Moving to Ecuador!

A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
micah
Site Admin

Moving to Ecuador!

Post by micah » Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:20 pm

Looks like I've been cleared by the mission to move to Ecuador next month! My support situation was a little iffy but I think it's close enough.

For those who don't know, I'll be working with HCJB World Radio in their computer department. :) Will study Spanish for 3 months or so in the mornings and work in the afternoon, then start work full time. (I know a good amount of Spanish but they want me to be close to fluent before I start full time work.)

Yeah, I'll be able to continue hosting the Zone. I have no plans to take this virtual server down.

Can't wait to get out of here! :D
0 x

epdc
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake Up Call
Pethead since: 1998

Micah

Post by epdc » Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:25 pm

WHEN ARE YOU LEAVING? CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

BET IT MUST BE AS EXCITING AS IT IS FOR ME WHEN I VISIT USA :)

HAVE A VERY BLESSED TRIP MICAH :) YOU GOTTA TELLS US A FULL REPORT OF IT :)

ANY SPANISH DOUBTS, I`M AVAILABLE :)
0 x
...He will rejoice over thee with joy; He will rest in His love, He will joy over thee with singing...
Zephaniah 3:17

I love this verse!!!!!!

Facebook account: Elo palacios

micah
Site Admin

Post by micah » Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:50 pm

Hi,

I'm probably leaving on January 12th, 13th, or 14th. Need to buy an airline ticket -- one way! :shock:

I'm excited, but I'm only now starting to realize that I'll be away from my family for a while! :shock:
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Ecuador

Post by Shell » Fri Dec 19, 2003 4:22 pm

It's really cool you're doing mission work; I'll be praying for you.
0 x

epdc
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

what?

Post by epdc » Fri Dec 19, 2003 6:41 pm

being away from family is fun! they have a break of you have a break from them lol j/k.

Ya know, when you be there seeing new places and stuff you won`t miss anyone for a while hehehe, they will miss you that`s for sure hehehe.

HOW EXCITING MICAH.
0 x
...He will rejoice over thee with joy; He will rest in His love, He will joy over thee with singing...

I love this verse!!!!!!

micah
Site Admin

Post by micah » Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:54 am

Yeah, I'm excited. But I was in Ecuador for a month last year so it's not like it will be totally new.

There's some really neat stuff to see, though, like some of the baskets that Jim Elliott and Nate Saint used to lower gifts to the Auca indians (you're all familiar with that story, right?) and part of the plane that they used.
0 x

epdc
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

EMMMMM

Post by epdc » Sun Dec 21, 2003 1:08 am

MMMMMMMMMMM, nop. I`m from M�xico not from Ecuador hehehe and also I live way to near from USA :P

NOW YOU GOTTA TELL THE STORY MICAH.
0 x

I love this verse!!!!!!

micah
Site Admin

Post by micah » Sun Dec 21, 2003 5:42 am

Ok, sure! From what I can remember of it ...

Jim Elliott, Nate Saint, and 3 others (forget the names) were missionaries in Ecuador in the 1950s. Nate was a pilot with Mission Aviation Fellowship, and the group had a loose connection to HCJB World Radio (which I am joining now). They were based in a town called Shell, just into the jungle on the eastern slopes of the Andes. (I still haven't figured out why there is a town called Shell in a Spanish speaking country. :roll: Not a Spanish name at all!)

There was this group of unreached savages called the Aucas who lived deep in the jungle. No other group of outsiders had ever successfully contacted them -- if they got too close, the Aucas simply killed them!

These five missionaries were determined to win these people for Christ. They flew out in a small plane over the Auca tribe and lowered gifts in baskets down to the Aucas. The savages also put things into the baskets to return to the missionaries. I think they also talked through some type of radio system. This continued for quite some time (several months I think).

Finally, the missionaries decided they had built up enough trust from the Aucas that they could land and visit them in person. One morning they landed the plane on a sandy riverbank near the settlement. The Aucas came ... and promptly murdered all of them! :shock:

Later, the widows of the missionaries went back to the tribe. The Aucas accepted the widows and eventually they came to know Christ! Some of the very men that killed the missionaries have toured the States speaking of how God had changed their lives.

The name of the tribe was changed from Auca ("savage") to Waoroni (hmm, I forget the meaning now... "people" maybe?)

