A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

SKILLET "RISE"

Post by executioner » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:51 am

I got the new Deluxe Edition album(3 bonus tracks + Live DVD) and I am very surprised not in a bad way but in a good way; first I'm not a huge fan but have liked some on their offerings in the past. I am with most around here that like straight up Christian lyrics and for an artist to be very vocal about their beliefs, and Skillet really hasn't been known for it, but there is no doubt what they are and what they stand for on this album; this album has more straight up Christian lyrics than the last 2 John Schlitt solo albums(no offense to John but its the one negative I have on "The Greater Cause") and the album is very strong throughout and is a concept album that deals with the teenager going through present day troubles and also about the moral decline of the world especially America; the lyrics really hit home. Now on to the sound; I will say its really, really good with most songs having an "EPIC" feel to them. The content is very 80's with the ballads being somewhat like the power ballads of the past, and the rockers being early 90's with maybe a little nu metal mix in. The whole album is just so complete and I will say its probably the best complete album I've heard in a long, long time.
The Live DVD is really well done also and you get to see Skillet not only openly talk about their faith in front of the masses, but also present the plan of Salvation.
I will say as for me I'm ashamed as everyone should be that I ever questioned Skillet's musical/moral objective; they no doubt leave you knowing who and what they believe in. This album with the DVD is a MUST HAVE!!!!
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

zak89
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Petra Praise 2
Pethead since: 2002

Re: SKILLET "RISE"

Post by zak89 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:34 pm

Thanks for the heads up, exe. I'll definitely be checking this out.
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:00 am

I just saw them close out Creation, and they were awesome. Such a fantastic show. The new songs were great. John Cooper talked about how they love to play the Christian festivals and Christian shows, but he said the one question they get asked all the time is about the secular shows. He mentioned that they will be touring with Nickelback and some other band whose name escapes me. He said their music and faith is well respected by the artists they tour with, and he asked everyone to pray for the band. He also said that they are bold about their faith and love for Christ regardless of the audience.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:13 am

gman wrote:I just saw them close out Creation, and they were awesome. Such a fantastic show. The new songs were great. John Cooper talked about how they love to play the Christian festivals and Christian shows, but he said the one question they get asked all the time is about the secular shows. He mentioned that they will be touring with Nickelback and some other band whose name escapes me. He said their music and faith is well respected by the artists they tour with, and he asked everyone to pray for the band. He also said that they are bold about their faith and love for Christ regardless of the audience.
This is what I see from them also; Their last two albums "Awake" & "Comatose" have sold over 1M copies each and the one before those "Collide" will probably do so shortly. I think they have an opportunity in mainstream sort of like what Stryper had in the 80's, bu lets pray they are a better example for their Christian faith then what Stryper was. Like he said pray for them....
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:36 pm

gman wrote:I just saw them close out Creation, and they were awesome. Such a fantastic show. The new songs were great. John Cooper talked about how they love to play the Christian festivals and Christian shows, but he said the one question they get asked all the time is about the secular shows. He mentioned that they will be touring with Nickelback and some other band whose name escapes me. He said their music and faith is well respected by the artists they tour with, and he asked everyone to pray for the band. He also said that they are bold about their faith and love for Christ regardless of the audience.

Do you remember what songs they played off the new album?
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:30 pm

I'm sure they played a bunch of stuff. I can recall specifically that they played Rise and American Noise. I would guess there were others as well.
I wonder if doing tours with mainstream acts is easier these days, because Christian music has come a long way, and bands like Skillet can hang musically with their secular counterparts. I don't know this answer, but I wonder if some of the secular rock tours have become more mature in that the bands realize the wisdom of doing the show and then calling it a night, and dispensing with all of the nonsense that bands were known for back in the day?
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:09 am

gman wrote:I'm sure they played a bunch of stuff. I can recall specifically that they played Rise and American Noise. I would guess there were others as well.
I wonder if doing tours with mainstream acts is easier these days, because Christian music has come a long way, and bands like Skillet can hang musically with their secular counterparts. I don't know this answer, but I wonder if some of the secular rock tours have become more mature in that the bands realize the wisdom of doing the show and then calling it a night, and dispensing with all of the nonsense that bands were known for back in the day?

I think it is somewhat easier because even if a secular doesn't believe the same they have a musicians respect for them, back in the day(80's) there was very little respect coming from the secular market for the CCM market; even Stryper was caught at one time specifically making fun of CCM and calling some in the genre candy arses.
0 x

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:45 pm

executioner wrote:Stryper was caught at one time specifically making fun of CCM and calling some in the genre candy arses.
Tell me they weren't referring to Russ Taff!
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

mkepethead
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1985

Post by mkepethead » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:36 pm

This album is 10 times better than Awake. I love that Russ Taff album too. :)
0 x
Petra Means Rock!

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:35 am

mkepethead wrote:This album is 10 times better than Awake. I love that Russ Taff album too. :)
Amen!! It really has an 80's arena rock feel to it; if you go see a show you will feel like you were transported back in time. I liked some of Taff's stuff; I believe the album after Medals was a lot better.
0 x

Carolina Petra Fan
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1993

Post by Carolina Petra Fan » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:41 am

I know this album has been out a while, but I just recently picked up the deluxe edition. It is a pretty good album, and definitely better than Awake. You should check out the videos for this album, the two lyric videos are pretty awesome.
0 x
Carolina Petra Fan