A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Re: This is how bad things are in music

Post by executioner » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:24 pm

brent wrote:Easy for a Texan to say...you guys can exist without the rest of the country. You have your own power grid, oil and natural gas. You have a conservative government, no income taxes, yet still have surpluses. You enforce the law, put people in prison that need to be, and execute when necessary. You guys could do it if you wanted to...:)

There are times specially in the last year or two that I think that would be a great idea. BTW you forgot about the best BBQ in the world.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:34 pm

brent wrote:Easy for a Texan to say...you guys can exist without the rest of the country. You have your own power grid, oil and natural gas. You have a conservative government, no income taxes, yet still have surpluses. You enforce the law, put people in prison that need to be, and execute when necessary. You guys could do it if you wanted to...:)
Did you happen to see how the current Texas Governor did when he ran for president? That speaks volumes to the quality of leadership there is in the state right now. Texas has also incarcerated an alarming number of innocent people, even executed some- huge fail. As for existing w/p the rest of the country, well Texas did for nearly a decade. It was a poor, lawless, 5th world country that begged every year to join the union. No income taxes are offset by high local sales taxes and property taxes. No income tax also allows for companies to pay lower salaries, so having no state income tax is over rated. Texas is one of two red states that gives more in federal income tax than it gets back- so the conservative leadership is not helping either- it will probably get worse with tea party happy Cruz taking a seat as U.S. Senator. Hard to believe the rest of the so called "red states" take more than they give- total moochers. Still, it is a great place to live- but could definitely be better.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:26 pm

rexreed wrote:
Did you happen to see how the current Texas Governor did when he ran for president? That speaks volumes to the quality of leadership there is in the state right now. Texas has also incarcerated an alarming number of innocent people, even executed some- huge fail. As for existing w/p the rest of the country, well Texas did for nearly a decade. It was a poor, lawless, 5th world country that begged every year to join the union. No income taxes are offset by high local sales taxes and property taxes. No income tax also allows for companies to pay lower salaries, so having no state income tax is over rated. Texas is one of two red states that gives more in federal income tax than it gets back- so the conservative leadership is not helping either- it will probably get worse with tea party happy Cruz taking a seat as U.S. Senator. Hard to believe the rest of the so called "red states" take more than they give- total moochers. Still, it is a great place to live- but could definitely be better.
With an attitude and outlook like that about Texas, maybe you should consider finding another state to live in; just saying...

BTW Texas' sales taxes which all states have are below average compared to most states(our sales tax for us is 8.25%) which DOES NOT include food items because there are NO TAXES for food items; plus all states have property taxes and unlike Texas most states you have to pay a value tax every year or two on your cars you own in order to get your license tags renewed instead of just paying the $59.95 you pay in Texas for each car you own. I lived in Louisiana for one year and was taxed in a 18 month period about $2,500 just to get license tags.
Texas also has one of the lowest costs of living averages out of any states; its cheaper to but food, housing, gas and most everyday needed products. I would recommend for you to go an live anywhere else in the USA for 2 years and you will find out on how good you had it here in the great state of Texas.
Also go read up on your history about Texas wanting to join the Union, you will find out that most leaders including Sam Houston did not want to join the Union; The United States made an offer that nobody in their right mind would, could, or should have refused. At the time the right decision was made but I will be honest and say now I think about seceding more today than I have at anytime in my lifetime.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:02 pm

Thanks, I know about Texas history, and also a lot about Texas myth. Sam Houston was in favor of joining the U.S.- the U.S. wasn't so sure. Later, when Sam Houston was governor he was against secession. He resigned as an unpopular governor for taking a stand against secession. More than a hundred years later he was right and all the southern apologists were dead wrong. I'm a proud Texan, I just don't buy into the lies that continue to be perpetrated by a public education hating legislature. In thirty years Texas will be one of the poorest states with the highest rate of children born out of wedlock unless stupid politicians (oops) are replaced.
0 x