Pethead since: 1985

Re: 40 Things You Don't Know About Superman

Post by Shell » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:58 am

I was wondering when Enosh would jump in and say some about Supes... :mrgreen:
0 x

Enosh
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Who Are these new guys? AndBand! The Original! Ask for it by name.

Post by Enosh » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:51 am

Ok, I actually wanted to be in front of a computer on this one and not typing away on my phone. ;)

Well, those versions are a big part of why some people just plain don't like Superman. But it's not so much that we claim he's not a challenged character. We just have a hard time identifying with his challenges.

I mean, I know it's gotta be tough having your home planet destroyed when you're just a baby, but frankly its a little hard to relate to.

And then, as you grow older and become the single most powerful organic being on your adopted planet, you would certainly feel a great sense of responsibility. Dealing with that responsibility and deciding what to do with your incredible powers would be a real challenge. Again, it's a little hard to relate.
While those versions are a big part of the public image of Superman, I don't think people look deep enough into the guy to see the real struggles. These are superheroes first of all. They have powers ect. Now I know Batman has no powers. I am a Big Batman fan too, but I cannot relate with someone who was born into being a multi-billionaire. He has everything he wants because he has money. All of his "training" (which some of the skills he "mastered" in such a short time would take a lifetime) came about because of his money. All of his gadgets, which he always seems to have just the right thing, uh, "Bat Shark Repelant" anyone? came about because of his money. He adopted his persona because he wanted revenge. He admits this many times in the comics. He goes into great detail with Jason Todd about this when he started training him as the second Robin, that he cannot seek revenge for his parents. (By that time in the comics Batman was starting to come to grips with his issues) Then they killed Jason and that made Batman a very troubled individule.

Peter Parker is driven by his uncles words that with great power come great responsibility. He is also driven by guilt over his uncles death. I can "relate a little more with this, because Peter didn't set out to be a hero. He was a young kid who had it thrust upon him. He was learning "on the job" That's fine with me

With Clark, his challenges are much more than being an all powerful being that just decided to do good. I disagree that someone with such powers would just have a sense or responsibility to do good. Kal-El lost his parents. He did not know them sure at the time of their death, but years later when he learned of his birth planet a great deal of expectation was placed upon him. He is the last survivor of an extinct race. all of the knowledge of his people could die with him. How many of us have been placed in a position by our families to carry on with something because they expect it out of us? You have to remember, Clark was raised in the Mid-west on a farm. He learned his ethics from good people. He learned what hard work was. He was a normal kid and then Wham! The weight of his world was dropped on him. He didn't have a real choice. He went through a major change in his life. Sure we don't have powers but can you relate with having to figure out where you fit in the world when everything you thought about yourself was wrong? You relationships are strained because you question "Why" people love you all of a sudden. You feel like people want a part of you. Do they love me for me, or because of something else? He is not just a big Blue Boyscout. He was raised by good people with good values. Have you ever read the Elseworlds story of what would have happened if Kal would have crashed in Communist Russia instead of Kansas. I think it's sad that people don't relate with a good upbringing like he had. Some of things in His story are about what we wish we could be and about what we want to accomplish.
And everyone has enemies, so we can kind of understand that struggle. Of course, my enemies aren't hyper-powerful aliens who want to conquer the galaxy. Sorry.
Actually, Most of Superman's enemies aren't like that at all. His #1 enemy is Lex Luthor, a human. That is rival and they clash in an ongoing battle of the minds. Batman faces guys who are Eternal Living beings(Ras Al Ghul), Killer Croc, and Man-bat. Again, these are comics so every bad guy is not going to be a winner in the "Relate" department.

So, where is this depth explored? I mean, I always figured the comics were "cannon". If the depth isn't in the comic books, how are you sure it's there? I would agree that there is potential depth, but until those responsible for the cannon (i.e. comic book writers) start writing for it, it isn't realized.
Actually it's right there in the comics of the late 80's early 90's. I feel that this was the best time for the those who write Superman. They really got it, and I loved it. In this time, Clark struggled with the fact that he loved Lois but tried to protect her from her the dangers of being with him. Clark struggled with having the dual personality, who his really is as a person,and to figure out just who was the "Real" guy? Clark or Superman? You see this is another thing I think makes Superman even more "Human" than others. He was raised as a human. When he discovered his powers he wanted to help the world see what they could become as humans. He deals with how to approach his life on a daily basis. there is this very human side of him as Clark, and then there is the public side as Superman. He wants to inspire others, not through his powers, but by his actions. He is an optimist. Can you fault a guy for trying to see the good in people? I see it as an example. One of the reasons I related to Superman was that I did not have a dad growing up. I gravitated to this character because I saw an example of how to be, even if it wasn't always easy. If you read those comics during that time, Clark doesn't always find it easy, but he tries anyway. Many questions were answered for Clark during that time. Lois gave up the dream of Superman and started dating Clark. She got to know him, the Real him. Then he revealed the truth to her. The other things I see is just like the comment made in Superman II by General Zod, He cares. He cares about the human race and wants to preserve it as much or even more than his Kryptonian heritage because he believes in people and what they can be, not just what resort to.

ANother thing is the writers don't always get it. Look at the 60's Batman TV show, or even recently, the Joel Shumacher versions of the Batman movies. Did you really think that Batman was going to recover from the likes of "Batman and Robin?" I didn't, but then along comes Chris Nolan and his brother and Wham! Pow! Splat! Our eyes are opened up to what this guy is really about and we have two of the best comics adaptations ever. I believe we can see that with Superman too.

