0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Re: Steve Jobs RIP

Post by executioner » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:14 am

Yeah bummer that he didn't know Christ. His company and himself personally would openly steal thoughts and ideas from others to design and build his products.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:27 pm

executioner wrote:Yeah bummer that he didn't know Christ. His company and himself personally would openly steal thoughts and ideas from others to design and build his products.
Your kidding right? you mean Bill Gates?
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:11 pm

No not kidding; they both have done it. Jobs had been in the courts ever since he came back in 1997. It well known about him and Sony fighting for a long time.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

St_Augustines_Pears
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: GOD FIXATION
Pethead since: 1999

Post by St_Augustines_Pears » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:26 am

executioner wrote:Yeah bummer that he didn't know Christ.
Steve Jobs (along with Bill Gates) revolutionalized our world. He helped create tremendous advances in computer technology. The man was a husband and father. He was a billionaire many times over. In the eyes of the world, he had everything.

I can't post links because I'm at work, but there is an article on Yahoo news titled, "Steve Jobs' Mantra Rooted in Buddhism: Focus and Simplicity". I think you can find it if you Google "Steve Jobs Buddhism". A few interesting points from the article...

* Jobs believed in Buddhism...but was not a devout practitioner.

* Jobs had a Zen Buddhist monk marry him and his wife Laurene in 1991.

* Jobs admitted to experimenting with the drug LSD, which he said was "one of the two or three most important things" in his life.

* Steven Brands' publication, The Whole Earth Catalogue, established in 1968, was Jobs' bible. Brands' motto was, "We are as gods.".

In Mark 8:36, Jesus gave a warning..."For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?".
0 x
THOMAS R. LEHMER 6/7/44-2/11/05.

"This journey seems so long, as I await the dawn...all alone and so weary" - Petra's "Over The Horizon"

CatNamedManny
Pethead Wikipedia Warrior
Pethead Wikipedia Warrior
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1996

Post by CatNamedManny » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:53 am

Yet for all that we still know precious little about the heights and depths of the grace and love of God.

All I know for sure is that Steve Jobs likely changed all of our lives, and that's pretty amazing.
0 x
- Paul

A little disoriented. Getting reoriented.

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:14 pm

Exactly.

Jobs was able to be successful, doing what he liked to do, providing an artistic solution to improve quality of life. He may not have been a Christian and was a big Obama smoocher (haha), but I can tell you that many, MANY Christian bands, churches, ministries, etc benefited from his products and vision. Whole markets have been created because of his innovations. Heck, my church band is paperless because of iPads and iPhones. We run ProPresenter on iMacs. We record and edit with Macs. The staff communicates with.....I could go on.

While Jobs basically took the damaged ruins of the record industry (thanks Napster) and made it profitable for Apple to sell hardware to have access to music, he did not go far enough for the artist.
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:54 pm

when I was studying music in college, way back when, many of the industry standard computer programs were Mac only. You go to any Christian show today, and they're running the show on a Mac.
If I'm leading worship solo at my church, I'll download tracks in ITunes, and run them from my IPod. Without spending a bunch of money, it's the only available and reliable solution.
I had one of the early Apple II machines. Amazing what you could do, considering that your average high quality digital photo is larger than the memory available on those machines, and perhaps larger than the space on one floppy disk.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:01 pm

God hates Westborrow Baptists :)
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:25 am

I didn't know this stuff about Jobs, the technology sector is sadly full of snakes.

Won't be long and everyone will be suing the pants of Facebook, that is one loaded gun seriously.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:12 pm

Steve Jobs and Wozniak was going to market the Bluebox in the early 70's http://www.slate.com/articles/technolog ... blue_.html
0 x

knotodiswrld
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War
Pethead since: 1984

Post by knotodiswrld » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:12 pm

Jobs was one of the true pioneers. His contributions to the technology revolution will be long remembered.
0 x
The Master of The Earth became a servant of no worth
And paid a kings ransom for my soul

knotodiswrld
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War
Pethead since: 1984

Post by knotodiswrld » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:28 pm

Daniel wrote:
executioner wrote:Yeah bummer that he didn't know Christ. His company and himself personally would openly steal thoughts and ideas from others to design and build his products.
Your kidding right? you mean Bill Gates?
They both did it. Frequently.

I don't know if you're old enough to remember the original MacIntosh computer. It was considered incredibly revolutionary when Apple first came out with it.

It had the first commercially released GUI operating system ... i..e "point and click" with a mouse like in Windows instead of typing commands. Before that, to use a computer you had to know the commands to type to copy a file, or move it, or delete it, or whatever. You had to type a program's name to to run it.

Mac was doing the whole "point and click" thing long before Microsoft even TRIED to release "Windows". And I actually used "Windows 1". It stunk. It was, if you can believe it, far worse than Windows 3.1. It didn't come anywhere near what Mac was doing. It really wasn't until Windows 98 that Windows came close to matching the functionality that Mac's "point and click" operating system had 10 years earlier.

But Jobs didn't come up with the idea for a GUI operating system on his own.

The first company to invent a GUI, "point and click" operating system was ... get this ... XEROX!!! Some engineers there developed a computer and an operating system that had the first truly usable GUI operating system using a mouse.

Sadly, the CEO of Xerox decided that they "weren't a computer company" and shut down the project. But somehow, Jobs managed to get the engineers at Xerox to give him a look at their creation before it was mothballed.

And then, we get the Mac. Coincidence? I think not.

But, to be fair, Xerox had decided not to pursue it. I guess you could argue that Jobs didn't really deprive Xerox of anything they would have had anyway.
0 x
The Master of The Earth became a servant of no worth
And paid a kings ransom for my soul

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:34 pm

Atari 16 bit computers had a GUI before Microsoft too, I even had it on the 8 bit line before microsoft. I remember thinking that the mouse was the dumbest thing ever created and how it would never last. I guess my point is that first isn't always best, and best isn't always most popular.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:44 am

I know Apple made up the idea of inventing the mouse, it had been around a lot longer http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/top ... =ref672432

Atari was amazing, I had an Atari Basic cartridge for the 2600.. was so funny I had to type a program every time I wanted to play! or leave the machine on! there was no storage.

There was no keyboard either come to think of it, I think there was different combinations on the joystick to get characters to appear.

Dennis Ritchie the co-inventor of Unix and C was a pioneer.. http://digg.com/story/r/unix_creator_de ... tchie_dies he died a few days ago, I don't see anyone crying over that though.
0 x