A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Stryper samples for "No More Hell To Pay"

Post by executioner » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:18 am

They have them up over on their facebook page; they sound like the Stryper of old which is really great....
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

zak89
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Petra Praise 2
Pethead since: 2002

Re: Stryper samples for "No More Hell To Pay"

Post by zak89 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:06 pm

Wow... the vocals on "Marching" are really impressive. Michael's voice has definitely matured but man can he scream. I like what I hear of the lyrics so far, too - good stuff.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:34 am

The guitar work is really raw which I really like; these samples make the songs feel "epic" like which in music today you no longer hear.
0 x

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:26 pm

For those lazy folks like me not interested in the internet runaround:

I dig it.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:04 pm

A couple of tunes sound like they could have been on Murder By Pride. Some others sound old school Stryper. I will listen out of curiosity. Anyone know if Robert played on this one?
0 x

Jan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Jan » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:09 pm

YEAH!!! Sounds good!
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:37 am

I'm going to assume that Robert played on the new one because He's played on the other stuff they've recorded recently. If not, it might as well be another M. Sweet solo record. It's not the same without Robert.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:16 am

He did not play on Murder By Pride. No explanation given. Could have been availability. He has played with tribute bands in Vegas.
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:48 am

Kenny Aronoff played on MBP, and I understand he's on Michael's upcoming solo disc as well. Robert played on the Covering, and the most recent disc whose name escapes me.
I don't think full disclosure was ever given as to why he didn't play on MBP. I don't want to get too deep into speculation on this, but here's my understanding from what I read and pieced together on their forum; either from band members or friends of the band. At some point after the band officially got back together and did Reborn, the band agreed to sign all control of the band over to Michael. In conjuction with that, they agreed sign a code a of conduct with the understanding that there would be a consequence for violating the code. Though I never read specifics or a hard confirmation, I gathered that Robert did something that caused Michael to say you're sitting this one out.
While Michael appears to have a good relationship with Kenny, I have hard time believing that he wouldn't be able to work out the scheduling for Robert to play on a Stryper album. Robert played on Reborn, and "Friends", the Stryper contribution to the MWS Ultimate Music Makeover, and he toured MBP.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:41 am

gman wrote:Kenny Aronoff played on MBP, and I understand he's on Michael's upcoming solo disc as well. Robert played on the Covering, and the most recent disc whose name escapes me.
I don't think full disclosure was ever given as to why he didn't play on MBP. I don't want to get too deep into speculation on this, but here's my understanding from what I read and pieced together on their forum; either from band members or friends of the band. At some point after the band officially got back together and did Reborn, the band agreed to sign all control of the band over to Michael. In conjuction with that, they agreed sign a code a of conduct with the understanding that there would be a consequence for violating the code. Though I never read specifics or a hard confirmation, I gathered that Robert did something that caused Michael to say you're sitting this one out.
While Michael appears to have a good relationship with Kenny, I have hard time believing that he wouldn't be able to work out the scheduling for Robert to play on a Stryper album. Robert played on Reborn, and "Friends", the Stryper contribution to the MWS Ultimate Music Makeover, and he toured MBP.

You win the prize of the day!!! The only thing I've heard different from you is Robert did play on Reborn but only the first sessions, after that I believe he was told to go home and get things straightened out. How much the first sessions included I'm not sure, maybe Brent can enlighten us on that part. Gman check your PM.
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by gman » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:30 pm

The way I understood it, Reborn was originally supposed to be an M. Sweet solo record. Some other guy played drums. When it became a Stryper record, Robert came and re-recorded all the drums, and they combined the two. They used some of the other guy's stuff, but it was mostly Robert's stuff on the finished product.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:52 pm

Kenny is a slammin', no frills, power house. I have met the dude one time. The one time I saw him play in person, I went up to his kit and looked around. It looked like 10 freakin buck toothed beavers chewed on a pack of sticks. It was amazing. He does a boat load of session work and live work. I think he was a good choice for Stryper. Roberts playing is not my cup of tea, in and of itself. But, his playing IS Stryper.

