A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Hehehehehe

Post by Shell » Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:14 pm

Oh, it was about time something got started here. I was beginning to miss it. Now it's like old times. :lol:

If RockMe hadn't started something someone else would have. :D MJ and RockMe both make valid points. :)
0 x

Michael
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Whew.

Post by Michael » Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:20 pm

<SIGH>

OK, for the sake of trying to explain what I said, and what apparently you thought I said... here goes:

I didn't say this in so many words before, but I don't think Jesus EVER quoted the Old Testament out of context. I don't think Jesus would have said something like "The truth will set you free" to make someone tell the truth, for example (I realize that's New Testament), when the context of that verse clearly indicates that "The Truth" is the Word of God. So when Jesus quoted two different Bible passages, He did it fully knowing the context. So when He said "My house will be called a house of prayer for all nations," He fully knew that he was quoting a passage of Scripture which is about how God welcomed Gentiles to worship in the Temple (heck, He even said "for all nations!"):
Isaiah 56:6-7 wrote:And foreigners who bind themselves to the LORD to serve him, to love the name of the LORD, and to worship him, all who keep the Sabbath without desecrating it and who hold fast to my covenant- these I will bring to my holy mountain and give them joy in my house of prayer. Their burnt offerings and sacrifices will be accepted on my altar; for my house will be called a house of prayer for all nations.
See what I mean? Jesus WAS talking about Gentiles. It's right there in black and white. I'm sorry to hear that you would think Jesus would base his actions on culture and not on Scripture, but I tend to think the opposite... Jesus based his actions on Scripture despite the customs of the day if they conflicted.
RockMe wrote:You seem to believe that if I would simply listen to you I would see that you are clearly right, but that is a rather arrogant assumption.
But wouldn't it be a fun experiment to try listening to me? After all, this might be the one time I am right! :)

Whew... I hate to be misunderstood, and RockMe, up to now I don't think you have really understood me. But there is no way I can add more detail to the topic now, so this will be my last post on this thread unless someone specifically asks me a question. It does seem to me that you are not basing your conclusion "...on Jesus' ministry and the culture of the time," but on your preconceived notions of what Jesus was saying. And that's okay, because this is not a Salvation issue. But you will find that very often there are things in the Bible that have a bigger meaning than what is on the surface, and that's what I'm talking about here.
0 x
[url]http://www.GuideToPetra.com[/url] - [url]http://www.ScriptureMenu.com[/url]

[url=http://www.last.fm/user/TulsaMJ/?chartstyle=BasicPetraZone2][img]http://imagegen.last.fm/BasicPetraZone2/recenttracks/TulsaMJ.gif[/img][/url]

RockMe
Pethead
Pethead

Humility

Post by RockMe » Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:36 pm

Dude, the Bible is God's word, not yours. Your interpretation of it is not more or less correct than mine is. Let me know when you can admit that, and I'll respect your views much more.
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:48 am

I'm with ya on this one. I take much of the gospels to be a historical account. Except where clearly noted, such as with a parable, they are literal. The money changers were selling things necessary for worship in the temple for a profit. It was faith in the animal sacrifice being enough that made the jews righteous, just like is faith in Christ's sacrifice that makes us righteous. I think it would be wrong for someone to walk up to people and say something like, "I know how to get to heaven, I'll tell you for 20 bucks." A concert or christian event is ok as is, but would be wrong if at the end the band or speaker said something like, "I'll present the gospel now to those who come forward, put 20 bucks in that bucket, and go to the room on the right." Some people are so needy of some answers that they would do it.
0 x

micah
Site Admin

Post by micah » Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:46 pm

Personally, I think one of the better comparisons of this event to today is found in the copyright statements of most modern Bible translations!

Did you know that you're committing a copyright infringement by duplicating a significant portion of the Bible without permission? Zondervan is by far the worst -- they charge quite a bit for a license to use the NIV (excepting a few quotes with strict limits), and if you're doing something that competes with them, they won't even consider granting you a license.

What the moneychangers in Jesus' time did to God's house, Zondervan et. al. is doing to His Word!

I actually wrote an article on the topic -- see the Reading Room at http://jesusislife.net/articles/
0 x