A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Re: Obama wins

Post by Preacherman777 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:40 am

RIP USA
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:34 am

I guess it looks like the majority in the USA wants to be more like Europe which is on the cliff of financial ruin; Why not? lets all just follow the blind, because we are just as much blind as they are. I'm not even going to go the social issues affected by this election; its a shame!
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:25 pm

I still don't think all is lost. I believe there was a decent percentage of ignorant vote who really didn't know the stark choice before them, and didn't see a good enough reason to switch to Romney. They stuck with Obama because he was the incumbent, or because of one issue near to them such as same seks marraige or the Women's stuff. I maintain that not much would under a republican president with respect to those issues, and that they don't matter when the economy is going south. But again, I think there is a decent percentage of voters who don't see the country as being in that bad of shape economically.

This was an election about turnout. It was expected to be very close, and it was. 51/49 in the popular vote, and 26/25 in states won. Romney needed to flip a bunch of states in addition to grabbing the close vote in Florida and Virginia, and he didn't get it done. Ohio became irrelevant. Enthusiasm to oust Obama seemed high. It was not as high to reelect him. I heard a stat that Obama's turnout was 10 million lower than in 2008, and Romney's turnout was 2 million less than McCain. There's your election. There's a lot to be considered as to why the turn out wasn't higher for Romney or why states didn't flip. Was it the evangelical vote rejecting the Mormon? Was it the drawn out primary not giving Romney enough time to rally support? Was it Romney's decision not to go hard after Obama? We could debate long and hard on why he fell short. I just don't believe it's really about the Santa Claus mentality that many on the conservative side are blaming it on. I pin it more on the turnout and the willful ignorance of some voters, or ignorance helped along by the media.

What happens over the next 4 years depends on the level of regulation Obama will put in place, what will happen as Obamacare plays out, will Obama continue down the path of wild spending beyond our means, and will the Fed continue to try and ease the economy along by printing more money? The republican house and the conservative populace are still going to fight hard and Gov't spending and the economy.

Perhaps, contradictory to everything I just said, I also thought this morning that there is a decent percentage of voters who will say yes, we need to make some really tough choices and get Gov't spending under control, balance the budget, and bring down the deficit, but when it comes time to vote they are afraid to vote for the guy who is promising to go after those things. The want to fix those things, just not while they are around. Kind of like the folks who support wind power, nuclear power, or what have you, but then say I don't want it in my back yard.

There's my attempt at deciphering what went down last night.

I don't have any stats, but I also wonder how much of the loss is attributable to people who burned out because they worked so hard during the primaries to get someone other than the establishment choice, and Romney ended up with the nomination anyway. How many of those folks didn't vote or went third party?
0 x

Petrafan327
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Back to the Rock
Pethead since: 2010

Post by Petrafan327 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:21 pm

Reminds me of Petra's song "Blinded Eyes"

Blinded eyes can't see the light
When it's glowing in the night right in front of you
Blinded eyes can't see the truth
When it's written on the wall in plain view
0 x
"I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of men than a fool in the eyes of God"
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Petrafan327/featured

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:38 pm

Let me boil down my analysis, after much thought and looking at the numbers.
I still believe this was not about favoring a country of Gov't handouts. This was about turnout.
Passion was high to vote out Obama, and some of Romney's votes came from Obama 2008 voters who switched sides. However, there were a lot of people on the republican side who didn't care for Romney. Evangelicals who didn't care for the Mormon thing, and hardcore Conservative types who didn't think Romney was conservative enough and were not happy with him as the nominee. I heard a lot people say, "let Romney go out there and lose, and then the Republican party will finally put up a real conservative.". I said going into this thing, that if those people didn't turn out for Romney, he couldn't win.
Obama beat John McCain in 2008 by 10 million votes. This time around he lost roughly 10 million votes. I'm sure some of that loss went to Romney. I heard people everyday saying they were switching sides because they didn't think Obama was getting the job done. Romney's total was roughly 3 million lower than McCain's 2008 total. That's the ballgame.
If your side doesn't turn out the vote, the people that switch sides aren't enough to make up for the die hards who will stick with the incumbent, and the uninformed who don't have a compelling reason to vote for the new guy.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:40 pm

Petrafan327 wrote:Reminds me of Petra's song "Blinded Eyes"

Sometimes Bob's lyrics are really simple yet so right for the times..
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:50 pm

gman wrote:Let me boil down my analysis, after much thought and looking at the numbers.
I still believe this was not about favoring a country of Gov't handouts. This was about turnout.
Passion was high to vote out Obama, and some of Romney's votes came from Obama 2008 voters who switched sides. However, there were a lot of people on the republican side who didn't care for Romney. Evangelicals who didn't care for the Mormon thing, and hardcore Conservative types who didn't think Romney was conservative enough and were not happy with him as the nominee. I heard a lot people say, "let Romney go out there and lose, and then the Republican party will finally put up a real conservative.". I said going into this thing, that if those people didn't turn out for Romney, he couldn't win.
Obama beat John McCain in 2008 by 10 million votes. This time around he lost roughly 10 million votes. I'm sure some of that loss went to Romney. I heard people everyday saying they were switching sides because they didn't think Obama was getting the job done. Romney's total was roughly 3 million lower than McCain's 2008 total. That's the ballgame.
If your side doesn't turn out the vote, the people that switch sides aren't enough to make up for the die hards who will stick with the incumbent, and the uninformed who don't have a compelling reason to vote for the new guy.

