EQ setting

A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
superfly
Pethead
Pethead

EQ setting

Post by superfly » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:23 pm

Hey all! I got a new surround system that also plays CDs and hooks up to the iPod, etc. It has some preset audio settings but also has a four line EQ setting but I can't figure out the right combo. They are for 60, 300, 2000, and 10000 HZ, each with a range of -6 to +6. Any suggestions for a basic default setting for this? It's on 0 for all of them until I change it. Thanks guys!
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Re: EQ setting

Post by executioner » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:03 pm

This sounds like a job for Brent.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:43 pm

Do what sounds good. Pick a frequency and boost or cut. It is really going to depend on your room, your preferences and loudness.

This might be helpful:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... Aw&dur=326
0 x

Boray
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beat the System
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Boray » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:28 am

If it sounds good, leave them all at 0. If you think it needs more or less bass, change the low numbers. If you think it needs more or less treble, change the high numbers. Adjusting just one of the numbers much will probably not be a great idea, so try to make more like a curve but remember that EQ always decreases the quality a bit so either just leave it off or adjust it moderately. But it's you who is going to listen to it so try to trust your own ears.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:03 am

Right. Excessive EQ can damage your speakers actually. On the production side, some sometimes use a technique called subtractive EQ. If we need more highs, we take away more lows. Why? Adding highs adds gain, and at high volumes, that can be harmful to "tweeters". There are free test tones available on line. If you can't find them, let me know and I will email you some tones. In fact, I could make some tones for you at your specific frequencies. Play them in your system and listen. You want to move the speakers around to get the bass equal to the mids and highs first, because bass is going to be most affected by the speaker type, its relationship to all walls, floor and ceiling. After that, EQ away until the tones are equal to your ear. My bet is that close to 0 as Boray said is going to be better, because those EQ filters are probably not too accurate. In home audio, they have a large bell, which means you are not just boosting 300Hz, but also 250Hz, which is below it, and 350Hz, which is above it. Clear as mud?
0 x

superfly
Pethead
Pethead

Post by superfly » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:50 am

Thanks guys! I'm jealous of your knowledge base, but glad to be a part of this community where we share info (well, I don't have all that much info to share, but definitely benefit from being on the receiving side!)
0 x