A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
mkepethead
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1985

Re: Bloodgood Kickstarter

Post by mkepethead » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:23 am

Anyone here see the new video for the song Lamb of God?
0 x
Petra Means Rock!

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:56 pm

Yes I've seen it and love it; Les has not lost any of his vocal range; and the band sounds tight. This is the album I'm looking most forward to out of the 3 big ones coming in November.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

knotodiswrld
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War
Pethead since: 1984

Post by knotodiswrld » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:29 am

:shock: Geez! Those guys got old!! Can't wait for the album, though.
0 x
The Master of The Earth became a servant of no worth
And paid a kings ransom for my soul

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:48 am

knotodiswrld wrote:
:shock: Geez! Those guys got old!! Can't wait for the album, though.
From the clips I've heard this album really kicks it up a notch.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:12 am

Awesome album to say the least; It's totally Bloodgood and has a feel of all their albums(including All Stand Together). Oz Fox does some writing on a couple of the tracks with doing solos on several. Les Carlsen voice has not lost anything from 20 years ago and has that edgy feel that is needed in true metal. Songs that stand out for me are "Child On Earth", "Lamb of God", "Man in The Middle", "In The Trenches", & "Pray"; there are others as well, but these are first hand classics. The one song that I do not like at all is "I Can Go On". This is the one song that doesn't sound like a Bloodgood song and really doesn't fit on the album. BTW there is an extra track "The Word" you get with the MP3 download that is not on the CD and it really rocks!! Your thoughts??
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:25 am

Watched the Lamb of God video last night. Have been listening to the song since. Holy cow it's awesome. So much better than the Stryper video. The stryper video comes across as unlively and fake to me.
The production sounds top notch. I almost think it sounds better than the new Stryper. On a related note, someone on the Stryper forum pointed out that the new album sounded like the production was too hot and was cracking and distorting in spots. I noticed the same thing right away with Murder By Pride. That issue, combined with the fact that I was totally stoked after one listen to the Bloodgood song and not after the Stryper songs makes me think I asked Santa for the wrong CD.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:46 am

Every Stryper is fake and unlively...except the concert footage LOL. The concept they chose to do has been done so many times. Music videos are hard to do. So, I can't be too critical.

I am not a Bloodgood fan per se. When I was in radio, they were very popular back in the day. They had more requests than Petra for sure. This album sounds pretty good. Vocals sound very Schlitt-ish, meaning they both have aged and textured the same way over time. Both of them could sing circles around secular counterparts.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:32 am

gman wrote:Watched the Lamb of God video last night. Have been listening to the song since. Holy cow it's awesome. So much better than the Stryper video. The stryper video comes across as unlively and fake to me.
The production sounds top notch. I almost think it sounds better than the new Stryper. On a related note, someone on the Stryper forum pointed out that the new album sounded like the production was too hot and was cracking and distorting in spots. I noticed the same thing right away with Murder By Pride. That issue, combined with the fact that I was totally stoked after one listen to the Bloodgood song and not after the Stryper songs makes me think I asked Santa for the wrong CD.
Yes if there was only one album for you to buy this year I would have bought the Bloodgood over Stryper. I love both of their new albums but the Bloodgood IMO is by far the better choice. Don't get me wrong the new Stryper is a great album and would rank it up there with anything in their catalog, but it also still has a feel of it just being a Michael Sweet offering; Since they came back some 10 years ago Stryper has been transformed in the Michael Sweet Band with the other three members almost just being hired guns. On the other hand the new Bloodgood is a complete band effort with 4/5 members writing songs; 3 members having been included in the production process with a former member helping with the mix and writing one song. The music & lyrical content exceeds Stryper's offering in every way. I was shocked back in the summer when Oz Fox said this new Bloodgood album is the best project he has ever been a part of, but now I see why.
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:42 pm

I think you nailed it. I believe Michael did much of the writing back in day, but you had a big label involved, big time producers, big time studios, guest musicians like Randy Jackson, and big money mastering. You don't have all that now, and it is Michael making all the decisions. A guy on the Stryper forum basically said that he has come to accept that there are two Strypers, that the original one is never coming back, and he should enjoy the new one for what it is and stop comparing. Contrast that with Bloodgood. I've only listened to this one song so far. Back in the day I really only listened to Rock in a Hard Place. and it was one of my top albums. I really didn't listen to anything before or after. When I listen to Lamb of God, especially in the pre-chorus, I hear the Bloodgood that I knew and loved way back when. Plus Kevin Whisler is on drums, and I like his work. He played on one of my favorite and most obscure albums.
0 x