I think you hit it right; The conservative Christian didn't vote. Sunday in church our pastor talked a little about making the right choice and at the beginning asked the church if they were or had already voted and I would say about half out of about 2,000 people raised their hands. I didn't really think about that until last night and I saw what was happening.
I will admit that this spring I had alot of concerns about Romney with his Morman Faith, but never seriously considered voting 3rd party or not voting at all, and I never even considered voting for Obama.
I pray that this is the conservative Christians Wake Up Call.
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:16 pm

No surprise. I guess this was the most important election in the history of the world. I guess we will wait and see if the President ruins everything like some of you predict. He will have to do it without Congress since they are still divided.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:17 pm

Part of me was thinking big business would grow a pair and get behind Romney, but I guess they like bondage. The whole system sucks. Only seven swing states determined the election. I voted, but only to say I did. My state didn't matter did about 40 others. I guarantee you there was fraud. I like how the ACLJ worked to get the UN out of the vote oversight business. That was a crock. Go Jay, go!
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:30 pm

executioner wrote:I guess it looks like the majority in the USA wants to be more like Europe which is on the cliff of financial ruin;
It's probably fairly predictable that I'm going to tell you now that Europe is definitely not on the cliff of financial ruin. Actually the financial situation is the USA is worse than that in many European countries. If you look at national debt, I believe only Greece is worse off than the US. The point is that the financial markets are all about trust. For some reason people still trust the financial viability of the USA, which I find rather strange.
brent wrote:I guarantee you there was fraud.
Sure, there always is, but not that much as to really influence the results.
brent wrote:I like how the ACLJ worked to get the UN out of the vote oversight business. That was a crock. Go Jay, go!
You mean that there were no international election overseers? Why would you not want to have those?
executioner wrote:
Petrafan327 wrote:Reminds me of Petra's song "Blinded Eyes"

Sometimes Bob's lyrics are really simple yet so right for the times..
I just wanted to mention that this applies just as much to you guys as to those who voted for Obama. You're political situation is so polarized that it's hard to find someone with a balanced point of view. I read an interesting blog post about this. I'll try to find it and post a link.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:01 am

Don't bother. We read the bible and as a result know how to handle money the biblical way vs. how governments of the world do it, how to handle charity the biblical way vs. how the governments of the world do it, we know what a godly man and leader should be vs. what politicians, dictators, kings, queens, etc are.

I know how things stack up because of what the bible says. Christians are a minority. We always have been and always will be. A secular nation, that is growing more and more liberal every day because of immigration of people, cultures and religious systems, is not going to vote in a godly person now. It doesn't make sense. We just voted in an openly H O M O woman into government. All of the other H O M O s came out AFTER they were elected. We allow babies to be murdered. We don't require people to work. We don't require people to pay debts. We are becoming more stupid every day. We have lost our education system to post modernism, secularism, anti-Americanism. We have allowed big business and unions to control politicians. I know what the bible says. The USA is not in the end times. I think what I am seeing in my life time is the beginning of the end. It is sad and I am really, REALLY afraid.
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by gman » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:46 am

brent wrote:Don't bother. We read the bible and as a result know how to handle money the biblical way vs. how governments of the world do it, how to handle charity the biblical way vs. how the governments of the world do it, we know what a godly man and leader should be vs. what politicians, dictators, kings, queens, etc are.

I know how things stack up because of what the bible says. Christians are a minority. We always have been and always will be. A secular nation, that is growing more and more liberal every day because of immigration of people, cultures and religious systems, is not going to vote in a godly person now. It doesn't make sense. We just voted in an openly H O M O woman into government. All of the other H O M O s came out AFTER they were elected. We allow babies to be murdered. We don't require people to work. We don't require people to pay debts. We are becoming more stupid every day. We have lost our education system to post modernism, secularism, anti-Americanism. We have allowed big business and unions to control politicians. I know what the bible says. The USA is not in the end times. I think what I am seeing in my life time is the beginning of the end. It is sad and I am really, REALLY afraid.
You're right on the money as far as where this country is going. Wha's sad is that this was the opportunity to put the brakes on. Democrats and independents woke up and switched sides. A sleeping giant on the right was awoken and rose up over the last four years. Obama was ripe for picking. He won only because of a small minority on the right who were stubborn and said I can't vote for a moderate, or I can't put a Mormon in the White house.
I did a lot of reading online in the months before the election. Blogs, comments, Facebook posts, etc. I knew this potential problem was out there. There was a bit of a backlash when it was found out that the Billy Graham Association removed Mormonism from its list of cults.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:02 am

brent wrote:Don't bother. We read the bible and as a result know how to handle money the biblical way vs. how governments of the world do it, how to handle charity the biblical way vs. how the governments of the world do it, we know what a godly man and leader should be vs. what politicians, dictators, kings, queens, etc are.

I also see this as being near the end times; Last year we as a family just started living life somewhat differently financially; I keep a limited amount in banking, I buy gold & silver when possible, our last car payment will be in December and will not ever buy another car on credit, we have NO credit card debt whatsoever(we have one and we spend $30 a month on it and pay it off the next week just to be able to keep some type of credit for emergencies. In 2009 we sold our home and made some profit off of it(we are fine renting). I will say we are not rich or financially set by any means, but we are really tight with our money. Before buying any big ticket item, I totally research it and its comp before buying. I've noticed since doing this that we have about 20% more income on hand without all the interest debt that most in this world pay on credit.
I'm praying Obama will change not only spiritually but be more fiscally responsible with our nation, and I know God has it all in His hands and as a Christian will be ok, but its hard letting go of the USA as we know it. I'm a Christian first, an American last and try and live my life as Godly as possible with bringing my family up in the Eyes of God.
0 x

Petrafan327
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Back to the Rock
Pethead since: 2010

Post by Petrafan327 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:51 am

Herman Cain put it this way: America voted for popularity over substance. How sad this nation has become.
0 x
"I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of men than a fool in the eyes of God"
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Petrafan327/featured

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:49 am

Wow- we are quoting Herman Cain now?
0 x