Divorce

A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
micah
Site Admin

Re: ag

Post by micah » Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:07 am

executioner wrote:There are three ways God will release you from a marriage. other then these three ways God says it is a sin.

[...]
3. your spouse is NOT a Christian or renouces their faith in God
Not quite. The unbelieving spouse first has to want to leave -- if he/she leaves, you're free; if he/she does not want to leave, you need to stay with them. See 1 Cor 7:12-16
0 x

winterlens
Pethead
Pethead

Infidelity

Post by winterlens » Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:42 pm

For the record, even infidelity (adultery) was not originally grounds for divorce. Jesus tells us in Matthew that it was granted by Moses because of the hardness of the Israelite hearts. There is NO provision for believers to divorce in the Scripture; as Micah rightly pointed out, converts were expected to remain with their unbelieving spouses unless the unbelievers separated.

When we discuss marriage spiritually, we should understand that it defines our relationship with God. He denies divorce to us because he won't divorce us.
0 x
DIA PISTEWS IHSOU CRISTOU

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

what paul said

Post by gman » Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:02 am

I think what Paul meant by what he said, at least the way I took it was that if two unlievers are married and one gets saved, if the other wants nothing to do with becoming a christian then the christian has the right to divorce. I think that if two genuine believers enter into a marraige, there is no provision for divorce except for the unfaithfulness of a spouse. If a believer willingly marries an unbeliever, that is their mistake and they must live with it.
As for two believers just getting divorced, have we become too soft and sensitive in this country to the point that pastors are afraid to lay down the law and say something like: "divorce is not an option, work this out. Separate for awhile maybe, but work it out. Get on your knees and fight for this marraige. If you choose to divorce I will have no part in endorsing your decision."
I fear that the hollywood idea of marraige is creeping into the church, as is relative truth.
0 x