The Christian Rock Band "Bride" Is Recording Their New..

A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
zak89
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Petra Praise 2
Pethead since: 2002

The Christian Rock Band "Bride" Is Recording Their New..

Post by zak89 » Tue May 07, 2013 3:02 pm

I'm not a huge fan of their musical style, but I really appreciate the ministry-mindedness of these guys. And they're target is pretty lowball, in my opinion. Thought maybe a few of you folks might be interested - I'm pulling for these guys anyways.

(Gotta love Troy's choice in "titles" :lol: )

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/181 ... ng-their-n
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Re: The Christian Rock Band "Bride" Is Recording Their New..

Post by brent » Tue May 14, 2013 8:09 pm

Except for universalistic views, I like them. They were before their time. I just think they had poor production compared to their inferior secular counterparts. I don't know if he is a universalist now, but he has been interviewed and has posted such in the past.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Wed May 15, 2013 12:54 pm

Really liked their stuff in the 90's, but anything after that was really weak; lyrical content was somewhat confusing at times.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Wed May 15, 2013 10:16 pm

Snakes In The Playground... absolutely one of the best albums from my youth. I am glad Bride is recording again.
0 x

zak89
Pethead
Pethead

Post by zak89 » Thu May 16, 2013 10:31 am

brent wrote:Except for universalistic views, I like them. They were before their time. I just think they had poor production compared to their inferior secular counterparts. I don't know if he is a universalist now, but he has been interviewed and has posted such in the past.
I was unaware of that fact - I'd certainly find that doctrine incongruous for a group that wrote lyrics like "What if I am right and you are wrong? ... What if there is a Heaven and a place called Hell?", etc. In fact I seem to recall a few Bride songs that stressed Hell pretty strongly. Any links you could share?
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Thu May 16, 2013 11:13 am

zak89 wrote:
brent wrote:Except for universalistic views, I like them. They were before their time. I just think they had poor production compared to their inferior secular counterparts. I don't know if he is a universalist now, but he has been interviewed and has posted such in the past.
I was unaware of that fact - I'd certainly find that doctrine incongruous for a group that wrote lyrics like "What if I am right and you are wrong? ... What if there is a Heaven and a place called Hell?", etc. In fact I seem to recall a few Bride songs that stressed Hell pretty strongly. Any links you could share?
There was a bit of controversy in 2003 when This Is It was released. I seem to recall that prior to its release there were a couple of interviews where Dale said something about everyone being saved in the end anyway. Apparently some of the lyrics of This Is It reflect these thoughts, but I haven't studied them in-depth. I'm not sure where he stands right now though. I'll see if I can find some links or more info.
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Thu May 16, 2013 10:23 pm

Yeah, Mike Drive (Lee) of Barren Cross rode off the rails as well, claiming to have received revelation from God that Jesus taught that you must live out the ten commandments to be saved. Which is bass ackwards compared to the traditional christian view that you are saved through grace alone, and that living out the ten commandments is simply manifesting or revealing who you are as a new creation in Christ.

Anyway, here's a link to the Dale Thompson stuff. I doubt he's changed his views since. He's kind of embracing the Calvinist view of the sovereignty of God, irresistable Grace, and unconditional election, but then rejecting limited atonement and saying that "Christ died for all" means all, and combined with "every knee will bow", means that all men will be saved. Some in this life, and the rest after going through Hell, which is temporary.
http://www.pointsouth.com/bride.htm
0 x

zak89
Pethead
Pethead

Post by zak89 » Fri May 17, 2013 8:14 am

Thanks folks. A quick Google search enlightened me embarrassingly quickly, and it definitely looks like Dale is sticking with his new branch of theology. Very insightful to note that he's basically tacking this on to an otherwise mainstream form of Calvinism - I remember the first "anti-Calvanist" sermon I listened to, where the pastor (a former Calvinist) alleged that universalism often found root in Calvinists who couldn't force themselves to accept that so many people were destined for Hell (according to God's "good pleasure"). He gave a few historical examples - I didn't really take it seriously at the time but it's rather telling that Dale went this route as well.

I'll probably be pulling my contribution, sadly - serves me right for not doing my homework before hopping on the next Christian Rock bandwagon. :P
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Fri May 17, 2013 8:33 am

zak89 wrote:Thanks folks. A quick Google search enlightened me embarrassingly quickly, and it definitely looks like Dale is sticking with his new branch of theology. Very insightful to note that he's basically tacking this on to an otherwise mainstream form of Calvinism - I remember the first "anti-Calvanist" sermon I listened to, where the pastor (a former Calvinist) alleged that universalism often found root in Calvinists who couldn't force themselves to accept that so many people were destined for Hell (according to God's "good pleasure"). He gave a few historical examples - I didn't really take it seriously at the time but it's rather telling that Dale went this route as well.

I'll probably be pulling my contribution, sadly - serves me right for not doing my homework before hopping on the next Christian Rock bandwagon. :P
It is sad because even though we shouldn't I do believe we look up to these artists as being stronger Christians but so many times we see that as not being the case. I know some here disagree with me but I do believe God places a higher accountability on Christians that he places in front of the masses to speak His Word & Truth; sadly some fail at this big time and all fail at it a little of the time, its just our sin nature.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Fri May 17, 2013 10:12 am

He's basically saying that if you go down the Calvinist road, there are only two possibilities. Either the atonement is limited, some are elect, and everyone else is going to an eternal hell, or, the atonement and election are unlimited, and hell is temporary. He would reject the middle ground that some try to claim; that scripture clearly teaches 3 thruths: unlimited atonement, limited election, and eternal hell.
It's fascinating stuff. I guess I would agree with his statement that Christ died for all, and is powerful enough to save all. However, just because he is powerful enough to save all, that doesn't mean that it is true that he will, or that we are arbitrarily limiting his power by saying he won't.
0 x