A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Re: Derek Webb --- Trolling or Serious

Post by Jonathan » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:26 pm

I confess, it's rare that I fully grasp what he's up to.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

adpetrafan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by adpetrafan » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:19 pm

Never heard of him before, but I listened to some of his music and it is hard to turn down for free...
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief

Post by rexreed » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:06 am

He's my age and went to a nearby high school. I actually have a few friends that know him. He's not trolling... just does things that some people don't like. Rich Mullins used to say things at concerts that the promoters (usually radio stations or churches) weren't happy to hear.
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:00 pm

Matthew RJ wrote:I know he's giving it away free. What confuses me is that he's promoting it (and touring a 10 yr old album) and then doing a follow up with a fresh perspective on the same theme calling it, "I'm sorry I was wrong."
That sounds indeed strange. I'm not too familiar with She Must And Shall Go Free, but I'm sure there's an ironic sublayer to the title of his new album. Or it's just a bad joke...
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:55 am

rexreed wrote:He's my age and went to a nearby high school. I actually have a few friends that know him. He's not trolling... just does things that some people don't like. Rich Mullins used to say things at concerts that the promoters (usually radio stations or churches) weren't happy to hear.
Yeah, cuz Rich was a charismatic, new age, Catholic. He was going to be confirmed when he was killed in the accident. Some people wonder if there might be a connection. He was leading masses astray.
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:22 am

brent wrote:
rexreed wrote:He's my age and went to a nearby high school. I actually have a few friends that know him. He's not trolling... just does things that some people don't like. Rich Mullins used to say things at concerts that the promoters (usually radio stations or churches) weren't happy to hear.
Yeah, cuz Rich was a charismatic, new age, Catholic. He was going to be confirmed when he was killed in the accident. Some people wonder if there might be a connection. He was leading masses astray.
Ah, another one of our evangelical friends who loves his brothers and sisters and doesn't have any idea about church history and how evangelicalism is a recent and very self-centred form of Christianity that believes they are the only ones who know who God is and how He wants to be worshiped, while they refuse to acknowledge that God might use other forms of church to bring honour to his Name in other places of the world than North America and northern Europe. Come on, Brent, don't limit God to what's possible in your mind and your theology.

Oh, and by the way, I don't think Rich was qualified to lead mass. :roll:
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:01 am

I know church history. Just because we have some bad history does not mean that we accept it and operate in it for eternity. Heck no. We stand with Luther at the door and hand him the nails.

As an artist, you cannot do a Christian tour, interview on Christian radio stations, some of which are owned by Southern Baptists and/or very conservative Christian organizations, and promote your alcoholic priest buddies books and the Catholic church. That was the point. You don't go to the premiere university, with 16,000 in attendance, and talk about how their denomination is missing the mark, without getting some backlash.

For the most part, I find nothing wrong with Rich's music. It was his yammering between songs. I have a problem with these nice, kind, touchy-feely Christians that believe everything goes, and God can use anything, no matter how against the bible it is, so we should agree with it. That is what I saw. I saw people claiming to be christians lining themselves up with heretical statements with a smile on their face, because they were star struck.

The charismatic movement is not a deal breaker and should not be a divisor. The Catholic church is what it is, and it is a divisor to many. The Catholic position has been throughout the ages that Christianity in the non-Catholic world is wrong and we are non-Catholics all cursed. Catholic tradition is that salvation is Jesus plus the church and the Papal office (God on earth) equals salvation. I have been to the classes and read the official literature. so, this is THEIR teaching. Funny thing, the Catholic church does not evangelize the world like Christians do. The Catholics are great with the social gospel stuff. But they are not preaching it straight on a global level like the denoms and nondenoms are.

Christians have one Priest, who established His Gospel. Salvation is through Christ and Christ alone, not a church. There is no payment for salvation, for getting people out of limbo, or out of hell. There is no works for salvation. There is no voodoo eating the physical body and drinking the blood of Christ. Come on. The list goes on.

I fail to see how a Bible reading and believing Christian could believe everything the Catholic church teaches or stand for how it operates. I know plenty Christians attend Catholic churches. We have churches that have split from the Roman and American organization here. Certainly, Catholics can be saved the same way Christians can, and people professing to be both with enter the gates of hell. Being one or the other does not get your ticket punched.

Who said anything about Rich conducting Mass? He was preaching his new gospel in arenas. Rich was getting hung up on the Ragamuffin thing, where God is love, which is true, but he and Manning remove a bunch of truth out of their teachings. It is Christian psycho babble.
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief

Post by rexreed » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:12 pm

If I had to guess then no, I do not think Rich Mullins is dead because he was contemplating joining the Catholic Church. If I did believe that then I would be an idiot. I may be an idiot, but for believing that. :P
0 x

mikey32187
Pethead
Pethead

Post by mikey32187 » Tue May 28, 2013 6:24 pm

This may ruffle some feathers but everytime I look at Derek Webb and his doctrine, this scripture comes to mind, and those of the emergent everything goes theology

Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; 1 Tim 4:1
0 x
Faith is our belief in God, doctrine is what we believe about God

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Tue May 28, 2013 6:49 pm

The bible is replete with God removing people out of His way. The bible is replete with God judging people for their actions.

Only God knows why Rich died. But, there is one less man mass spreading the heretical ragamuffin stuff from his alcoholic charismatic new age catholic buddy.
0 x

mikey32187
Pethead
Pethead

Post by mikey32187 » Tue May 28, 2013 6:56 pm

brent wrote:The bible is replete with God removing people out of His way. The bible is replete with God judging people for their actions.

Only God knows why Rich died. But, there is one less man mass spreading the heretical ragamuffin stuff from his alcoholic charismatic new age catholic buddy.

Indeed, I like Rich but the RCC is so blatantly deceived that it is not even funny,
0 x
Faith is our belief in God, doctrine is what we believe about God