A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
neonpachyderm
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1983

Re: Carman

Post by neonpachyderm » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:37 pm

Had a long reply typed out and lost it when the wi-fi reset.

Last poster said that "The Standard" was Carman's last good album. I'd have to agree...starting with RIOT (although the Steve Yake-produced movie has some good moments), it seems to me that Carman was trying too hard to be cool. (I think that's about the time he relocated to Nashvegas anyway.) I always enjoyed Carman's "story" songs, such as "The Champion" and "Lazarus Come Forth."

Kudos to the guy that referenced Love98. I was born in '78. We moved to Tulsa in '80 and then on to Pryor in '81. I remember Love98 from when I was quite small. I also remember when KXOJ had a rock show overnights (and Petra even during the day!)
0 x

LivingRock
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1993

Post by LivingRock » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:44 pm

I grew up listening to whatever my parents did, which meant I had a variety of Petra, Keith Green, Michael Card, Ray Boltz, Gordon Jensen, Don Francisco, Vineyard, and Carman. (Along with a few other obscure artists.) I'd say Carman was one of our most frequently listened to artists, next to Petra and Don Francisco. I loved ALL of Carman's stuff, although we never bought any of his albums after The Riot. (Due to other circumstances). I too loved his story songs. I still remember acting out, "Lazarus, Come Forth!" and The Champion. And, of course, Sunday's On the Way! I still listen to The Standard in my car as Great God was another of my childhood favorites when it came out. I never really kept up with him over the years though.
0 x
"Pethead" is not a title. It's a way of life.

http://pathofthecarpenter.blogspot.ca/

jensskov
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1987

Post by jensskov » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:44 pm

I LOVED the old Carman stuff. Now I only listen to it when my wife is not at home :-)

Anyway. I don't like all his lyrics, but I find him to be a great artist. The are both good and funny songs and some that are both :-)
But he lost me with the last decade of spagetty voice.
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:01 pm

Carman also spent some time out here in California with a small Southern Gospel Group called "Reba & Country Sonlite", he played guitar. Some very close friends of mine "Sunshine Sisters" (used to sing with Arthur Blessitt), they know Carman very well, last time Carman came to Bakersfield, i enjoyed it but yeah, the band sounded pretty close the studio tracks, a little to close. In the 80s and early 90s though He really didn't tour alot with a band, I think He started using a live band when He got into the stadiums and bigger arenas.

He came to the Kern County Fair like 3 or 4 years in a row, I mean I was shocked the following year when I looked in the newspaper and the Christian act was Steven Curtis Chapman during the Heaven in the Real World Tour. So yeah Carman was very popular during those days. I never really was a fan of his first two albums "Some-O Dat" and "Sunday's On The Way" (the original version), Spirit Filled Pizza was a little too much for my taste even back then...lol

I guess Carman has always been one of those artists that you really can't stop from watching it when everyone else is playing it but you're not really a fan. Kind of weird that He used to be an Elvis impersonator before he got signed to Sony back in the 80s.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:05 pm

How many remember "The Soap Song"

0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

mkepethead
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1985

Post by mkepethead » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:18 pm

The Champion is the only thing of his I ever listened to liked some of the songs on that disc.
0 x
Petra Means Rock!

Pethead94
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: I can't decide!
Pethead since: 1994

Post by Pethead94 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:06 pm

I got to meet Carman last year at a little concert he did in Salisbury, NC.
I had heard alot of his music, and watched his videos, so I was really excited.
But this tour he did, it was kind of disappointing... He mainly talked.
I did like his stories that he told about his growing up though...
But after hearing my dad talk about all the cool things that Carman used to do, it was a little bland. And afterwards when I got to meet him, he hardly said anything at all. (I know, he's old and was tired).
It was still a good show though.
0 x
"Just reach out, and He'll reach in..." - John Schlitt
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... a12ea7398a
^The link to my Classic Petra Myrtle Beach photos... Check them out!

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:50 pm

Hey, he's not THAT old youngster. :P :mrgreen: He probably was tired, which is understandable. I saw him several times in the early 90s at a couple of festivals and at a smaller concert in L.A. a few years ago. He's not my all time favorite, but I really like the Champion and his videos--Witches Invitation and Our Turn Now and a few others.
0 x

Pethead94
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: I can't decide!
Pethead since: 1994

Post by Pethead94 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:50 pm

Shell wrote:Hey, he's not THAT old youngster. :P :mrgreen: He probably was tired, which is understandable. I saw him several times in the early 90s at a couple of festivals and at a smaller concert in L.A. a few years ago. He's not my all time favorite, but I really like the Champion and his videos--Witches Invitation and Our Turn Now and a few others.
Sorry... I meant older, not old. He was very much tired.
0 x
"Just reach out, and He'll reach in..." - John Schlitt
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... a12ea7398a
^The link to my Classic Petra Myrtle Beach photos... Check them out!

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:00 pm

Too me he always seem to be over the top and just down right cheesy.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

CatNamedManny
Pethead Wikipedia Warrior
Pethead Wikipedia Warrior
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1996

Post by CatNamedManny » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:59 pm

Meh. Used to like him, but his act gets pretty old pretty quickly. Way too cheesy and over the top, as exe says. Looking at his work, it's not hard to see why Christian rock got a bad rap among secular artists and fans as subpar in quality and content.
0 x
- Paul

A little disoriented. Getting reoriented.