A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
St_Augustines_Pears
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: GOD FIXATION
Pethead since: 1999

URGENT PRAYER REQUEST...PLEASE!

Post by St_Augustines_Pears » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:50 am

If you don't know, I work as a hotel front desk clerk...been at my current job since August 2008.

While working, if I take in any cash from customers, I need to make a "drop" at the end of my shift. Now, the Hindu owners of the hotel
(they're originally from India) live in Kansas City, MO and only come up to the hotel here in Iowa twice a month...on the 15th and 30th (or 31st). They bring supplies and our paychecks, then head home after a few hours with the cash deposits. I was informed by the manager on March 26th that the owners are livid because my cash drop for March 19th is missing...in the amount of $112.00. :shock: If they can't find it, I'll probably be fired.

I can (and will) stand before Jesus Christ and say with 100% truth that I did not take that money. But that's not going to help me much if the owners don't believe me, and I don't want to be fired for three reasons...

1. My witness to many people will be shot (the owners, my ex-wife, my daughter, my co-workers, etc.)
2. It's a huge black mark on my integrity.
3. It would be hard to find another job in this recession.

They'll probably tell me I have two options...pay back $112.00, or be terminated. I will not admit to something that I DID NOT DO just to save my job!

I pray that God, in His wisdom, will straighten this situation out. If for some reason He does not, and this door is slammed shut, a new window will open. I just wish I knew why this is happening to me. Thanks in advance for any and all prayers.
0 x
THOMAS R. LEHMER 6/7/44-2/11/05.

"This journey seems so long, as I await the dawn...all alone and so weary" - Petra's "Over The Horizon"

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Re: URGENT PRAYER REQUEST...PLEASE!

Post by separateunion » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:53 am

By paying the $112.00, you're not admitting that you stole the money. If it will save your job, it seems a small price to pay.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:14 am

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this...There is so much unfair stuff out there. Let us know how it goes.
0 x

knotodiswrld
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War
Pethead since: 1984

Post by knotodiswrld » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:26 pm

I'll be praying for you.

But I agree that paying the money is not an admission of guilt, especially if you make a statement to the effect of, "I promise that I did not take the money, but I acknowledge that it is possible that I somehow misplaced it. Just in case the missing money is my fault, I will pay it back."
0 x
The Master of The Earth became a servant of no worth
And paid a kings ransom for my soul

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:40 pm

If they don't believe your word, are they really worth working for?
0 x

Jan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Jan » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:14 pm

What a tough situation! I'm sorry you have to deal with this. I think you are right to not pay the money, and trust God to somehow work things out. I'm praying.
0 x
I love it when Schlitt happens!!

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:57 am

You're in a tough position.... so sorry to hear that.

Is there any way to track it, or prove you made the deposit and THEY or someone inbetween lost it?

I'll be praying...
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:26 pm

No camera footage to view?
No bank deposit pick-up service?
0 x

St_Augustines_Pears
Pethead
Pethead

Post by St_Augustines_Pears » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:55 am

brent wrote:No camera footage to view?
No bank deposit pick-up service?
1st question...we do have security cameras in place, but for about two weeks, the system was down...including the night of the 19th. :evil:

2nd question...no. The owners live in Kansas City, MO. When they come up on the 15th and 30th/31st, they pick up the cash drops from the deposit box and take them home to their bank.
0 x

"This journey seems so long, as I await the dawn...all alone and so weary" - Petra's "Over The Horizon"

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:43 am

That's crazy. They obviously have no business sense. Do they not deposit every day? BAD NEWS. Since you are not the only employee, they have to prove it was you. Since they have no cash controls, it's on them IMO. I have managed multi-million dollar operations, and your situation stinks to high heaven.
0 x

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:02 pm

St_Augustines_Pears wrote:my cash drop for March 19th is missing...in the amount of $112.00.

