CPR

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Re: CPR

Post by executioner » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:39 pm

zman7720000 wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:39 pm
One thing that you can't deny this album is band driven. It's a refreshing alternative to the heavier production driven records of the past.
Yet I find parts of the sound missing out like the drums & bass; there is no life in them.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

wildmanpetra
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: WUC
Pethead since: 1985

Post by wildmanpetra » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:19 am

Anyone know if this will be on Apple music or spotify?
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:04 am

zman7720000 wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:39 pm
One thing that you can't deny this album is band driven. It's a refreshing alternative to the heavier production driven records of the past.
What does that mean? It has a less polished mix?
0 x

BriGuyPEI
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1989

Post by BriGuyPEI » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:23 pm

It's noteworthy that with the exception of Mark Kelly, John Schlitt and Bob Hartman, every person who was a member of Petra for more than five years played on this album.
0 x

Rusty
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Not of this world
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Rusty » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:10 am

I am anticipating this cd...I have always been a huge GXV era Petra fan....I want to give these guys a break. We gripe about "not getting anything from Petra" anymore...and then when a classic lineup re-unites, we criticize the choice of songs or sound or production.....I'm just glad some form of Petra (meaning actual Petra with former solid line-up members) is together making music. BTW, my teenagers like BTTR more than MPTY,NSD ,NOTW and BTS because the production quality is more what they are used to ( I prefer the originals but...)....so, right there, Classic Petra has gained 4 "new" fans.
Guys its Petra! Lets just love it!
Peace to all...
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:30 am

Rusty wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:10 am
We gripe about "not getting anything from Petra" anymore...and then when a classic lineup re-unites, we criticize the choice of songs or sound or production...
I would prefer new material over "re-imagined" versions of older songs. One or two cuts is fine, but not a whole album, especially not when they depart so drastically from the originals.
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:42 am

I always wanted to hear updated versions of the classics. We are getting new Petra goodies. Enough with the winning.
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

wildmanpetra
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: WUC
Pethead since: 1985

Post by wildmanpetra » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:09 pm

Just listened to the entire thing- now that it’s on Apple Music and I agree we need to be more appreciative of this project. From reading some of the comments I was expecting something pretty insignificant, but after listening to the entire thing, I loved it!
I usually prefer Schlitt, because that is the era I listened to the most. But, this project brought back many memories and was done very well. I miss Bob, but Henderson really did a great job. Also, Lawry will never disappoint with keys and production. And of course there is Greg who still has an incredible range even after all these years. Louie and Ronnie complete the whole thing, I recommend this project for any Petra fan, it is not disappointing...

Oh, and nothing beats Lawry’s keyboard solo on BTS- 2nd to none!
Last edited by wildmanpetra on Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:39 pm

fcollazo wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:42 am
Enough with the winning.
"We’re going to win so much, you’re going to be so sick and tired of winning."
-President Trump

:lol:

Of course I assume you meant "whining", and to that I'll simply say that someone can express a difference of opinion without whining.
0 x

dihigo
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Back to the Rock
Pethead since: 1988

Post by dihigo » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:51 pm

0 x
What are ya lookin' for the Devil for when ya oughta be lookin' for the Lord?

dihigo
Pethead
Pethead

Post by dihigo » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:05 pm

So as a graphic designer, it pains me to see the new CPR album cover. Petra has a long legacy of painstakingly awesome album covers, and while I do not claim to hold a candle to the time & effort others have taken in producing said covers, I think the proverbial boat was missed with CPR's album cover choice. I believe I know what Greg (or whomever) was going for, but sometimes your mind's eye and the finished product turn out to be two completely different things.

I submit to you my "Alternative Cover" for those, like me, who have the need to look at something other than the official CPR cover while it's playing. In creating this image, I found inspiration from the simplicity of Petra's Unseen Power album cover.

The city of Petra photo was found by doing a quick Google image search, and the heartbeat image was lifted off the CPRband.rocks website (with some slight modifications). While I cannot take credit for the fact that their are two heartbeats after a long, faded flatline, I'd like to think of them as symbols of each album in the "Back to the Rock" series. This image is not copyrighted.

CPR.jpg
Fan Artwork
CPR.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 6162 times
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:33 am

dihigo wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:05 pm
I think the proverbial boat was missed with CPR's album cover choice. I believe I know what Greg (or whomever) was going for, but sometimes your mind's eye and the finished product turn out to be two completely different things.
It's not so much the execution of the plan for the cover, but the plan itself that's wrong here. I'm sure the photograph of the city of Petra is meant to call Petra to mind. They are not allowed to use the name Petra, so this is a too overt reference to what they actually want to be. Not really subtle. And then the cheesy band name abbreviation that can stand for everything and because of that in the end doesn't stand for anything. Come on, a logo for a band called CPR in the shape of a heart? Really?

They should've disassociated the band name, the album title and album cover from Petra. By making all these overt references to them wanting to be Petra, it all cries out 'wannabe'. That's sad, because they are and should be much more.

This is what not having a label / independent advisors (meaning not fans) does to a band. Nobody's told them the whole album cover concept is not a good idea.
1 x

dihigo
Pethead
Pethead

Post by dihigo » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:31 am

p-freak wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:33 am
And then the cheesy band name abbreviation that can stand for everything and because of that in the end doesn't stand for anything. Come on, a logo for a band called CPR in the shape of a heart? Really?
It reminds me of what Van Halen fans must have had to endure back in 2008 with the newly created supergroup Chickenfoot.

FE3736AE-6A65-4D77-9510-F1AF0275C8E9.jpeg
Chickenfoot
FE3736AE-6A65-4D77-9510-F1AF0275C8E9.jpeg (16.9 KiB) Viewed 6134 times
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:53 am

p-freak wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:33 am
dihigo wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:05 pm
I think the proverbial boat was missed with CPR's album cover choice. I believe I know what Greg (or whomever) was going for, but sometimes your mind's eye and the finished product turn out to be two completely different things.
It's not so much the execution of the plan for the cover, but the plan itself that's wrong here. I'm sure the photograph of the city of Petra is meant to call Petra to mind. They are not allowed to use the name Petra, so this is a too overt reference to what they actually want to be. Not really subtle. And then the cheesy band name abbreviation that can stand for everything and because of that in the end doesn't stand for anything. Come on, a logo for a band called CPR in the shape of a heart? Really?

They should've disassociated the band name, the album title and album cover from Petra. By making all these overt references to them wanting to be Petra, it all cries out 'wannabe'. That's sad, because they are and should be much more.

This is what not having a label / independent advisors (meaning not fans) does to a band. Nobody's told them the whole album cover concept is not a good idea.
I agree. I've said it before, but I really wish they had gone the route of Union of Sinners and Saints with a couple of remake tracks and then the rest of the album filled with original music. At least three of the guys in CPR are proven song-writers -- Greg Volz, John Lawry, and Ronny Cates -- so they could have easily gone that direction.
0 x

BriGuyPEI
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1989

Post by BriGuyPEI » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:03 pm

They should have called the band Cephas. The album could have been called Cephas Also Means Rock.
0 x