A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

New artist I've been blown away by.

Post by executioner » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:29 am

We went to Shout Fest once again and was really impressed with some of the new artists out there. One we were really impressed with was FireFlight. A really good straight ahead rock-n-roll outfit with a female lead singer and a female bass player. Go check out their site!

www.fireflightrock.com
Last edited by executioner on Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Epyon5757
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: No Doubt
Pethead since: 1990

Post by Epyon5757 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:33 am

They're getting pretty heavy airplay on Air1 88.1 of Champaign, IL and Shine.fm 89.7 out of Kankakee, IL (I'm back and forth between the two towns pretty much every week). I know radio is not the best way to catch new acts, and I don't listen to radio much anyway - but they always seem to be on it, and I am impressed by what I've heard.

This band (Fireflight) deserves watching...and more listening.

Just went to their myspace site after writing the above and listened to some of their other songs. I think I shall buy their CD as soon as I have some extra money (three weeks). I was highly impressed by what I heard so far.
0 x
Hey, did you ever think twice? If you don't bother, gonna pay the price...

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

l

Post by executioner » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:45 am

Interesting fact about the song "Liar" on the Fireflight CD; Before they played it at the show the lead singer talked about on how you can interpet this song in many ways but they wrote it about the CCM market and about the church.
0 x

Epyon5757
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Epyon5757 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:02 am

I have now obtained the CD "The Healing of Harms" through legal means (in other words...I went out and bought it...and after all the searching I had to do for it, I wasn't gonna be denied...eight stores and only the last one I went to had it...ugh).

CD is a piece of work. It makes some Kutless songs sound like a light rock band (instead of the heavy band that they usually are)...and given Kutless's rep for bringin' the heavy machinery, that should say something.

I enjoyed 10 of 11 (or is it 12) songs. This is also a rarity...the only other group that I have CD's for to get an enjoy rate that high is Petra - and only 3 of their CD's did that (On Fire, Unseen Power, Jekyll and Hyde).

Some of the songs (Waiting, It's You) sounded like something that could have been heard on a Petra CD had they stayed hard rock (as opposed to going soft rock/pop) in the late 90's...but I am NOT going to argue that point (and have no desire to...the music was still good).

Here's hoping that they come to Champaign, IL in the near future!!!!

On another topic - what's up with the Newsboys going soft/pop all of a sudden (well...over the last 5 years or so)? Are they nearing the end of their run, too? They used to be a lot more rock (Going Public, Step Up to the Microphone, Take Me To Your Leader)...now they're a lot more...not rock. They still play good music, but I hate to see a tremendous band go soft over the years like they have. Then again...Petra followed a similar arc before Jekyll and Hyde. Newsboys are starting to look a bit old and tired to me.

Kutless, Day of Fire, Fireflight - I think these groups are the new rock. I don't imagine any of them will survive the fickle impulses of the music world long enough to build up a resume like that of Petra, Newsboys, or Audio Adrenaline...Kutless tours 200-250 dates a year (STILL) and has been doing this for nearly 4 years now - I wonder how long before the road burns them out. But - they are radio savvy. If these groups each lasted 10-15 years of national exposure, it would be an accomplishment.

If they last longer...then they're passing into territory where only the best Christian bands have been.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

the only

Post by executioner » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:53 am

The only song I did not care for on the CD was the first song "Serenity" all the other songs were really great. I urge everyone to pick it up! My Favs on the CD are:

1. You Decide
2. The Waiting
3. It's You
4. Myself
5. Action
0 x

MineField
Pethead
Pethead

Post by MineField » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:03 pm

There aren't really a whole lot out there right now that blows me away! But I will tell you of this little band called "Maylene and the Sons of Disaster" These guys are awesome! If anyone is familiar with the band UnderOath? This band has their original lead singer, Dallas Taylor! Maylene has been called "Southern-Core" cause they do supply a bit of southern influence to Hardcore music! :D
0 x
[img]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o268/lbchilders/Novelties/f_guitarflamem_f14d4a9.gif[/img]
KEEP IT LOUD FOR CHRIST!

Epyon5757
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Epyon5757 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:00 pm

I like "Serenity." However, I do think that the verses and the chorus don't fit together quite right. I DO think "Serenity" could have used something like a thirty or forty second opening based on the song chorus - a la "Stars" by Switchfoot.
I didn't care for "Star of the Show" that much...but overall, the CD rocks.
Fireflight is the SECOND group to catch my ear so quickly and result in an instant fan (Petra, back in 1990, was the other). It took me a little bit to warm up to Kutless and the Newsboys.

Epyon
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

i

Post by executioner » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:57 am

If never been a Kutless fan. Their music just sounds the same after a while somewhat like Creed. I did like Creeds first CD, but after that it just seemed like same ol same.
0 x

Epyon5757
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Epyon5757 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:03 pm

I never got into Creed - I got the feeling when listening to them that they were just out to make money off of what I felt was a very vague spiritual message.
This seems to be reinforced with Scott Stapp's new "cd" - which is obviously written with a bent to get CHristians to buy it - followed by his...antics...which are well documented - drinking and drugging heavily, some other inappropriate stuff that I won't post here.

Kutless to me - when I listen to their lyrics, I feel that they are putting their souls into their music and that they don't really care about the "money" side of it. They may sound a bit like Creed (and Stain'd, and Nickelback, and Third Day, and Pearl Jam - who all have similar style lead singers) - but their music seems to be authentic. Creed did not feel authentic - too many "cliche statements" and vague references. I avoid snakes like Amy Grant and Sandy Patti (only in Christian music could someone cheat on their spouse, orchestrate multiple divorces, get married to the guy she was cheating with, and THEN do this three separate times while still maintaining their "clean" status in Christian music)....Creed is still a snake, but of a different breed. I don't like snakes, and I won't listen to their product.

Anyway - that's just my feeling. Kutless is slipping a bit in my ratings - I'm starting to get tired of their (newer) music sounding very similar to the song before it which sounds similar to the song before it which sounds similar to the song before it.

Epyon
Champaign, IL
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

u

Post by executioner » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:32 pm

Your last sentence there is why I don't like Kutless. Everything sounds like the song before.
0 x

Epyon5757
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Epyon5757 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:53 pm

Kutless' first two albums weren't that bad, but the last two (Strong Tower and Hearts of the Innocent) have some tracks that sound almost exactly the same. That is most annoying, and if they aren't careful, could find themselves in the street if they don't generate some different-sounding stuff.
Oh, well.

By the way, I don't suppose you'd know how I can copyright some songs I wrote, do ya?

Epyon
Champaign, IL
0 x

BigD
Pethead
Pethead

Post by BigD » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:31 pm

I am also impressed with Fireflight - they keep the edge to their sound, unlike may christian rock bands who just go straight to pop or all the way to rap/metal.
0 x