I started to type stuff I knew about Stryper's past. But it doesn't matter. Even if they were doing some jacked up stuff now, it would not matter to me. It would not matter the fans. People are going to buy what they are going to buy. People will turn a blind eye and make excuses for what they want to embrace. God allows and even preordains all of it. So, it doesn't matter to me. I am not big Stryper fan anyway. In the grand scheme of things, they are entertainment, and pretty harmless, if you ask me.

Honestly, go back and look at them in the 80s and 90s. They were as female as female could appear to be. They stuffed their crotches with items. They were a joke. Please. They might have had conversion experiences and such, but they looked demonic and down right stupid. I am embarrassed for them when I look at those old pics. God must have thrown up in his mouth a little.

I appreciate Petra not going female glam completely. John looked a little silly boots and Seinfeld sailor shirts. They all have their hair "did" to look a little glam band-ish. But they didn't go completely crazy. If I find out John stuffed, I will burn all of my Petra stuff and mail it to 'em. I am 99% Bob and Louie didn't. haha.
0 x

mkepethead
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1985

Post by mkepethead » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:06 pm

I heard the song Revelation and it's good!
0 x
Petra Means Rock!

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by gman » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:33 pm

I don't know. I went back to Itunes and went through the samples from Reborn and Murder By Pride, and most of the songs are good. Not really the Stryper of old, but still good. A couple tunes like Four Leaf Clover and Wait For You have a bit of that old school Stryper swagger. These song here leave me wanting. The intro to Revelation sounds really cool, but after that it's lacking. For me the melody is not up to par with what you'll find throughout their past catalog. Saved by Love is reminiscent of the old school in that it's using a faster groove similar to songs like The Reign and Not That Kind of Guy, but I don't think it can hold a candle to either of those songs. Marching Into Battle sounds like a could be cool, but the songs shouldn't have to grow on me. I'm curious to hear more, but I'm kind of thinking that I'll say that Michael should have stuck to writing solo tunes and the adapting them for Stryper. Those songs were better, imo, then these.
My other complaint about new Stryper is that while the first 2 new albums have great songs and guitar work, the drums just don't kick butt for me soundwise, like they did back in the day. I guess either they could get that quality of sound and choose not to, or they can't get that sound without forking over a lot more money.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:28 am

gman wrote:I don't know. I went back to Itunes and went through the samples from Reborn and Murder By Pride, and most of the songs are good. Not really the Stryper of old, but still good. A couple tunes like Four Leaf Clover and Wait For You have a bit of that old school Stryper swagger. These song here leave me wanting. The intro to Revelation sounds really cool, but after that it's lacking. For me the melody is not up to par with what you'll find throughout their past catalog. Saved by Love is reminiscent of the old school in that it's using a faster groove similar to songs like The Reign and Not That Kind of Guy, but I don't think it can hold a candle to either of those songs. Marching Into Battle sounds like a could be cool, but the songs shouldn't have to grow on me. I'm curious to hear more, but I'm kind of thinking that I'll say that Michael should have stuck to writing solo tunes and the adapting them for Stryper. Those songs were better, imo, then these.
My other complaint about new Stryper is that while the first 2 new albums have great songs and guitar work, the drums just don't kick butt for me soundwise, like they did back in the day. I guess either they could get that quality of sound and choose not to, or they can't get that sound without forking over a lot more money.
I like the new material. I've seen the Revelation Lyric Video and like the vibe of it; the lyrics are very strong and makes everyone know right away where Stryper stands. I really don't like Michael's solo offerings(I think they lack the bite of Stryper) hence the reason why I think Reborn was a really poor album. I too wish the drums were more upfront in the sound but that's how things are in todays music world; I love Skillet because the drums are very upfront and have an 80's feel to them. I still have not heard "No More Hell To Pay" on the radio and I'm looking forward too it.
0 x