Louie BTTS

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
curt
Pethead
Pethead

Re: Louie BTTS

Post by curt » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:51 am

Dan wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:14 am
executioner wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:14 pm
Sorry but I have first hand knowledge of the recording sessions with the band(just talked to someone that was there throughout the recording) and especially with the WUC sessions and McHugh played a very small role in the making of WUC on the percussion side of the sound and was actually in the studio for one day for about 90 minutes at the most and the only reason why is was there was because he and Gordon Kennedy just so happened to show up for moral support and McHugh goof around with Louie a little with the percussion and that was the jest of it. Kennedy ended up playing a small part in the songs "Strong Convictions" & "He's Been In My Shoes". Kennedy ended up being there for a few days but McHugh was only there for the one day for about 90 minutes and really wasn't even there for any type of recording, so its somewhat surprising he is listed as additional contributions. Believe me when I tell you WUC is ALL LOUIE!!
You have many stories about having first hand knowledge, much of it is contradictory to the facts. That isn't Louie playing on WUC.
How do you know? I mean, at least the others who disagre can give us some reason for believing what they say. You just make a claim. I could make a contradictory claim and leave no one any the wiser.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:41 am

curt wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:51 am
Dan wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:14 am
executioner wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:14 pm
Sorry but I have first hand knowledge of the recording sessions with the band(just talked to someone that was there throughout the recording) and especially with the WUC sessions and McHugh played a very small role in the making of WUC on the percussion side of the sound and was actually in the studio for one day for about 90 minutes at the most and the only reason why is was there was because he and Gordon Kennedy just so happened to show up for moral support and McHugh goof around with Louie a little with the percussion and that was the jest of it. Kennedy ended up playing a small part in the songs "Strong Convictions" & "He's Been In My Shoes". Kennedy ended up being there for a few days but McHugh was only there for the one day for about 90 minutes and really wasn't even there for any type of recording, so its somewhat surprising he is listed as additional contributions. Believe me when I tell you WUC is ALL LOUIE!!
You have many stories about having first hand knowledge, much of it is contradictory to the facts. That isn't Louie playing on WUC.
How do you know? I mean, at least the others who disagre can give us some reason for believing what they say. You just make a claim. I could make a contradictory claim and leave no one any the wiser.
True! We all can sit here all day and make claims about this, that & everything, so no one truly knows. My source has an impeccable reputation and knows more than anyone else on this earth(except for Bob) about the inter workings of Petra from a management, studio, tour, & label standpoint.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

zman7720000
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: CITAS
Pethead since: 1989

Post by zman7720000 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:49 pm

executioner wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:41 am
[quote=curt post_id=174410 time=<a href="tel:1515840685">1515840685</a> user_id=3777]
[quote=Dan post_id=174406 time=<a href="tel:1515773679">1515773679</a> user_id=92]
[quote=executioner post_id=174403 time=<a href="tel:1515719689">1515719689</a> user_id=49]
[/quote]

[/quote]

True! We all can sit here all day and make claims about this, that & everything, so no one truly knows. My source has an impeccable reputation and knows more than anyone else on this earth(except for Bob) about the inter workings of Petra from a management, studio, tour, & label standpoint.
[/quote]
So your saying it's Jesus? Cool, I know him too...
0 x
"Ya take a bath each Sunday, if you need it or not
And ya go to work on Monday even when it's hot"

zman7720000
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: CITAS
Pethead since: 1989

Post by zman7720000 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:55 pm

The real question is, is that him on CITAS? Or was that CITS?
0 x
"Ya take a bath each Sunday, if you need it or not
And ya go to work on Monday even when it's hot"