I agree that with Superman, "Clark" is who he really is, and "Superman" is the disguise. But I wouldn't say he's the only character like that. Certainly with Peter Parker/Spider Man, Pete is the reality and Spidey the disguise. Within the DC universe, I would say that Green Lantern Kyle Rainer is "really" Kyle, and not entirely comfortable being a GL. Of course, exactly the opposite was true with GL Hal Jordan.

And while I agree that this requires a different approach for writing, I would have to say that characters in which the hero has obscured the identity are just as interesting to explore. Batman is certainly one of those characters.

I remember an incident wherein the Joker heard one of the other inmates of Arkham say of Batman, "Just once, I'd like to see his real face." To which the Joker replied, "That is his real face".
I agree with you here. He's not the only one. I think all of these characters are unique and interesting in their own way. It just makes me sad as a Superman fan when I hear some dismiss him because they think they know what he's all about. It's a lot like (to me) when people dismiss Christianity in a comparative religions class because they think everyone "knows" about Christianity. Most of what people know about Christianity is not what it's really about. They miss the relationship and focus on the religion. I think people do this with superman too.

I hope it's better than "Superman Returns". I felt like that movie just botched Superman's character entirely.
Amen to that!! It wasn't completely horrible, but id did not capture Superman at all! Superman doesn't go out and have kids and not come back for five years. There were so many problems with that movie. Again, this is where people try to put their own "spin" on a character instead of using what makes that character great and expanding on that. Have you seen the pictures of Nick Cage as Superman for the short lived movie try from Tim Burton. Scary. I am very much looking forward to the future in hopes that someone gets it right.

So, Enosh, surely you can add more to this list of things we don't know about Superman?
1. Read the book, "The Gospel according to the greatest Superhero Ever"

2. Superman was created as a Christ Figure. Interesting read.

3. the Family name "El" is taken from biblical account of God's name Elohim. Literally meaning Superman is of the House of God. Jor-El loosely translated means "Father-God"

4. A father sends his only son to earth from beyond the stars to be raised as a normal man by parents of low estate. He grows into man until the Father's plan is revealed and he begins his "Ministry" to the world performing signs and wonders, even miracles. He seeks and lives to be an inspiration to mankind. Finally he is killed, giving his life, sacrificing himself so that the world might be saved from a horrible Doomsday. He then rises from the dead victorious over evil....... Sound familiar?
0 x
Facebook.com/enoshfee
redcapeproductions.com
www.wakingvegas.com
Facebook.com/wakingvegas

AndBand! The Original!
Ask for it by name.
http://picasaweb.google.com/johnwschlitt/July42003PekinILJohnSoloAndAndband#5081842292151695650

knotodiswrld
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War
Pethead since: 1984

Post by knotodiswrld » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:27 pm

Well, Enosh. You've made a very impassioned and well-stated case for seeing Superman as a worthwhile character. What's more, you have done so without resorting to name calling or insulting those who might disagree with you, and that has gotten kind of rare around here lately.

I agree that he's a good character. He's just not my favorite character. I will always like Batman better because that's just because of my personality. But I agree that, in the hands of the proper writers, Superman can be an excellent character.

I had high hopes for Smallville when it first started up, but very quickly I saw that it was becoming, in the words of one reviewer, "Dawson's Creek meets Buffy The Vampire Slayer".

Also, I would have to say that the comics of the 80's and 90's were definitely better for both Batman and Superman. I was just much more focused on Batman. Mostly, I saw Superman when their story lines crossed, like in "Dark Knight over Metropolis" and "Death In The Family".

I didn't want to turn this into a "Batman vs. Superman" kind of thread, and I think you've presented your case without doing that. I think we can agree that both characters have excellent merits, and each one will always have his fans.
0 x
The Master of The Earth became a servant of no worth
And paid a kings ransom for my soul

Enosh
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Who Are these new guys? AndBand! The Original! Ask for it by name.

Post by Enosh » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:17 pm

Oh yeah I never wanted to debate the two. I love batman too. Not saying that you were saying this but some people are just so passionate about other characters that they find it easy to put superman down. I don't want to argue I just like for people to see that superman has more layers than they may realize. :-)

Smallville dissapointed for many years I agree. I have been so frustrated with some of the junk on that show. Every once in a while getting a nugget of something good. But last year was amazing and with this season being the final season things look good. There is a preview from comiccon on you tube for season ten. It covers each season and then covers 10. Wow is all I can say of they pull it off. One word. Darkseid!

Good to see other comic people on the zone.
0 x
Facebook.com/enoshfee
redcapeproductions.com
www.wakingvegas.com
Facebook.com/wakingvegas

AndBand! The Original!
Ask for it by name.
http://picasaweb.google.com/johnwschlitt/July42003PekinILJohnSoloAndAndband#5081842292151695650

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:31 pm

Enosh wrote:Their is so much depth to this man that is never explored in comics movies and television. And cartoons don't do him justice at all.
What else is there to judge Superman by? There is no other media, unless you want to throw in radio.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

knotodiswrld
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War
Pethead since: 1984

Post by knotodiswrld » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:58 pm

SU wrote:What else is there to judge Superman by? There is no other media, unless you want to throw in radio.
In response to the question I asked, Enosh said that he was referring to the comics of today not having the dept of the comics of the 80's or 90's. As far as that goes, I'd have to agree with him.
0 x
The Master of The Earth became a servant of no worth
And paid a kings ransom for my soul