Are there any Petra fans out there that like Wings?

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
MichaeLeah
Pethead
Pethead

Are there any Petra fans out there that like Wings?

Post by MichaeLeah » Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:37 am

I am a Petra fan who also enjoys Paul McCartney & Wings. Are there any others out there like me?

Michael
0 x

spottacus
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by spottacus » Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:39 am

I'm not that old!
0 x
www.myspace.com/fisticmystic

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Hehe.

Post by Shell » Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:00 pm

Okay, rub it in that you're not an old fogey Spott. I like a lot of their stuff, especially the early stuff. I preferred Paul when he was in the Beatles though. :D
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

The

Post by executioner » Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:49 pm

The Beatles were so overated. I know I am stepping on some toes here, but their music was very basic. I have never seen what people see in them. :lol:
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Hahahahahaha

Post by Shell » Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:00 pm

Let's throw stones at him. :D

No, believe it or not, I do understand what you mean. Their songs were pretty simple love songs. But they were catchy, and they were popular with the gals, LOL. :D They sold a lot of albums for over rated stuff. :wink:
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

yes

Post by executioner » Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:08 pm

I guess you could say they were the 60's boy band. I really didn't like the vocals and the guitar riffs (if you could call them that) were alot like the popular guitar riffs found today very shallow with no meat.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by Shell » Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:17 pm

They had some good PR people pushing them, and that along with
John Lennon's smart mouth probably at least contributed to their popularity (and got them into trouble later.) They had kind of a clean-cut image when they first came to the states, but some of those places they started out at in Europe before they came to the states were pretty nasty.

I do sort of wonder if they had started out now rather than in the 60s if they'd be as popular. That being said, I don't think anyone would disagree about Ringo being an exellent drummer or Paul being an excellent bass player.
Last edited by Shell on Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

eknock
Pethead
Pethead

The wings...

Post by eknock » Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:28 pm

I am a diehard Wings fan... The red variety that is :D Go Wings, go for the stanley!
0 x

spottacus
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by spottacus » Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:53 pm

The Beatles were innovative and were probably the best band in the so-called British Invasion. Remember, a lot of the stuff they did that's so typical of modern rock and roll, they pioneered.

Yeah, if you think of the Beatles in competition with modern bands, they suffer because they're an early link in Rock's evolutionary chain. But if you consider them in context, they were incredibly foresighted and a huge amount of what rock bands are doing today, they owe directly to the Beatles.
0 x
www.myspace.com/fisticmystic

Michael
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Wings

Post by Michael » Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:41 pm

Mmm, I like mine barbecued. Listening to Paul McCartney at a barbecue... now THAT would be cool!
0 x
[url]http://www.GuideToPetra.com[/url] - [url]http://www.ScriptureMenu.com[/url]

[url=http://www.last.fm/user/TulsaMJ/?chartstyle=BasicPetraZone2][img]http://imagegen.last.fm/BasicPetraZone2/recenttracks/TulsaMJ.gif[/img][/url]

Slider
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Slider » Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:02 am

The Beatles were somewhat innovative in their style. Even though I really dont like 98% of their stuff, I have to give them credit for starting a real boom in the music industry.
I do have to confess to buying George Harrisons LP that I believe was titled 33-1/3.
:wink:
0 x
'the waters never part until our feet get wet'

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by Shell » Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:56 am

I like "Got My Mind Set On You" by George Harrison, that song rocks. I don't remember what album it's on though. :)
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:50 am

You younger people can't really appreciate the Beatles. But had it not been for them, modern recording would not have evoloved into what it is now. Atleast not as quickly as it did. Also, musically, no body was doing what they did. So, today it seems basic to some, but then it was revolutionary. Whatever your musical preference, most pop/rock performers base what they like/know/learned about songwriting and chord progressions from the Beatles.

What is important to point out, is that the younger generation does not have MUSICAL heros like my generation has. We had people that invented playing techniques, styles, instruments, etc. The current generation samples, scratches up records, screams, plays 1 chord, etc., and that is their legacy. It has all been done. Now it is regergetation time.

As far as Wings goes...Christian artist/drummer Joe English came Wings. He then started a band, after a few other projects, called the Joe English Band. He got a stud keyboard player named....Uh, what was his name?...Uh.., ok John Lawry. You might have heard of him. They did their thing up untill 1984 or so. Then John came to Petra after John SLick left.

Wings had some good songs. Wings pioneered some concert sound techniques that we all enjoy today.
0 x

MichaeLeah
Pethead
Pethead

Post by MichaeLeah » Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:45 am

I never made the connection between Joe English and well...Joe English, that's very interesting. I agree with Brent, if anyone thinks the Beatles are overrated, they just don't understand what the Beatles did to the music industry. The took rock and roll and transformed it into an art. If you think the Beatles just wrote simple music than listen to Sgt. Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, and Abbey Road. All of these albums were incredibly advanced for their time. The Beatles (along the the Beach Boys) created the concept album. An idea that even Petra borrowed from.

Back to Joe English...we was in Wings during their peak. He even wrote and sang one of their songs: "Must Do Something About It"

Michael

Note: "Got My Mind Set On You" is from Cloud Nine

P.S. How old do you think I am?
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by Shell » Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:43 am

My guess would be late 20s-early 30s, but it's very possible I'm wrong about that. :D Thanks for reminding me what album "Got My Mind Set On You" is on. I have it, I just haven't listened to it for awhile. I do believe that's Ringo playing drums. :D

I'm surprised no one brought up St. Pepper's before now. :D
0 x