Did you take it? How does it "go missing?"
St_Augustines_Pears wrote:I don't want to be fired for three reasons...
1. My witness to many people will be shot (the owners, my ex-wife, my daughter, my co-workers, etc.)
2. It's a huge black mark on my integrity.
3. It would be hard to find another job in this recession.
I don't think your witness will be shot if you've already established a good and trustworthy reputation. If you haven't, that sucks. I do however think your integrity will be just fine unless you did take it. Just keep telling the truth. There's no denying the job market blows.
St_Augustines_Pears wrote:They'll probably tell me I have two options...pay back $112.00, or be terminated. I will not admit to something that I DID NOT DO just to save my job!
I'm with Jason. Paying back the 112 will be easier (relatively) than getting canned and trying to find a job with that mark (of getting fired) on your record. You can still make amends to Apu and Manjula and make it right without admitting you did something wrong, which apparently you didn't. At least intentionally. That drop is your responsibility is it not?
St_Augustines_Pears wrote: I just wish I knew why this is happening to me.
It's never a straight line for anyone to glory, is it?
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by Shell » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:49 pm

Not unreasonable questions, but it was the owners who actually picked up the money and took care of the deposits. If they are only picking up to make deposits twice a month, there was probably plenty of opportunity for another employee to have access to the drops. How can they know for sure the manager or someone else making a drop didn't help themselves to a little cash? Are they sure they counted the money correctly? I think the burden of proof is on them too, especially with an employee they haven't had any prior problems with. I think it's a situation where they have messed up and are trying to blame Jim.

It's a tough situation. I wouldn't want to work for someone who treated me like that either; on the other hand, with the way the economy is, I would see what I could do to keep my job. It can be kind of hard to find the balancing point between keeping a job and not putting up with being walked all over or putting up with false accusations.

We don't always understand why things happen, but we can lean on God during rough times.
0 x

St_Augustines_Pears
Pethead
Pethead

Post by St_Augustines_Pears » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:10 pm

Jonathan wrote:Did you take it? How does it "go missing"?
No, I DID NOT take the money! As for how the $112.00 went missing? Well, we don't drop our deposits in a safe like most businesses do...it's just a bolted together wooden box with a small padlock on it. ANYONE working there can access that box if they had a screwdriver (even the housekeepers!). This I confirmed with a former manager who used to work there...she was concerned even back then how easy it would be for anyone to break in and take the deposits.
Jonathan wrote:That drop is your responsibility is it not?
Yes, until I put it into the drop box...which I did.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by Shell » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:31 pm

How did this turn out if you don't mind me asking? I hope you didn't have any consequences because of it.
0 x

blayze5150
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!

Post by blayze5150 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:16 am

I know what you mean, because I've been there myself! I was an assistant manager at a convienece store for a few years back in the '90's. I was about to go on vacation for a week, and I came into work for my last day when I was told by my manager my deposit was $500 short. Bad thing is, I filled out the paper work that way, and didn't catch it. I actually had to be interviewed by the police, and was asked to take a polygraph. I never had to, and no charges were ever filed. I did, however, lose my job. I didn't take the money, but I think I know what happened to it. It's bad enough to have one experience like that, but...

Several years later, I was a manager at McDaonald's. An entire deposit came up missing, and I was there at the time. This time, I did take a polygraph. Everything came uop clean, except on the first question, one of the mundane ones, it came up that I was "lying." I wasn't, and I still don't know why it came up like that. It still bothers me, because the question was "have you ever stolen anything over $50 value from McDonald's?" I never did, and I don't know why I freaked out on the question. Because of that, that owner will always wonder what I stole from him, when in fact I stole nothing. I didn't loose my job, but I was working my 2 weeks notice at the time, so I may have had it not been for that.

I just wanted to share this with you because I have been there, and God will get you through this. If this door closes, another one will open. God will provide, even in a reccession. Remember Matthew 6:33 & 34: "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of it's own." (if I misquoted that, it was from memory and I am getting old!).
0 x