Louie BTTS

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
dihigo
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Back to the Rock
Pethead since: 1988

Re: Louie BTTS

Post by dihigo » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:44 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:33 am
dihigo wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:18 pm
I always find it humorous when fans say that Louie is the greatest drummer alive.
There are fans who say that?
I see nostalgic fans all the time on Facebook who laud Louie's playing ability.
0 x
What are ya lookin' for the Devil for when ya oughta be lookin' for the Lord?

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:36 pm

dihigo wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:44 pm
Mountain Man wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:33 am
dihigo wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:18 pm
I always find it humorous when fans say that Louie is the greatest drummer alive.
There are fans who say that?
I see nostalgic fans all the time on Facebook who laud Louie's playing ability.
To be fair, his abilities are certainly laudable. Listen to the opening beat of "Let Everything That Hath Breath" on the Back to the Rock live album (the second release; not the first release with live vocals mixed with a pre-recorded track). The dude sounds like a machine.

But greatest drummer alive? I'm honestly not sure who I would put into that category. To be honest, some of the best musicians in the world do all of their work almost exclusively behind the scenes in a Nashville recording studio and never get their names on a marquee.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:28 am

It is my belief that visibility, association and impressionism are what drive people to say "x is THE best". We should not mess with people's opinions, because those are tied to very special moments. Louie might be the best, because Petra was integral to a time of influence in their lives. Louie was also the most visible, identifiable drummer from that era of Christian music.

I work for a friend from time to time, who is a Grammy/Multi-Platinum artist, inventor, and well connected guy. We had a discussion one day about "best" players. He said another industry legend told him there were likely lots of "Edward Van Halens" in the world, playing barns, bedrooms, etc. The people we know of as the best, are just those who have been discovered. There are probably lots more like them, invisible to the masses, and they might even be happy just to do what they do, where they do it.

It's hard to qualify best, especially in drumming. Jim Keltner would is known as one of the best in the world. He has played on more historic albums in history than anyone else. He has a feel and provides a vibe that is so unique, that he will have work till he dies. Is he the fastest drummer on the planet? Does he do lots of fancy fills? Does he solo? No to all. A Prog rock or metal fan would not hear the nuance, or feel the groove Keltner lays down. They would want to have Mike Mangini or Mike Portnoy play 16/11 or something like a clock. So, to each his own.

Louie LOVED the late Jeff Porcaro. He said Jeff was his favorite drummer. Jeff was also like Keltner. Jeff and Toto were on GOBS of studio albums, including Christian artists. Check out the album Stand By The Power by The Imperials. That is all Toto behind them. When Louie was recording for me, he was warming up, playing Jeff's signature patterns. It was great. When Louie accidentally put an accent in the wrong place, I stopped him and asked him to play that again. He asked me, "You love that don't ya?" I said, "Yeah!" I hit record and had him play it again. That pattern made it on a song. We changed the song to fit it, because the groove was killer. So, for me, Louie improved upon a Porcaro groove, which was already fantastic.
0 x

Rusty
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Not of this world
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Rusty » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:29 am

Rusty wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:04 am
I don't mean to come off rude...I HAVE read all the archived stuff...all of it...on the post / thread titled "I know we've been over this before but..." 4/30/04 (check it yourself) Brent said that Louie and John Lawry told him the only record with NO real drums at all was PPTRCO, that John L. did it all himself with sequencers. The other E. Bros. recordings were sequenced with Louie doing some over-dubs only (most likely cymbals )....however, other posts indicate they may have been using a primitive "80's version" of what is now called "Hit replacement technology"...with Louie's playing being sequenced over.
It's all very confusing....I tend to take Brent's word, since he says explicitly that he got it straight from Louie and John Lawry....
My original question was curiosity that they may not have fully started the whole "Lets sequence the drums " thing on BTTS yet. Compare the drum "sound" on BTTS with TMW and the difference is very obvious.
peace brothers and sisters...peace...
Brown Bannister go-to guy Chris Mchugh is playing drums on WUC. Compare the sound/technique with "Tales of Wonder" by Whiteheart....
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:00 pm

Really? So it's not Louie on Wake Up Call? Or is it a mix of Louie and McHugh?
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:38 pm

Rusty wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:29 am
Rusty wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:04 am
I don't mean to come off rude...I HAVE read all the archived stuff...all of it...on the post / thread titled "I know we've been over this before but..." 4/30/04 (check it yourself) Brent said that Louie and John Lawry told him the only record with NO real drums at all was PPTRCO, that John L. did it all himself with sequencers. The other E. Bros. recordings were sequenced with Louie doing some over-dubs only (most likely cymbals )....however, other posts indicate they may have been using a primitive "80's version" of what is now called "Hit replacement technology"...with Louie's playing being sequenced over.
It's all very confusing....I tend to take Brent's word, since he says explicitly that he got it straight from Louie and John Lawry....
My original question was curiosity that they may not have fully started the whole "Lets sequence the drums " thing on BTTS yet. Compare the drum "sound" on BTTS with TMW and the difference is very obvious.
peace brothers and sisters...peace...
Brown Bannister go-to guy Chris Mchugh is playing drums on WUC. Compare the sound/technique with "Tales of Wonder" by Whiteheart....
First off there is nothing in the credits of Wake Up Call showing McHugh played on the album; Wake Up Call is thru & thru Louie and no one else; second I have first hand knowledge of some of the things you continue to talk about and claim about Louie in the studio and in most(not all) cases you are not right. Not trying to cause any trouble just setting the record straight.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Rusty
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Rusty » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:35 am

Hi,
If you look at the liner notes on WUC, Chris's name is first under "additional contributions".....
I know Louie's style, and I know Chris's style. I know how Louie's drums sound, and I know how Chris's drums sound. Chris has made a big name for himself as a studio player by having a consistent style and sound. Its called "brand recognition" in marketing. As a drummer, I recognized Chris immediately when I recently listened to WUC for the first time in 20 plus years (its not one of my favorites).
Any drummer who knows both players can pick it out pretty quick...just sayin'.....
peace
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:28 pm

Album credits mean jack crap. Just because someone isn't listed, doesn't mean they didn't play. Just because someone was listed, doesn't mean they played. There are too many well known examples of both.

