A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Re: This is how bad things are in music

Post by rexreed » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:49 am

brent wrote:If we had conservative business practices, conservative enforcement of conservative laws, and people obeying those laws, then we wouldn't be talking about music being stolen as often.
Conservative business practices? You would have what many consider an unsuccessful business- RISK, is apolitical as far as right wing or left wing goes. I think a few people are mistaking the word liberal with political alignment. Very common mistake. For example, If I favor liberal use of firearms and wish to have more people carrying them (very liberal ownership law) then in the U.S. I am typically considered to be "conservative." You see how stupid using the word liberal and conservative is? Stealing is stealing- don't turn this into a conservative/ liberal argument- it's the wrong place this time. Santa has nothing to do with this.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:56 am

rexreed wrote:
brent wrote:If we had conservative business practices, conservative enforcement of conservative laws, and people obeying those laws, then we wouldn't be talking about music being stolen as often.
Conservative business practices? You would have what many consider an unsuccessful business- RISK, is apolitical as far as right wing or left wing goes. I think a few people are mistaking the word liberal with political alignment. Very common mistake. For example, If I favor liberal use of firearms and wish to have more people carrying them (very liberal ownership law) then in the U.S. I am typically considered to be "conservative." You see how stupid using the word liberal and conservative is? Stealing is stealing- don't turn this into a conservative/ liberal argument- it's the wrong place this time. Santa has nothing to do with this.

I'm not speaking for Matthew but this was somewhat the point I was trying to make. Oh and please don't even bring the firearms issue into this, it will probably start some type of word war. :mrgreen:
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by rexreed » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:52 pm

It was just an example. Hopefully everyone will see it as that. It's just a little misconception that conservative ppl obey the law while liberals do nothing but break them. Most artists lean a little left yet they still want to get paid.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:27 pm

I am afraid you are mistaken. Most are not leaning to the left. Most are leaning to the right.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:32 am

No, I was considering how many liberal organizations are started, backed, endorsed, funded by artists, the artist unions/organizations, etc. It is not a matter of who is right. You won't find many, if any, secular artists standing behind pro-life organizations. The most conservative things they endorse is the preservation of wild life.
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by rexreed » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:30 pm

left, right, whatever, the music business is not what it used to be.
0 x

knotodiswrld
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War
Pethead since: 1984

Post by knotodiswrld » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:29 am

Sadly, I don't think the problem is liberal vs. conservative. I think it is a generation of spoiled stinkin' brats who think the world should just be handed to them. They are beyond "liberal" or "conservative". The don't know enough about the way the world works to understand those concepts.

Yes, most of them vote Democrat, but only because the media tells them to. They could no more explain why the vote that way in a manner that made sense than they could explain the impact of quantum physics on the field of neurology. Most of them couldn't tell you the difference between Democrat and Republican if their lives depended on it.

I try to explain to them why stealing music is wrong, but they don't want to hear it. I try to explain it from the standpoint of my own profession.

"Look," I tell them. "Let's say every time I write a new piece of software, instead of people paying me for it, everyone just downloads it for free and I never make a dime. What's going to happen? Easy! I'm going to stop writing software!!!

It's my work!! You don't have a right to use it without my permission!! And you don't get my permission unless you pay me!!!"

Now, true, 99.5% of everything I have written has been "for hire" ... someone paid me specifically to write it. But that's my point. Most of it I would not have written had no one paid me for it.

In my honest opinion, our society is irrevocably doomed. There is genuinely no hope, not in this world. The American and Western European (and frankly, Canadian) populace has become so irresponsible, so hopelessly mired in an entitlement mentality, so irredeemably self-centered and narcissistic, so thoughtless, so irrational, so illogical, so easily manipulated, that our society is hopelessly doomed.

The Roman Empire fell because "bread and circuses" led to complete moral decay of the masses. We're there. We are following the same path. Rome is about to fall again. And nothing short of mass salvation, massive numbers of people turning to Christ and being saved, being transformed by the Power of The Holy Spirit can save us.

I'm hoping the rapture comes soon. Very, very soon. (i.e. Tomorrow is good for me.)

If the rapture does happen tomorrow, I'll see you all then.
0 x
The Master of The Earth became a servant of no worth
And paid a kings ransom for my soul

LivingRock
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1993

Post by LivingRock » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:01 pm

If we're facing each other, your left is my right...
0 x
"Pethead" is not a title. It's a way of life.

http://pathofthecarpenter.blogspot.ca/

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by rexreed » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:10 pm

United States politics did not cause music sales to decline across the whole planet- sheesh.
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:33 am

Technology has changed. How we get music has changed. There is a segment of society that thinks it's okay to get their entertainment in whatever free way they can. That's one impact on sales being down. I think there is a cultural and political component to people not valuing the work of others, not recognizing that people have a right to be paid for their work, and not having the conviction to pay for that work. One of the ongoing political arguments right now is that it is wrong, or should be wrong, for people to make money off of something.
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:49 pm

Matthew RJ wrote:
gman wrote:...One of the ongoing political arguments right now is that it is wrong, or should be wrong, for people to make money off of something.
That is a gross exaggeration and I can't think of anyone who would argue making $ off something is wrong. I've never heard this before in the political realm.
I've heard this expressed directly, and as a general idea. One specific example that has been brought up lately is Doctors making a profit off of what they do. The U.S. appears to be slowly moving in the direction if profit being a bad thing.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:32 pm

gman wrote:
Matthew RJ wrote:
gman wrote:...One of the ongoing political arguments right now is that it is wrong, or should be wrong, for people to make money off of something.
That is a gross exaggeration and I can't think of anyone who would argue making $ off something is wrong. I've never heard this before in the political realm.
I've heard this expressed directly, and as a general idea. One specific example that has been brought up lately is Doctors making a profit off of what they do. The U.S. appears to be slowly moving in the direction if profit being a bad thing.
Yes very true Gman. Its also going on in the auto industry; The head of GM who the Federal Government put in place has talked about this some, and the Governor of Illinois has started putting in programs that will tax someone extra percentages who makes over the amount he made the previous year. Obama is also trying to get this through also. BTW rent "2016 Obama" and you will see some of this in his(Obama's) thought process. If you make more you should give more.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:48 pm

Surprise...Obama is going to tax you on your donations and/or do away with tax deductible donations to non-profits, tax students grants, AND the FCC is going to make everyone buy new wireless mic systems...again, while selling those frequencies for 2 BILLION dollars opening bid...and not have to account for the revenue. Yeah, my taxes went up...$100 per check. That sucks. I sure hope someone "fixes" this situation soon. I can't take much more of this great "change".
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by rexreed » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:17 am

kooky responses. stick to the topic please and get off your political soapbox.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:55 am

Easy for a Texan to say...you guys can exist without the rest of the country. You have your own power grid, oil and natural gas. You have a conservative government, no income taxes, yet still have surpluses. You enforce the law, put people in prison that need to be, and execute when necessary. You guys could do it if you wanted to...:)
0 x