the CPR album for when ya oughta be lookin' for The Union of Sinners & Saints? 8)
0 x
What are ya lookin' for the Devil for when ya oughta be lookin' for the Lord?

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:59 pm

That project is not my cup of tea. Hope other people like it to support the guys. I hope CPR sells so Louie gets his investment back.
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:59 pm

brent wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:59 pm
I hope CPR sells so Louie gets his investment back.
Hope they've got a good plan to get exposure. Not sure if fb presence by itself will be enough. Does anyone know if they've got a proper label / marketing / distribution deal in place? If there isn't one, I hope Louie didn't invest too much... A different cover would already help.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:50 pm

All indie. I don't think they need anyone. They can get distribution themselves, but it will take cash from their pockets.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call

Post by Mountain Man » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:10 am

Without Bob Hartman's involvement, it's going to be really hard to sell this as a Petra album -- which is essentially what they're trying to do. I don't think anybody is fooled by the "CPR" name (which I still think stands for "Classic Petra Redux"). And seeing how Classic Petra only really appealed to the diehards, and this "Classic Petra minus Bob" project is likely to have an even smaller draw, I just don't see it doing particularly well. They really should have gone the route of The Union of Sinners and Saints and given us something original. Seriously, all these guys have way too much talent to waste it on trying to recapture their glory days with Petra.
0 x