CPR

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Re: CPR

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:42 pm

Thief wrote:
Mountain Man wrote:If you're going to church to be entertained then you're going for the wrong reasons.
That's not what I said.
So you disagree with my statement?
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1990

Post by Thief » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:42 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
Thief wrote:
Mountain Man wrote:If you're going to church to be entertained then you're going for the wrong reasons.
That's not what I said.
No, I agree. You don't go to church to be entertained, but you CAN be entertained at church.

Now do you think that you can be entertained at church? or that you can be ministered at a concert?
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:35 pm

Thief wrote:
Mountain Man wrote:
Thief wrote:
That's not what I said.
No, I agree. You don't go to church to be entertained, but you CAN be entertained at church.

Now do you think that you can be entertained at church? or that you can be ministered at a concert?
There are always exceptions, but like I said, if you're going to a Christian concert for in-depth ministry, or to church to be entertained then you're going for the wrong reasons.
0 x

dihigo
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Back to the Rock
Pethead since: 1988

Post by dihigo » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:14 am

Looks like "For Annie" made the list! https://www.facebook.com/gregxvolz/post ... 0908492720
0 x
What are ya lookin' for the Devil for when ya oughta be lookin' for the Lord?

dihigo
Pethead
Pethead

Post by dihigo » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:49 am

dihigo wrote:Looks like "For Annie" made the list! https://www.facebook.com/gregxvolz/post ... 0908492720
I'm curious to see if John Slick has any thoughts. I see that he still regularly logs in from time to time.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:08 pm

I know he hopes the strings are at least on key this time.
0 x

dihigo
Pethead
Pethead

Post by dihigo » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:57 pm

"Not of This World" has also made the cut.
https://www.facebook.com/gregxvolz/post ... 7638990972
0 x

davealward
Pethead
Pethead

Post by davealward » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:31 pm

So according to Kirk, no Schlitt era songs will be on the project. Though I am still looking forward to the CPR project, I think it would have had more appeal if there were a couple of Schlitt songs since we already had BACK TO THE ROCK. I also am hoping they really rock out on some of the songs, making them heavier and meatier than the originals. like Stryper has done in the past.
0 x
Why don't you look into Jesus, He's got the answer!

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:35 am

davealward wrote:So according to Kirk, no Schlitt era songs will be on the project. Though I am still looking forward to the CPR project, I think it would have had more appeal if there were a couple of Schlitt songs since we already had BACK TO THE ROCK. I also am hoping they really rock out on some of the songs, making them heavier and meatier than the originals. like Stryper has done in the past.
A little disappointing, but not surprising. I think Greg Volz might be a bit like John Slick in that he doesn't consider anything after he left the band to be "real" Petra.
0 x

dihigo
Pethead
Pethead

Post by dihigo » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:24 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
davealward wrote:So according to Kirk, no Schlitt era songs will be on the project. Though I am still looking forward to the CPR project, I think it would have had more appeal if there were a couple of Schlitt songs since we already had BACK TO THE ROCK. I also am hoping they really rock out on some of the songs, making them heavier and meatier than the originals. like Stryper has done in the past.
A little disappointing, but not surprising. I think Greg Volz might be a bit like John Slick in that he doesn't consider anything after he left the band to be "real" Petra.
I wouldn't sweat it. It looks as if The Union of Sinners & Saints is back in the studio working on their second album with John covering "Just Reach Out" and perhaps other Petra tunes from his time with the band.
0 x

curt
Pethead
Pethead

Post by curt » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:15 am

In my opinion those guys are legendary for what they did once and if they want to make that historical stuff live again, I find it interesting. I think the CPR is somewhere in between the original and a tribute band. I like the fact that they don't call it Petra though from my point of view there is far more Petra to this than some of the post wake up call lineups. I think it's fair and much more to my taste that Grex does not want to do John's stuff. That would turn it into more of a tribute than the real thing. That's what i dislike about the Union of Saints and Sinners. In my perception it's neither Petra nor Whiteheart. But if you feel different it's ultimately a subjective thing.
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:22 am

curt wrote:In my perception it's neither Petra nor Whiteheart.
That's sort of the whole idea, isn't it? Otherwise they would've called it White Rock, or Petheart. Throwing in the occasional cover doesn't change the fact that it's a new band.
0 x

curt
Pethead
Pethead

Post by curt » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:09 am

That's a fair point. I have mostly seen them doing covers which has left me with no interest to investigate further. I may have to ask myself "heeeeeeyyyyy did you ever think twice?" no matter if they cover that song or not.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:40 pm

curt wrote:That's a fair point. I have mostly seen them doing covers which has left me with no interest to investigate further. I may have to ask myself "heeeeeeyyyyy did you ever think twice?" no matter if they cover that song or not.
They only did 2 covers on the first album and plan the same on the second; They have done some more covers live but John has said that was more due to the amount of time they had to fill for the show; the more new material they get the less you will hear the covers live. My understanding is they have enough new material to fill 2 albums with a couple of covers for each and plan on releasing an album this year and in 2018. John is also pitching around a new solo project but not sure if it will be funded or go the way that the last 2 solo offerings went.
I really liked the first album and really excited about the second to see how they grow and gel together.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:57 pm

curt wrote:That's a fair point. I have mostly seen them doing covers which has left me with no interest to investigate further.
You're missing out, then. Of the 12 songs on their debut album, there are three covers (one Petra, one White Heart, and one a rock rendition of "Christ the Lord is Risen Today"), and the remaining nine are originals. It's actually a really good album, and I'm glad to hear it's not a one-off project.
0 x