Carman, seminars, what he says about sound

A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Carman, seminars, what he says about sound

Post by brent » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:31 am

I wonder how the early church has made it, being able to hear themselves. Carman must be shooting this on tape, and can't afford to change his fire alarm batteries.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=453 ... =2&theater
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Re: Carman, seminars, what he says about sound

Post by brent » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:20 pm

Dude, that was cheese, right?
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:21 pm

I like the series "how to put on a concert, quit your full time job, and do it full time." I bet Petra could use that video. :)
0 x

Boray
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beat the System
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Boray » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:54 pm

Hmmm... So, how come people still sing in churches that have NO sound system...?
0 x

knotodiswrld
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War
Pethead since: 1984

Post by knotodiswrld » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:06 am

I know he's the professional and all, but I have to disagree that the volume should always be loud enough to drown out all conversation. I mean, maybe for openers, but I always prefer if the worship moves toward a quieter, more introspective level toward the end.

Like I said, I'm no professional. I just know what touches my heart.

When you're talking about worship, you must let God The Holy Spirit lead. You can't go in ahead of time saying, "Here are the rules".

Let's also remember, regarding his "full-time ministry statement", that The Apostle Paul didn't get to go into full-time ministry until he went to prison. So, if you're in part-time ministry but don't feel led to make the move to full-time, don't let yourself be guilted into doing something it's not time to do yet.
0 x
The Master of The Earth became a servant of no worth
And paid a kings ransom for my soul

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:45 pm

I disagree with him as well. To me, that is using the senses to manipulate the worship service. I think that there is a fine line and most churches cross it. Too many lights, effects, too much atmospheric video, too loud and over produced music by faux-hocked, sloppily dressed, semi-talented music guys.

Actually, I know some churches where the men sing louder than the beefy PA systems. When they bust out the hymns, it causes me to stop and almost tear up. There is nothing like hearing people sing with conviction. Yeah, Carman is all wrong here...when it comes to church. He makes it out to be a show, something observed. I have found that when it is too loud, people shut down, stop participating. For concerts, it's ok. Church? No.
0 x