"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Re: I never realized how much the USA wanted to be like Cana

Post by rexreed » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:26 pm

Yes, the U.S. has some complete idiots, just like Canada.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:05 am

It looks like the bad apples are now in the majority; it use to be 1/5 now its 3/5.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:33 am

If Texas does pull out, and it will not I suspect, it will be the country with the best economy and lowest crime rate in North America. California should be kicked out of the union. It is a burden to the rest of the country. It contributes nothing but debt, liberal nut job politicians, it's courts create laws and overturn the votes of the people, it is near the bottom in education quality and performance, etc, etc, etc. For every tax dollar stollen from the people, 95 cents of it goes to state pensions. There is no way that state can exist. Cities are going bankrupt. The state is bankrupt....let it die, break it up into the thirds that people have been asking for since the 40s, and call it a day.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:36 am

Matthew RJ wrote:Just because we have our own province that wants to separate ...there you go and have people in Texas signing a petition to secede from the union. :lol: Fun Canadian politics fact, our feds used to turn a blind eye to the selling of asbestos from Quebec (don't want to upset the separatists and condemn it or anything). The asbestos of course was being sold to 3rd nations so the health impact on Canadians was 0, and the mine & operation was great for the economy. But then the separatists have to elect a party to power provincally, and suddenly the feds condemn the asbestos. The timing of it was rather interesting. When the feds had a co-operative provincal power, they overlooked the asbestos operation, but when the separatists are in, suddenly asbestos is a bad thing. Ain't politics fun! :lol:
I have watched enough Holmes on Homes on TV to know that Canada is behind the times on technology, safety, building codes, enforcement, etc. Some of that is surprising to me. But, rules and regs only change when enough people have problems, die, file lawsuits, etc.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:13 am

brent wrote:
Matthew RJ wrote:Just because we have our own province that wants to separate ...there you go and have people in Texas signing a petition to secede from the union. :lol: Fun Canadian politics fact, our feds used to turn a blind eye to the selling of asbestos from Quebec (don't want to upset the separatists and condemn it or anything). The asbestos of course was being sold to 3rd nations so the health impact on Canadians was 0, and the mine & operation was great for the economy. But then the separatists have to elect a party to power provincally, and suddenly the feds condemn the asbestos. The timing of it was rather interesting. When the feds had a co-operative provincal power, they overlooked the asbestos operation, but when the separatists are in, suddenly asbestos is a bad thing. Ain't politics fun! :lol:
I have watched enough Holmes on Homes on TV to know that Canada is behind the times on technology, safety, building codes, enforcement, etc. Some of that is surprising to me. But, rules and regs only change when enough people have problems, die, file lawsuits, etc.
I know of some building inspectors that say Canada's building codes are from the 50's-60's; they say there are some 3rd world countries that have better and updated building codes over Canada.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:00 am

brent wrote:If Texas does pull out, and it will not I suspect, it will be the country with the best economy and lowest crime rate in North America. California should be kicked out of the union. It is a burden to the rest of the country. It contributes nothing but debt, liberal nut job politicians, it's courts create laws and overturn the votes of the people, it is near the bottom in education quality and performance, etc, etc, etc. For every tax dollar stollen from the people, 95 cents of it goes to state pensions. There is no way that state can exist. Cities are going bankrupt. The state is bankrupt....let it die, break it up into the thirds that people have been asking for since the 40s, and call it a day.

I will say I think its a far fetched idea for Texas to secede, but will say if any state can do it it would/could be Texas. Texas has the 2nd largest economy in the Western Hemisphere, and the 13th largest in the world. We have a Constitution that is pro freedom, pro gun, pro religion, pro business. It is even more right extreme than the U.S. Constitution. We have a governor and legislators that understand all these things. Perry came out this week and said he has sent letters to all the governors saying that Texas will be raiding other states for not only jobs, but also company HQ's. He said New York is #1 on the hit list. Toyota has a plant in San Antonio, GM has a plant in Arlington and Perry said there are deals in the works to bring more auto manufacturing to the state. Texas also has a "rainy day fund" that is larger then most countries GNP, and also the Texas Currency(even though it is not officially used) was never dissolved back when Texas was its own country. Texas also does not have a state income tax(which will probably change if seceded), but also we as Texans pay no taxes on food items & also have a next to nothing tax rate on essential items like utilities, baby products, organic items for farming. If you also own a home or property that use to be a homestead and/or used for farming you receive a yearly mortgage tax break. I could go on for about a day on all the advantages Texas has over any other state and also why it would/could be feasable for Texas to secede.
As of today I do not support any plan that inlcudes Texas seceding from the Union, but with the way the United States is going and if we choose to stay on the course we are now, this could be something that could be taken very seriously within 5-6 years.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:46 am

If it happens, I will be relocating the family. Any country where the state color is BBQ is good for me.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:31 am

brent wrote:If it happens, I will be relocating the family. Any country where the state color is BBQ is good for me.

Yes the BBQ is the best...
0 x

LivingRock
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1993

Post by LivingRock » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:59 pm

Canada is a great country, period. I wouldn't live anywhere else. Americans have always been represented by the eagle; strong, proud, independent, flying high above adversity... but our country's spirit is represented perfectly by our national icon, the beaver. Hard-working, honest, determined, and down to earth.
0 x
"Pethead" is not a title. It's a way of life.

http://pathofthecarpenter.blogspot.ca/

knotodiswrld
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War
Pethead since: 1984

Post by knotodiswrld » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:48 pm

Just as an aside, I sincerely believe that the 10th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution gives a state the legal right to secede. Nothing else in the constitution would prevent a state from seceding.
0 x
The Master of The Earth became a servant of no worth
And paid a kings ransom for my soul

knotodiswrld
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War
Pethead since: 1984

Post by knotodiswrld » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:03 pm

I would have said that Canada is trying to be like the U.S. We have had states attempt to secede on multiple occasions, most memorably the Civil War.

But there have been other attempts as well.

In Johnson City, TN there is still a road called "State of Franklin Road". It is named after a "The State of Franklin", a group of counties in Tennessee that once tried to secede. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Franklin

And of course, West Virginia only exists because it is the only state to have seceded TWICE.

Prior to the Civil War, there was no "West Virginia". Those counties were part of Virginia. But when Virginia seceded from the Union, WV seceded from VA so it could return to the Union.

Making WV one of five slave states to remain with the Union during the Civil War. And of course, the Emancipation Proclamation exempted Union slave states from the supposed freedom being granted to the slaves.

Thus, the EP didn't actually free any slaves. Aside from the fact that the President simply doesn't have that kind of authority, the EP specifically exempted Union states, and the Confederate states simply didn't consider themselves part of the U.S. anymore so they paid no attention anyway.
0 x
The Master of The Earth became a servant of no worth
And paid a kings ransom for my soul

Disciple
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Never Say Die
Pethead since: 2010

Post by Disciple » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:00 am

Interesting we are talking about a state seceding while the movie Lincoln hits the theatres.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:57 am

This movie is going to blow people's minds.
0 x