CBS does the right thing - cancels Reagan miniseries.

A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics

Ronald Reagan was:

Our greatest president ever
25%
One of the top five presidents ever
38%
One of the top ten presidents ever
38%

Total votes: 8

spottacus
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

CBS does the right thing - cancels Reagan miniseries.

Post by spottacus » Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:57 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/entertainment/3244713.stm

Streisand Slates Reagans TV Axe

Barbra Streisand has criticised a TV network's decision not to show a drama about former US president Ronald Reagan that starred her husband James Brolin.
The singer described the CBS network's decision not to screen The Reagans as a "sad day for artistic freedom".

CBS admitted the programme, starring Brolin as the former president, did not present a "balanced portrayal" after concerns from Mr Reagan's supporters.

Streisand said the network "caved in to right wing Republican pressure".

A Democrat Party activist, she added: "This was an organised Republican spin machine at work. This is censorship, pure and simple."

The two-part drama will now be shown on cable channel Showtime, which is owned by CBS' parent company Viacom.

But Mr Reagan's daughter, Patti Davis, accused the show's producers of "astounding carelessness and cruelty" and said CBS did the "right thing" in pulling it from schedules.

The script was "quite simply, idiotic", she wrote on Time Magazine's website.

Her father was caricatured as a "demented evangelist", she wrote, while her mother Nancy was made out to be "a female Attila the Hun".

"To deliberately and calculatingly depict public people as shallow, intolerant, cold and inept, with no truths or facts to back up the portrayals, is nothing short of malevolent," she wrote.

'Impressive performances'

"And my father, obviously, cannot correct the lies told about him."

Mr Reagan is now 92 and suffers from Alzheimer's disease. He was president for eight years from 1981.

On Tuesday, a CBS statement said the mini-series featured "impressive production values and acting performances" and producers had sources to verify every scene.

But it continued: "We believe it does not present a balanced portrayal of the Reagans for CBS and its audience."
0 x

spottacus
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by spottacus » Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:42 pm

Funny - there was supposed to be a fourth option for voters, but I guess it was disallowed. The fourth answer was supposed to read:

X - I am an idiot.
0 x

Pethead1
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Pethead1 » Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:03 pm

Reagan was by far the best pres we have eveer had or will ever have.
Any movie that shows any pres in this kind of light needs to be stoped. I did not like Clinton but I would be just as upset if he was done in such a way. I don't see anyone in hollywood trying to play any libral in a negitive light.

Well maybe I am an Idiot as well.
0 x
Those asleep will be awakened
Not a one will be forsaken.

RockMe
Pethead
Pethead

Reagan

Post by RockMe » Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:12 pm

Reagan was by far the best pres we have eveer had or will ever have.
That depends on what factors you consider. He ended the Cold War, that's true, but when other factors are considered, I wouldn't place him nearly so high. Maybe top ten . . . maybe.

Best is a virtual tie between Washington, Jefferson, and Lincoln.

The main problem with Reagan was that the inflated economy simply could never have lasted, and thus Reagan almost single-handedly destroyed Bush Sr.'s chances for re-election. I think Bush would have been viewed as a better President had he been given four more years.

Clinton was mediocre, and it was mainly the still-burning sting of Reagan's economics (and the recovery Clinton inherited from Bush) that helped him defeat Dole.

FDR, Truman, Ike, Jackson, and Teddy were all better than Reagan.

Thus saith he who does not view the Republicans as God's gift to American politics.
0 x

spottacus
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by spottacus » Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:05 pm

I put Reagan in the top five.

Jefferson's greatest contributions mostly came before he was president. Though the Louisiana Purchase was a great coup, I don't think it required any great genius on Jefferson's part.

Washington's greatest contribution was not declaring himself king or emporor.

