Being Genuine

A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Being Genuine

Post by separateunion » Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:12 am

There's an interesting article on cmcentral called Being Genuine which talks about the Christian band vs. Christian's in a band discussion that we have had here lately:

http://www.cmcentral.com/features/292.html
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

Michael
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Michael Janke

Post by Michael » Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:08 pm

That article was probably inspired by our discussion; if you remember, Mike Janke was part of it. :)
0 x
[url]http://www.GuideToPetra.com[/url] - [url]http://www.ScriptureMenu.com[/url]

[url=http://www.last.fm/user/TulsaMJ/?chartstyle=BasicPetraZone2][img]http://imagegen.last.fm/BasicPetraZone2/recenttracks/TulsaMJ.gif[/img][/url]

epdc
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake Up Call
Pethead since: 1998

GOOD

Post by epdc » Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:56 pm

I couldn`t finish it it because I don`t have much time right now, but I saved it on my puter for checking it later. For what I read it is very interesting and somehow is a *short version* hehehehe of ALL the stuff we all discuss here hehehehe ;)
0 x
...He will rejoice over thee with joy; He will rest in His love, He will joy over thee with singing...
Zephaniah 3:17

I love this verse!!!!!!

Facebook account: Elo palacios

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1984

Post by LexingtonPethead » Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:20 am

I read the article, and Mike Janke did a great job with it. I also think the discussion Mike Jones is referring to that we had on the Zone got a bit out of hand... and I for one, admittedly :roll: got carried away with trying to be "right".

The thing we all have to remember is that there is much more cultural diversity in the world today than there was say 15 or 20 years ago. Reaching people for Christ today is far more difficult because of all these cultural differences. The Bible toting, Scripture quoting, clean-cut image that people associate with Christianity takes on a judgemental persona to people who have had rough childhoods and/or have lived in counter-cultural lifestyles.

In this sense, I see Mike Janke's point that people who write in "the knowledge" probably will have little effect on people with varying cultural backgrounds.

The same point could be made if you tried sending a team of fundamentals from Bob Jones University into Broad Ripple, IN to witness to "bridge kids" that hang out with their multiple body piercings and mohawk hairdos.

With regards to Christian music, PERSONALLY, while I buy CDs from "Christians in a band" as well as "Christian bands", I prefer music with a message, based on where I am with my relationship with Christ.

At the same time, I recognize that God may have certain bands right where He wants them so they can fulfill a purpose He has crafted, whether that purpose is understood by me or by others like me.
Last edited by LexingtonPethead on Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1984

Post by LexingtonPethead » Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:36 am

Something that no one has pointed out... just because there are counter-cultural people out there who may look "extreme" in their appearance, or who may not "fit in" in with the typical evangelical church doesn't mean that the only music that will reach them is music with a non-direct reference to Christ.

Skillet is a good example of a punk band that is obviously after the counter-cultural crowd, but their music is unmistakenly Christian.

Likewise, just because a band may dress counter-culturally doesn't mean that people in the mainstream won't listen to their music. Many "normal" looking people do. 8)
0 x

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:09 am

That article was probably inspired by our discussion; if you remember, Mike Janke was part of it.
I knew I had heard that name somewhere else when I first read the article.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

winterlens
Pethead
Pethead

Post by winterlens » Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:45 am

The only thing I'd have to say is this:

It's okay if Christian musicians shed the evangelist moniker and say what they'd like in their lyrics. But any Christian who assumes that moniker absolutely must incorporate the person and work of Jesus Christ. That's the very definition of the gospel.

If we want to produce non-evangelistic music, that's just fine--there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. But we had better not do that and slap some kind of evangelistic label on it. It does a grave injustice to the real gospel (not to mention the hundreds who died for it).
0 x
DIA PISTEWS IHSOU CRISTOU

epdc
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake Up Call
Pethead since: 1998

ELO CLAPPING

Post by epdc » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:42 pm

A very good article *two thumbs up* I finally could read it.

I like what he said there because ya know, God has given us creativity and imagination ya know for using for His glory. We might think "but this song is not preaching" but ya know, God can use it so that person keep looking until that person finds Him ya know.

I just went to a youth event last weekend. Every year, they make a mmm play? is that correct?, well, a play were the preach the message of Jesus ya know since many people that goes is unbeliever sometimes.

Well, every year they always made the classic "drug addict that received Jesus" and stuff like that. Well, this time, the topic was "Matrix" but instead of Matrix the name of the event was "The Source" (that represents God).

During the play, somehow they found the way of finding a christian view in Matrix and it was a big success. They made like a copy of Matrix but the matrix represented the world that fills our minds with lies (like you don`t worth anything, you are loser, blablabla) and the outside of matrix is the spiritual world. well, is a long story for telling it here.

The point is that God gave us imagination, and each person is different so the way of reaching people has to change sometimes or we have to make new ways of reaching people.

Maybe we won`t be the ones that makes them do the prayer but maybe God will use us for making this person to think about it and keep looking until they find God ya know.
0 x
...He will rejoice over thee with joy; He will rest in His love, He will joy over thee with singing...
Zephaniah 3:17

I love this verse!!!!!!

Facebook account: Elo palacios