What do we do?

A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
Petrafan4life79
Pethead
Pethead

What do we do?

Post by Petrafan4life79 » Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:27 pm

This is probably way off topic, but I wanted to see what you guys had to say about this. Those of you from Minnesota know how cold our winters can get. :shock: We just moved in Sept. so this is our first winter in this apt. We have baseboard heaters that are hot water operated and this apt. is FREEZING!!! It was only 64 degrees in here last night. The heaters are warm to the touch, but there's no heat blowing out. I've talked to the apt. managers 3 times now and every time they tell us, "You must not block the heaters with furniture", "It's cold outside", "You're the only apt. that's complained", and since we're on the 3rd floor they say, "There's no one above you to help insulate you." Well, fact is, we've lived on the 3rd floor before with furniture in front of the baseboard heaters and we've had to open windows cause it got so hot. I know many people that live in apts. and they have furniture in front of their heaters with no problems.

Since they don't see a problem I decided to look stuff up on the internet on what to do and it looks like the next step is to get the Code Inspection's involved. I don't like confrontation and it sounds like you can cause a lot of problems between you and your apt. manager. Just what I want. :roll: I told the maintenance guy if I have to I'll get someone else in here to fix the problem and send the bill to the apts. His retort to that was, "They'll just tell you your furniture is blocking the heater." :x He can't get it through his head that there is nothing coming OUT of the heater. I shouldn't have to sleep with 5 blankets, sweats and a sweatshirt at night (I'm serious). These are nice apts. We have no other complaints other than the heat, so no it's not some dumpy place that should be condemned or something, not at all.

Sorry this is so long. I'd appreciate any tips or ideas. Thanks!
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Oh boy.

Post by Shell » Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:26 pm

It's things like this that make me glad I live in California. :P

Seriously, if there is a problem with your apartment, it IS the manager's responsibility to take care of it; you would have a good legal case if he doesn't take care of it. And just because no one else has complained about the heat doesn't mean there's not a problem with yours. It might be a pain in the rear, but I would go ahead and do what you need to. You shouldn't have to freeze.

Maybe someone else who lives in that freezing part of the country might be of more help. :)
0 x

Petrafan4life79
Pethead
Pethead

Update

Post by Petrafan4life79 » Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:55 pm

Well, a bit has changed and will change since I posted last on this topic. We moved our furniture around like they told us to and I also vacuumed what little dust was in the heaters, and it didn't make much of a difference. My Father in law brought his space heater over and that seems to be helping warm things up. But, we shouldn't have to be using it. :roll: Anyway, today I had to run downstairs to the office to talk to them about something unrelated to the heat and that subject came up as well. The maintenance guy is going to come up and put plastic on our windows today, so we'll see what happens there. They also filled me in on some stuff as far as some changes in the future and whatnot. Basically, we came to an understanding compared to yesterday, so I think we're on each other's good side again. :D So, I'm happy again!

*sings* If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands. If you're hap--py....um...yeah, I was just on my way out... :P :shock:
0 x