Lack of information leads to the need for a revolution!!!

A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Lack of information leads to the need for a revolution!!!

Post by separateunion » Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:36 pm

I have noticed in the past few years how there have been complaints about the lack of coverage in the world of CCM. If you're a fringe band, good luck keeping people updated about your band (unless, of course, you have a website that isn't run by the record label, which isn't the case most of the time). I can remember artists like Broomtree, Stereo Deluxx, Jeni Vernadeau, Christine Glass, and Eric Champion (all very good artists, and popular in their own right) disappearing off the map; no one knew what these artists were up to, and nobody knew when they called it quits because of a lack of coverage (unless, of course, you were in personal contact with the artist). Most underground mainstream bands get more coverage from popular sites and magazine than Christian artists on smaller labels.

Well, I, for one, am sick of CCM pushing mediocre, spiritually lacking artists while ignoring bands very deserving of attention. It's time for a change. Like Gideon and his army, a few CAN make a difference, and that's why I am asking you today to consider my thoughts.

For years I have toyed with the idea of doing a totally e-mail based Christian Music newsletter. I have some background experience as a journalist and editor, and I will be writing for my college's newspaper next semester. It seems like there are enough Petheads who are willing, and have the ability to put together an independent Christian music newsletter. There are some of us that have connections, and that's a start. I know others who may be willing to help, and perhaps you do as well.

Please give me your honest feedback on this, and if you are willing to help, let me know.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Cool.

Post by Shell » Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:19 pm

I think that's a very good idea Jason; I'd be willing to help out but you'd have to let me know what you'd need me to do. I haven't had a lot of experience in this type of thing, but I'd be willing to learn. You can't get experience unless you get out there. :D I do like to write, that's a start. :D
0 x

eknock
Pethead
Pethead

music

Post by eknock » Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:37 pm

Hey guys, check out my new article on alienmeditations.com, it deals with these very issues. It is called Crying out for depth and you can get to it dirrectly from the main page.

http://www.alienmeditations.com
0 x

Pethead1
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Pethead1 » Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:10 pm

I think it is a great idea. I dont think I can help to much but I would be more than happy to get the word out to youth groups and raido stations in Atlanta if that would help.
Debbie
0 x
Those asleep will be awakened
Not a one will be forsaken.

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:34 pm

I'm not trying to start anything huge with this, just trying to have an outlet for people to recieve information. However, if God wants it to, I wouldn't mind it becoming a full blown magazine/radio show/etc.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Magazine

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:24 am

Hey Sep

I would be interested in developing it into a magazine. For instance, does everybody remember STEVE ARCHER? or THE ARCHERS? I run www.thearchers.org which is the only website up for The Archers.

A few days ago I got an email from a guy who just did an interview with Steve Archer who is in the middle of recording a brand new album. The only thing is, He wants me to pay him something like $150 for the interview and three photos.

If we could turn this into a magazine, we could start searching out our own interviews and really make a differance.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:01 pm

Sorry, it's tough for me to get on here a whole lot when I'm not at school. The internet connection here isn't very good. I just want you to know that I'm not dropping the idea; I'm still fully behind it.

Bakers, if someone had the production capability and the finances to turn this project into a fledgling magazine (I know I don't), that's fine by me. I remember getting a tri-monthly magazine when I was in high school which was started in Joshua Harris' house. He backed it with his money and did it out of his home, so it can work.

Let me know if anyone else has any ideas.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."