Comparing The sounds of WUC to the Whiteheart tune is tough, since the Whiteheart album has samples out the ying yang. There is little acoustic about those drums. There aren't really any dynamics. It's quantized. The REAL way for me to tell is the swing. Louie has a bunch of it.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:14 pm

Rusty wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:35 am
Hi,
If you look at the liner notes on WUC, Chris's name is first under "additional contributions".....
I know Louie's style, and I know Chris's style. I know how Louie's drums sound, and I know how Chris's drums sound. Chris has made a big name for himself as a studio player by having a consistent style and sound. Its called "brand recognition" in marketing. As a drummer, I recognized Chris immediately when I recently listened to WUC for the first time in 20 plus years (its not one of my favorites).
Any drummer who knows both players can pick it out pretty quick...just sayin'.....
peace
Sorry but I have first hand knowledge of the recording sessions with the band(just talked to someone that was there throughout the recording) and especially with the WUC sessions and McHugh played a very small role in the making of WUC on the percussion side of the sound and was actually in the studio for one day for about 90 minutes at the most and the only reason why is was there was because he and Gordon Kennedy just so happened to show up for moral support and McHugh goof around with Louie a little with the percussion and that was the jest of it. Kennedy ended up playing a small part in the songs "Strong Convictions" & "He's Been In My Shoes". Kennedy ended up being there for a few days but McHugh was only there for the one day for about 90 minutes and really wasn't even there for any type of recording, so its somewhat surprising he is listed as additional contributions. Believe me when I tell you WUC is ALL LOUIE!!
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:38 am

executioner wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:14 pm
I have first hand knowledge of the recording sessions with the band (just talked to someone that was there throughout the recording)...
Technically, that's secondhand knowledge. First-hand knowledge would mean you were in the recording studio yourself.

That said, "Wake Up Call" and White Heart's "Freedom" do have a very similar overall sound, but I would assume that's because of a common producer rather than common musicians (like how so many of the Elefante Bros' albums in the 90s have a similar sound). Compare the song "Strong Convictions" to "Set The Bridge On Fire". The drum sound is almost identical in terms of acoustics. I can't really judge technique or playing style.

I'm curious, who is the studio insider you talked to?
0 x

Rusty
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Rusty » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:23 am

Okay guys,
I am willing to "eat it" a little, in the name of peace....could it be that Bannister was looking for a different type of sound/playing from Louie? I am willing to concede if proven wrong. However, I do think WUC's drumming does sound like Chris Mchugh's playing, especially on WhiteHearts Tales of Wonder album. I have always consider Louie's playing style to be what is called "behind the beat", that's what I hear on MPTY and ( I think???) on BTTS....yes, he does have great technique and "swing"...He is a right handed person who leads with his left in drumming..., the style on WUC seems very different...maybe it was a reflection of the changing sound of rock music at the time (from arena type rock to what became alternative style rock) I don't know ...Either way, I think Louie's a great drummer, I loved him on BTTR and look forward to the cd of CPR....
Thanks for setting me straight...peace.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!

Post by Dan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:14 am

executioner wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:14 pm
Sorry but I have first hand knowledge of the recording sessions with the band(just talked to someone that was there throughout the recording) and especially with the WUC sessions and McHugh played a very small role in the making of WUC on the percussion side of the sound and was actually in the studio for one day for about 90 minutes at the most and the only reason why is was there was because he and Gordon Kennedy just so happened to show up for moral support and McHugh goof around with Louie a little with the percussion and that was the jest of it. Kennedy ended up playing a small part in the songs "Strong Convictions" & "He's Been In My Shoes". Kennedy ended up being there for a few days but McHugh was only there for the one day for about 90 minutes and really wasn't even there for any type of recording, so its somewhat surprising he is listed as additional contributions. Believe me when I tell you WUC is ALL LOUIE!!
You have many stories about having first hand knowledge, much of it is contradictory to the facts. That isn't Louie playing on WUC.
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:03 am

FWIW, I went and sought out a live clip of Praying Man. Louie was fantastic. He played much more than what's on the album, but he played a lot of the same stuff. I'm confident in saying, at least for that song, Louie played on the album. Both versions have the same Louie swagger to them.
0 x

blayze5150
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1985

Post by blayze5150 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:09 pm

Was "I Will Call Upon The Lord" from Petra Praise an actual live track, or was that studio magic as well? The drums do not sound organic to me, but the crowd noise seems real, especially the singing. If so, did Louie play on that song?
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:48 pm

gman wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:03 am
FWIW, I went and sought out a live clip of Praying Man. Louie was fantastic. He played much more than what's on the album, but he played a lot of the same stuff. I'm confident in saying, at least for that song, Louie played on the album. Both versions have the same Louie swagger to them.
Ditto! WUC has Louie all over it. The same aspect though is no one can truly know how Louie can or would sound in studio because of the limited sample size.
0 x