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:25 am

Since I asked, executioner contacted me via private message and gave me some details about his source. I have no reason to doubt him, and his source is solid, having worked closely with the band since the early-80s. When he says that only Bob knows more about the band than his source, he's not exaggerating.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:49 am

blayze5150 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:09 pm
Was "I Will Call Upon The Lord" from Petra Praise an actual live track, or was that studio magic as well? The drums do not sound organic to me, but the crowd noise seems real, especially the singing. If so, did Louie play on that song?
That's an interesting question, but since they recreated that track with a Spanish "audience" on the Spanish version of Petra Praise, it makes me think it's studio trickery. Also, the album credits list that track as being "live" with quotes around it which is what first made me suspicious that it really wasn't live, or at least it wasn't a concert recording.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:53 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:49 am
blayze5150 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:09 pm
Was "I Will Call Upon The Lord" from Petra Praise an actual live track, or was that studio magic as well? The drums do not sound organic to me, but the crowd noise seems real, especially the singing. If so, did Louie play on that song?
That's an interesting question, but since they recreated that track with a Spanish "audience" on the Spanish version of Petra Praise, it makes me think it's studio trickery. Also, the album credits list that track as being "live" with quotes around it which is what first made me suspicious that it really wasn't live, or at least it wasn't a concert recording.

My understanding is neither "I Will" or "We Exalt Thee" are 100% live; I think there are points in each that are live but not the full versions.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:13 pm

The REAL question of importance is, does gravity push us down, or pull us down?
0 x

Rusty
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Not of this world
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Rusty » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:15 am

"first hand knowledge that that is Louie on PPTRCO..." Even though first hand Petra member John Lawry told Brent it was sequenced.
Chris Mchugh was at WUC sessions for "moral support"??? sounds like an "intervention"....Bob H. "Louie, we need you to come down to the studio..."
Louie shows up, the whole band, plus Mark Kelly, John Slick and Greg Volz are there, with Chris Mchugh...
Bob H. says "Louie, we need to talk to you about this real problem you seem to have with....Mickey Mouse....we think you need you need help Louie...we're all here for you...."
sorry...
not
buying
this
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:28 pm

I'll take Brent's word because he has actually worked with Petra members. Everyone else just makes unsubstantiated claims, then never name a source.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:42 am

Rusty wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:15 am
"first hand knowledge that that is Louie on PPTRCO..." Even though first hand Petra member John Lawry told Brent it was sequenced.
Chris Mchugh was at WUC sessions for "moral support"??? sounds like an "intervention"....Bob H. "Louie, we need you to come down to the studio..."
Louie shows up, the whole band, plus Mark Kelly, John Slick and Greg Volz are there, with Chris Mchugh...
Bob H. says "Louie, we need to talk to you about this real problem you seem to have with....Mickey Mouse....we think you need you need help Louie...we're all here for you...."
sorry...
not
buying
this
You seem a bit confused; executioner never claimed it was all Louie on "Petra Praise", only that he played on it. He says it was all Louie on "Wake-Up Call", and McHugh was only in the studio briefly and didn't contribute anything significant to the recording. Indeed, the album notes only thank McHugh and don't give him any musician credit.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:27 am

Woah, I wouldn't take my word for it because I have had the guys work for me. While I have been told some things, my exposure was limited. I know these guys are like us, and remember things differently from time to time. I do believe Louie and I discussed him playing on the record, because I remember him bringing up the fact it was recorded at The Power Station and he thought it was cool being there. I believe Petra was one of the last Christian bands to be there before the change over. The Power Station is an iconic studio in NY. That's all I know about it.
0 x

PetFanSA
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by PetFanSA » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:44 am

Back to the original question:
In a CCM article, Mark was explaining the differences between BTS and BTTS. He said BTS was a producer's record, as neither he or Louie played on it, whereas BTTS was a band record, as ever member played on every track. Here is the link:

http://www.johnwschlitt.com/fans/images ... 986pg3.jpg

Secondly, Chris may have contibuted to WUC more than we think. Near the end of "Sleeping Giant", those rumbling toms sound a LOT like something Chris would do, as he did all over White Heart's Freedom album.

As for other albums, I personally think some drums sound more natural than others on various tracks. On OF, the drums on "Mine Field" sound plastic and programmed, where on "Defector", they sound as real as can be. On TMW, there is obvious programing on "The Water is Alive", but "Dead Reckoning" sounds different. So surely Louie contributed SOMETHING (apart from just cymbals) on the Elefante albums.
0 x