Passion of The Christ

A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
Michael
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

TPOTC

Post by Michael » Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:05 am

Cat and I saw it last Thursday (I haven't been on since then because I've been having back trouble and have been trying to rest as much as possible), and I have to agree that although it is graphic, it's not as graphic as I expected after all the hoopla (Roger Ebert called it "the most violent movie he's ever seen"). I wish I could remember where it says that Jesus' appearance on the cross was so horrible that it was difficult to recognize Him as a human being... maybe someone can help me out with that. But it was plenty graphic enough, for sure!

I'm surprised there hasn't been a little bit of backlash from Christians who believe Catholics are not Christians. There are several things in the film that come from Catholic tradition and that probably pretty much go over most Protestants' heads (they did mine... I had to look up the Stations of the Cross to find out who those extra female characters were). Mary in particular is given a lot of screen time and always looks very pious and holy... although she does try to help Jesus, to me a mother would be freaking out a bit more than she does in the movie. But I don't think those influences mess up the movie (there are other things which are pure moviemaking fiction, and those things don't mess it up either), and I do think it's a worthwhile movie for anyone to see. I wouldn't take a child to see it, though, unless I was positive he could handle seeing someone beat up and whipped and see nails being hammered into hands.
0 x
[url]http://www.GuideToPetra.com[/url] - [url]http://www.ScriptureMenu.com[/url]

[url=http://www.last.fm/user/TulsaMJ/?chartstyle=BasicPetraZone2][img]http://imagegen.last.fm/BasicPetraZone2/recenttracks/TulsaMJ.gif[/img][/url]

Michael
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Article about box office

Post by Michael » Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:17 am

0 x
[url]http://www.GuideToPetra.com[/url] - [url]http://www.ScriptureMenu.com[/url]

[url=http://www.last.fm/user/TulsaMJ/?chartstyle=BasicPetraZone2][img]http://imagegen.last.fm/BasicPetraZone2/recenttracks/TulsaMJ.gif[/img][/url]

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:17 pm

I guess our estimates of it making $60 million at the box office were a tad low, eh?
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

sacrod
Pethead
Pethead

Post by sacrod » Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:54 pm

FYI, acording to Entertainment Tonight, the movie has grossed over $150 million after the first week of it's opening. It's one of the biggest openings to a movie (they might've said something like it surpassed Lord of the Rings, or it was second only to Lord of the Rings).

Speaking personally, and from watching and listening to all of the interviews (including one with Dr. James Dobson), and reading the stories, it is my belief that Mel Gibson did not make this movie for the money. Yes, he made a great deal, but he had said that this movie was 12 years in the making, and he felt that this was something he had to make (Spirit-ordained), especially since all the past Jesus movies had appeared to be "bubble gum" versions of the story. He felt called to make this movie so much that he spent $30 million of his own money when nobody else dared to/wanted to fund it. Gibson has also mentioned that he's spoken with thousands of theologians on this topic (including his friend Dr. Robert Schuller from the Crystal Cathedral), and has had the opportunity to examine a variety of viewpoints. But he did say that he had to put an artistic character to it, so that the violence and the scourging would not be more than people can handle.

I wouldn't sell his motives short on the basis of his "star" power or the media attention, or movies that he's made in the past, or that he isn't a Billy Graham, or the fact that we don't know whether Mel will put his earnings to a ministry. For all we know, he probably already has. For example, he is spending his own money on building a large church, and I imagine that church will have the opportunity to minister to many people. God uses anybody, despite past sins or public reputations.

Furthermore, just because somebody is not part of the mainstream beliefs of a religion doesn't imply that something's wrong with his theology. A dedicated Christian philosopher named Alaisdair MacIntyre, for example, defends the need to stick with tradition (and Gibson appears to be the kind that wants to stick with some of the old traditional practices of his faith). Of course, I don't know what those are, as I'm not familiar with Catholic theology; but I'm sure he has his reasons. Most of us would not agree with Roman Catholicism; but Roman Catholicism IS a the mainstream in American society. Just because we don't agree with it doesn't mean we're cultic. Also, many who are not part of a Southern Baptist church or an Assemblies of God church are not in line with the mainstream beliefs of Protestantism. That does not mean that there's something wrong with them, and their motives for doing something is misguided.

Of course, we can never truly know the motives of a person, and only God can judge; but from what I've seen, heard, and read, Gibson is a very intelligent individual, and he appears to be very dedicated to his faith in Christ.
0 x
"and love is not the easy thing/ the only baggage that you can bring/ it's all that you can't leave behind" - U2

Petrafan4life79
Pethead
Pethead

Tonight

Post by Petrafan4life79 » Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:55 pm

12 of us went to see the movie tonight and all I can say is, I'm speechless. :?
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

money and theology

Post by gman » Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:56 pm

I don't know anyone who says that Mel made this movie for the money. What people are saying is just understand who gets the money. The church is flocking to this movie and shelling out a lot of money and there are great Christian bands like Petra, Christian organizations, missionaries, etc., who are out busting tail everyday to get the gospel out and they can't get enough support from the church.

Also, I don't know anyone who is questioning Mel's sincerity or saying that his different beliefs make his motives misguided. He seems to be very sincere and very passionate about getting this film out, and he has good reasons for wanting to do it. The whole point about his beliefs is simply to point what they are so that the people in the church are not confused. When they hear or read him say something to the effect of other religions, such as Islam, worship the same God and may have a way to heaven, they know that is wrong. That has nothing to do with his motives or whether or not the movie is good or people should see it. It is simply to make people aware of his beliefs and to warn against holding him up as a spiritual and theological model, and only because he is very popular right now. No one cares what Joe Smith down the street believes. Mel on the other hand is very popular right now and I think it is important to be aware of what he believes. The same is true for bands. Creed makes cool music and I'm sure does so for good reasons, but what they say and what they believe is important because it doesn't fit with the bible and because they are popular and getting those ideas out there.
0 x