Lincoln and T. Rex (Theodore Roosevelt) are probably #1 and #2. I think Washington is tied with Reagan for #3. I place FDR at #5 largely because of Winston Churchill's high praise of his actions during WWII.
0 x

BigD
Pethead
Pethead

Post by BigD » Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:29 pm

I'm not an American, but I'd put him in the top 10, due to my lack of knowledge of many American presidents and the fact he did do a lot of good. Definitely not as good as some people think he was, but one of the best.
Thus saith he who does not view the Republicans as God's gift to American politics.
Heh. Nicely said, Rockme. I think I'll borrow that :)
0 x

RockMe
Pethead
Pethead

After Further Review

Post by RockMe » Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:27 pm

:)

Upon further consideration, I could agree that Reagan should be in the top ten. Probably around 8 or so.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Reagan

Post by Shell » Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:35 pm

I don't usually reply to political stuff, politics make me ill for the most part. :P This is kind of fun though. I'd have to say Reagan is probably in the top ten. And I don't think having a miniseries about him really serves any purpose.

RockMe does have a valid point about the Republicans, but the Democrats gave us Clinton. :D Sorry, couldn't resist.
0 x

RockMe
Pethead
Pethead

Ha!

Post by RockMe » Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:50 pm

the Democrats gave us Clinton.
And Carter!
0 x

Pethead1
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Pethead1 » Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:30 pm

I am from Georgia, was born here and only been out of it like 5 times in 40 years. Jimmy Carter was not a good Governer eather.

If that makes ya'll feel better.

As far as Reagan I was his campain maniger in 10th grade in the elections we had in 1980. I agree with almost everything he stood for and still do.
In fact I had a car wreck 8 years ago or maybe 7. I had to go in an amplince to the ER. The DR called my Mom coz thats the only number I could rember. She called my husband and when they got there the DR was very worred about me and my consuhion(ya'll know I cant spell).
He told my Mom and husband I had a very bad head injuey and could not tell the Pres.
My mom knowing me so well asked him who I was saying was the Pres. He told her I keept saying Ronald Reagan. He was worried because they couldnt make me see it any other way. My mom laughed at the DR and said that ment I would be just fine.
. Image
0 x
Those asleep will be awakened
Not a one will be forsaken.

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

He.

Post by Shell » Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:41 pm

We're just lucky Carter's brother Billy didn't make it to office instead, wouldn't that have been a hoot. I know, I know, that's bad. I'm not feeling real well today, my nephew gave me his cold. I'll take my medication and feel better soon. :D
0 x

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:49 pm

[/QUOTE]Best is a virtual tie between Washington, Jefferson, and Lincoln.[/QUOTE]

Best by far is Washington; he set the precedent for what an American President should be.

Jefferson is overrated. As someone pointed out earlier, most of Jefferson's best contributions came before he was president. Also, he was a driving force behind the party system, which Washington warned against, and he also got us involved in numerous foreign affairs, which Washington also warned against.

I know a lot of people really like Lincoln, but if you would do a little deeper research, you would see why the Union became split, and it wasn't over slavery. The American Government had begun to over step it's bounds, and Lincoln was the last straw. The Emancimation Proclamation was unconstitutional, as well as his attempt to keep the south from splitting.
FDR, Truman, Ike, Jackson, and Teddy were all better than Reagan.
FDR, Teddy, and Truman are all overrated as well. FDR symbolized a good leader, but the fact that he let Pearl Harbor happen when he knew it was going to happen just so he could have a back door to WWII was inhumane and unforgivable.

Couldn't tell you about Jackson or Ike because I don't know enough about them.

In my book, the top three are:

Washington
Reagan
John Quincy Adams
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

spottacus
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by spottacus » Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:31 pm

I disagree that Teddy Roosevelt is overrated. The man was a certifiable genius, and he did some really amazing great things while he was president. His intellect, his foresight, and his character are astounding. To learn more about him, read Edmund Morris' biography: T. Rex.
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Fri Nov 21, 2003 6:09 am

Hey I know

Why dosn't CBS do a movie on our former Governer Davis....I mean and then cancel it because that's what really happend.......lol

Davis made a statement last week, officialy declaring the California Energy Problem over with. I thought to myself, yep it sure is :).....lol

8) 8) 8) 8)
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"