CPR

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
curt
Pethead
Pethead

Re: CPR

Post by curt » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:03 pm

That picture surely reminds me of my feelings when looking at those lineups as well. :P But they sure had a difficult task. Since Bob was still there it was even harder for them to take over his role and be the guitar player of Petra.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:13 pm

I don't think they viewed it as a hard task, aside from people wishing they weren't there and Bob was.

Petra music is pretty simple stuff to play. That said, when John ran his Bob-less Petra band in the 90s, the band deviated from the original chords/arrangements, for various reasons. Pete came from the secular music scene. He made Bob's parts his own and didn't care to play them Bob's way. It made John mad that the band did not reproduce the identities of the songs and solos as people knew them for years.

Before Pete, you had Lichens who wanted to change the face of Petra completely, making it something he wanted.

So, with guys trying to make Petra THEIR band, like Pete and David, I don't think they had much of Bob on their mind. They worked for John anyway.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:05 pm

I'm guessing Ronny didn't play on this recording, synth all the way.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:41 am

brent wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:13 pm
I don't think they viewed it as a hard task, aside from people wishing they weren't there and Bob was.

Petra music is pretty simple stuff to play. That said, when John ran his Bob-less Petra band in the 90s, the band deviated from the original chords/arrangements, for various reasons. Pete came from the secular music scene. He made Bob's parts his own and didn't care to play them Bob's way. It made John mad that the band did not reproduce the identities of the songs and solos as people knew them for years.

Before Pete, you had Lichens who wanted to change the face of Petra completely, making it something he wanted.

So, with guys trying to make Petra THEIR band, like Pete and David, I don't think they had much of Bob on their mind. They worked for John anyway.
Wasn't a lot of it down to the fact that they couldn't play like Bob because they simply weren't as good?
0 x

curt
Pethead
Pethead

Post by curt » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:58 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:41 am
brent wrote:

Wasn't a lot of it down to the fact that they couldn't play like Bob because they simply weren't as good?
I don't think so. Not saying Bob is not a very talented guitar player. But for someone else to learn to play what he had already written shouldn't be too difficult for a professional guitar player. But perhaps other conditions made it difficult. Bob did have some sounds that were very modern in the period in which he was still playing live. After that grunge, britpop and all the vintage stuff became state of the art. If they had sounded exactly like Bob perhaps it would have sounded rather dated. I sometimes find stuff from the Schlitt era to sound more dated or "locked in its period of time" than much older stuff with Greg X.
0 x

fiendik
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beat The System
Pethead since: 2010

Post by fiendik » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:55 pm

People usually think songs that are 20-30 years old as "really dated", and ones that are 30-50 years old as "Classic".
0 x
"Fiends are a gift from above, fiends are devoted and true..."

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:10 pm

curt wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:58 pm
Mountain Man wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:41 am
brent wrote:

I don't think so. Not saying Bob is not a very talented guitar player. But for someone else to learn to play what he had already written shouldn't be too difficult for a professional guitar player. But perhaps other conditions made it difficult. Bob did have some sounds that were very modern in the period in which he was still playing live. After that grunge, britpop and all the vintage stuff became state of the art. If they had sounded exactly like Bob perhaps it would have sounded rather dated. I sometimes find stuff from the Schlitt era to sound more dated or "locked in its period of time" than much older stuff with Greg X.
I agree that most of the JDB stuff sounds like classic secular rock did at that time. It is more organic. All of the Schlitt era stuff doesn't hold up as well over time stylistically or sonically, because they chased the trends and audiences of the times.
0 x

superfly
Pethead
Pethead

Post by superfly » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:58 pm

my opinion, having seen Pete play live with Petra a couple times, is that his priority was moving around a lot. You can't move as much as Pete did and play with the precision that Bob did. I'm sure Pete has the skills to play like Bob if he focused on it.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:08 pm

Pete wanted to focus on the ladies. Pete would never talk to girls that weren't thin. Louie told me he put some heavy girls in his dressing room as a joke with a lesson.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:37 am

brent wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:08 pm
Pete wanted to focus on the ladies. Pete would never talk to girls that weren't thin. Louie told me he put some heavy girls in his dressing room as a joke with a lesson.
He would talk to girls that were not thin? are you serious?
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:56 am

Word is he and Lichens were only friendly to the hot chicks and the rest would not get the time of day.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:22 pm

Hmm, boys will be boys? Yes I did catch a drum player checking my sister out in 2005. I was a bit taken back by it. Petra is mild compared to the antics of Tim Lambesis and other Christian artists
0 x

curt
Pethead
Pethead

Post by curt » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:27 pm

Lichens was 21 back then. That fact in itself is important. When I think back or talk to anyone being only 21 I often wonder why Petra would go for such a young man.
0 x

dihigo
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Back to the Rock
Pethead since: 1988

Post by dihigo » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:49 pm

I wonder if this French guy's ever heard Greg's version of "Dream On."
0 x
What are ya lookin' for the Devil for when ya oughta be lookin' for the Lord?

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:07 pm

dihigo wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:49 pm
I wonder if this French guy's ever heard Greg's version of "Dream On."
I honestly think the GXV version of "Dream On" is really bad especially compared to the original. The Aerosmith version has so much soul & heart to it to where you can feel Steven Tyler's emotions; the GVX version you feel nothing and it feels very rehearsed and overproduced. This is one of the issues I have with the GVX era of the band; its hard for me to feel & believe what he is singing.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!