A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1984

Russ Taff with Bill Gaither?

Post by LexingtonPethead » Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:09 pm

Did anyone watch the Billy Graham Crusade last night? The Gaither Vocal Band was there and did a few songs...

I saw a familiar face, and I had to hear the voice before I knew for sure... but that was Russ Taff singing with Bill Gaither. Man, he put on so much weight, I would not have recognized him if I had not heard him sing.

Anyway, I could not believe he was singing with Bill Gaither. Not that Bill Gaither is bad or anything, it's just that I can't listen to that kind of music for more than a couple of minutes.

I guess doing traditional gospel is akin to aging ball players who take up coaching. Obviously, Russ Taff wasn't making it in Christian rock anymore.

All this to say that we are truly blessed to be fans of a 30+ year old Christian rock band that still retains original membership and still rocks the house down.[/i]
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1985

Russ Taff

Post by Shell » Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:24 pm

He may not be singing with them permanently. It may have been a special thing for this particular crusade, although I have no way of knowing that for sure. He has a wonderful voice, I was wondering what had happened to him. A lot of good artists were left out in the cold when the industry decided they cared more about money. :P
0 x

misterbob
Pethead
Pethead

Taff is a "permanent" member of GVB

Post by misterbob » Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:13 pm

Hi folks...thought I'd shed some light.
When Mark Lowry left GVB a in Summer/Fall 2001, Russ took his place.
Although I have my own personal lack of desire to watch Bill do anything, the entire group is awesome, especially their tenor David Phelps.

Besides, what's wrong with a little old-fashioned 4-part harmony anyway? :D
0 x

Petrapraise
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Petrapraise » Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:19 pm

I always liked Russ Taff. I haven't heard anything from him for awhile. I'm not neccessarily into the Gaither thing, but maybe he'll use this to kick start his career again.
0 x
[b]PLEASE VISIT:[/b] [url]https://www.facebook.com/Petrapraise/[/url]
Friend 'PETRAPRAISE' at Facebook.

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1984

Post by LexingtonPethead » Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:07 pm

There's nothing wrong with a little bit of old-fashioned 4 part harmony as long as someone else is listening to it... :D

Seriously, though... it may be okay in church, but it's nothing I would spend money on.

I think Russ has a fabulous voice as well... he's got a great rasp that is very distinguished and unique. It would be good to hear him use it for rock 'n roll again.
0 x

Michael
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Taff

Post by Michael » Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:01 am

Yup, Russ has been in GVB for a couple of years now. And actually, he was on the Gaither Homecoming videos for a long time before that, so honestly getting into the GVB especially with his pipes is really not a big surprise.

We got to hear him in maybe his last performance of some of the Medals-era stuff from the 80's in late 1999... it was AWESOME! And it was obvious that he was enjoying himself singing that old stuff that he hadn't sung in a while! He put out a CD I think in early 2000 or so, Right Here, Right Now, and it's FABULOUS. But I get the impression it wasn't a humongous commercial success, maybe because Russ isn't 19 and in a boy band. hehe Anyway, I actually saw a Russ Taff Greatest Hits newly recorded CD in a store not too long ago, produced by Bill Gaither. I haven't heard it, but it's Russ singing some of his awesome older material so my guess is that it's great!
0 x
[url]http://www.GuideToPetra.com[/url] - [url]http://www.ScriptureMenu.com[/url]

[url=http://www.last.fm/user/TulsaMJ/?chartstyle=BasicPetraZone2][img]http://imagegen.last.fm/BasicPetraZone2/recenttracks/TulsaMJ.gif[/img][/url]

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Sat Dec 13, 2003 9:26 am

Russ got his start with The Imperials, at that time were the main force in CCM. Those years were from 1977 to 1980 and every other album either won a Grammy or Dove but all albums were nomintated. They did everything from Rock to Disco to Old Sothern Gospel. But it was all 4 part harmony but it was the best.

Russ did't record his first solo album until 1983 (Walls of Glass).

His new album The Best of Russ Taff is the poorest recording I have ever heard from Russ, and yes I do believe it has to do with Bill Gaither producing it. I have the album, and those songs were better left in their classic stage. Bill dosn't know what he's doing with the classics.

Right Here, Right Now wasn't the best selling album for him, I don't believe anyway, but I have that one as well and He Rocked out. I saw Pam Dietz (formerly of The Imperials) shortly after Russ Taff came to Bakersfield with Ray Boltz and she said that Russ just rocked all through the place. That was back in 2000.

I got the first album that Russ has done with Gaither Vocal Band, it's called "Everything Good" now a lot of the stuff sounds like it did with Mark Lowery, however when Russ kicks in....it's something to be hold. They re-recorded "Alpha and Omega" and rightly so because Russ just let's it fly. I don't like it when artists re-record their old stuff, but in this case it was worth it.

But over all, I'm not afraid to say it, I really think that Bill Gaither is trying to be another Imperials.......sad but it's true. So far he's had 4 former Imperials at different times in his group, Gary McSpadden, Jim Murry, Jonathan Peirce and now Russ Taff. I'm surprised that He hasn't called ol' Mike Omartian in to produce an album......lol

8) 8) 8) 8)
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

onnyII
Pethead
Pethead

Post by onnyII » Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:56 pm

Well... I only saw GVB I'm really sad that I couldn't hear/see Russ..... I most admit I've always loved his music/voice!!!!!! :shock:
0 x
Yeap.. It Was Me....