That story has motivated a LOT of young people to get into missions. It also had a fairly large impact on me. There is a book written by Elisabeth Elliott, Jim's widow, that tells the whole story. I want to read it someday, haven't yet. It's called Through Gates of Splendor.

Like I said, I was in the Mission Aviation Fellowship hangar in Shell and saw some of the history of this mission. It's pretty moving. HCJB World Radio now runs a hospital in Shell where they give medical care to the jungle inhabitants. That hospital was a dream of Nate Saint.

Someday I hope I can actually go to Auca/Waoroni territory. Alas, that kind of thing isn't what I will be there for, so it will probably have to be on vacation time.
0 x

epdc
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

WOW

Post by epdc » Sun Dec 21, 2003 7:01 pm

NOW THAT`S AN EXAMPLE OF FORGIVENESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You just don`t know Micah, maybe somebody can take you over there on a weekend you might have free I don`t know.

Shell, mmmmmm no, not idea, you can ask when you be there and let us know!!
0 x

I love this verse!!!!!!

micah
Site Admin

Post by micah » Sun Dec 21, 2003 10:29 pm

Yeah, it might be possible on a weekend trip from Quito. Especially if I'm already working at the hospital in Shell, which I might do occasionally.

Now, should I mention the *other* reason I'm looking forward to getting down there? :oops: :D :oops:

Last time I was in Ecuador, I met a girl at an English young adult Bible study. She said she was from Oregon, where I live also. That was neat, but I probably wouldn't have ever remembered her again except that a few months later she comes up to me at my church and says "hey, didn't I see you in Ecuador?" :shock: Wow, I never would remember people I only saw once. Well, she brought back an Ecuadoran boyfriend (now her husband), who I got to know over the last few months. He got me in touch with a lady friend of his in Quito, and I've been talking to her for a while (but only 2-3 times a month because her e-mail and computer are unreliable). Anyway, she sounds sweet and I think she's a little too excited about my arrival! :shock: :oops: I don't know if there are any "possibilities" there or not, but you can pray! :D
0 x

Petrapraise
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Petrapraise » Sun Dec 21, 2003 11:26 pm

HCJB was somewhere my church always supported in missions givings. Good luck to you.

Are you going to keep going with "ThePetraZone.net"?
0 x
[b]PLEASE VISIT:[/b] [url]https://www.facebook.com/Petrapraise/[/url]
Friend 'PETRAPRAISE' at Facebook.

epdc
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

HEHEHEHEHEHEHHE

Post by epdc » Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:51 am

YOU STUD!!!!!!!! :wink: :D

I`ll tell God about it and you better tells us what happened ok?? ;)

is she american or she is latin?
0 x

I love this verse!!!!!!

epdc
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

before i got to bed

Post by epdc » Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:56 am

before i go to bed after all this translation i have been doing, I GOTTA ASK THIS:

do you have pics of her?, does she has pics of you?, how long do you guys know each other?, is she older or younger? TELL, TELL!!!!!!!! WE WANNA KNOW, YOUR PETHEAD FAMILY WANTS TO KNOW LOLOL
0 x

I love this verse!!!!!!

micah
Site Admin

Post by micah » Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:02 am

Petrapraise: cool deal! I don't suppose your church wants to take on another missionary? :D I'm actually "sort of there" with my support goal but I'm going a bit on faith. If something happens to any of my supporters I could be in trouble! :shock:

And yes, I plan to keep hosting the Petra Zone. It runs on the same server as JesusIsLife.net, which I see as an important ministry so I don't plan to take it down.

By the way, if anyone wants to be on my snail mail and/or e-mail prayer letter list, drop a note to micah AT jesusislife.net with your address.

Elo, she is Ecuadoran. :D I've only talked to her since like July or so, and then only infrequently because of her e-mail situation.

I do have a couple pics with her in them. I think she has seen pics of me also.

Actually I probably need some advice about dating Latin American women. :oops: For that matter, I need advice on women, period. :oops: :oops: My experience with them is next to squat. :D Is dating in Latin America mostly the same as it is in the States?

Maybe Kirkman has a pointer, since he married someone from Bolivia? :D
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Hehe.

Post by Shell » Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:16 am

Bring her flowers and candy and you'll be able to get away with just about anything. :D I'm joking. I would imagine the best thing to do is just be her friend. :)
0 x