A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1984

How Many Petheads Listen to Air1?

Post by LexingtonPethead » Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:13 pm

Hey Petheads, I was wondering how many of us are tuning in to Air1, either by broadcast repeaters or online?

Of course, they're NOT playing any Petra, which is a BIG mistake in my book. But... there's a lot of serious new rock out there that is awesome, and Air1 is all over it.

Just wondering how many Petheads are tuning in.
0 x

String
Pethead
Pethead

Post by String » Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:26 pm

I haven't listened to that station for about two years. I guess it never made a big enough impression for me to return.
0 x

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by LexingtonPethead » Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:48 pm

A lot can change in 2 years, my friend. For one thing, they dropped all the hip-pop, techno and rap. All they play now is hard rock, rock and pop rock.

And, they've put up a LOT more repeaters just in the year that I have been listening. Now I can drive lots of places out of my area, including Cincinnati, where I can pick them up when I'm passing through.

I also get a high speed stream off their server and use a cable modem for an outstanding playback on my computer soundsystem. It's a kickin' sound!

I guess I get sick and tired of people saying Christian rock is somehow inferior to secular rock. I'm telling you and everyone else who reads this that the best music is being played on Air1. Compare it to whatever secular station you want... Air1 is better.

Now, if they would just discover Petra!

www.air1.com
0 x

Petrapraise
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Petrapraise » Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:50 pm

I've never really listened. I usually listen to Christianrock.net.
0 x
[b]PLEASE VISIT:[/b] [url]https://www.facebook.com/Petrapraise/[/url]
Friend 'PETRAPRAISE' at Facebook.

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by LexingtonPethead » Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:13 pm

Air1 is actually a broadcast radio network owned by the K-Love people in California. They broadcast in multiple locations around the country by using local radio stations as "repeater" stations that make up a national network.

Many of these repeaters are low powered stations, though, because it's very expensive to operate real powerful stations in big metropolitan areas. Luckily, I live in an area that they cover, so I can actually listen to them in my car, etc... instead of being limited to online streaming.

I don't know how long they were in Lexington before I discovered it.

You know, it's a real shame that a lot of Christians who like rock music don't rally more behind these kinds of efforts. I run into people all the time who are Christians who listen to secular rock, and for one reason or another, won't give a valid Christian rock station a chance.

It's a lot like the Christian rock stations who won't give Petra a chance on the radio anymore.
0 x

Petrapraise
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Petrapraise » Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:49 pm

You know, it's a real shame that a lot of Christians who like rock music don't rally more behind these kinds of efforts. I run into people all the time who are Christians who listen to secular rock, and for one reason or another, won't give a valid Christian rock station a chance.

It's a lot like the Christian rock stations who won't give Petra a chance on the radio anymore.
Good point. But I live in a mid-major market(Chattanooga, TN) and all we have is one adult contemporary channel. If all you like is rock then you have to wait to get home and be on the internet at the same time. This is harder to do when you have a family. I'd listen if I could, but the only station we had only survived a couple of years.
0 x

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by LexingtonPethead » Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:26 pm

Chattanooga??? Really???? :D :D :D

You won't believe this... I checked Air1's web site, and they have a repeater station in Chattanooga!! The dial position is 90.1 FM. :D

Petrapraise, I am as serious as a heart attack... you have GOT to check this out. You are blessed!! You've got AIR1 right in your backyard!!

Tune it in and let me know what you think!
0 x

Petrapraise
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Petrapraise » Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:57 am

Well Lex, I checked it out. Actually I have heard it before. The only problem is it gets staticy at times. I'll have to see what I can get to improve my recption. Thanks for the tip.
0 x

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by LexingtonPethead » Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:32 pm

PPraise, their license is probably in a bedroom community outside of Chattanooga, but still considered part of the Chattanooga market.

Static is also the way it is here in "Lexington" because their license and tower are about 40 miles south of town. I'm in sales, and my territory is all over their core coverage area to the south of Lexington.

So, when I'm out getting some windshield time, I can crank them up fully loaded! :D

If you can find out where their license is, you can get some good jams when you're passing through the area! :D
0 x

Mexican Spud
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Air1

Post by Mexican Spud » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:40 am

I've been listening to Air1 on nad off for several years. But the last couple of years, in my opinion, has been bad. They play the same songs ove and over and over again. You here a song you really like and then they overkill it. And when they email you they LAB survey. you right the same songs over and over agian. They have also asked which songs you like to listen to that they are not playing. I always type in anything from JAH for the past 3 months and nothing :cry: :cry:
0 x

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by LexingtonPethead » Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:34 am

Well, I tend to listen to Air1 in "doses". When I listen, I listen heavily for a few days to find out what's new and to hear what I like until I get bored with it, then I listen to CDs for a while. Then I start tuning in again.

Like any other CHR (Contemporary Hit Radio) radio station either in the Christian or secular market, many songs are placed in heavy rotation. That's just the way that format works whether it's Christian music or not. You just have to learn to listen to it in "doses".

I agree with you about the lack of Petra's presence on Air1. I have emailed them to no avail. But with only this one grievance as an exception, I think Air1 is doing a fantastic job exposing thousands of people to Christian rock music who may not otherwise listen to it.

And you have to admit, everything is done professionally and presented well. I would be proud to have any non-believer tune in to it.
0 x