Stryper samples for "No More Hell To Pay"

A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Re: Stryper samples for "No More Hell To Pay"

Post by gman » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:29 am

executioner wrote:
I like the new material. I've seen the Revelation Lyric Video and like the vibe of it; the lyrics are very strong and makes everyone know right away where Stryper stands. I really don't like Michael's solo offerings(I think they lack the bite of Stryper) hence the reason why I think Reborn was a really poor album. I too wish the drums were more upfront in the sound but that's how things are in todays music world; I love Skillet because the drums are very upfront and have an 80's feel to them. I still have not heard "No More Hell To Pay" on the radio and I'm looking forward too it.
You dare to diss Michael Sweet solo? Brent is going to have your head :lol:
I personally think the 2nd edition of Truth is some of the best stuff he's ever done. Save Me is an incredible tune. I also liked his 2nd solo disc, partly because it was completely different. I loved warm tone of the whole. The honky tonk piano on Baby Doll, or whatever that song was called, was yummy. And the ballads were cool also.
As for the drums on the new stuff, I don't have a problem with where they are in the mix, I just think compared to the drums of old they don't sound near as good. A lot of folks on the Stryper forum were specifically dumping on the snare drum sound on Reborn.
These new songs might be good for what they are, but Michael had mentioned on the forum that they were looking to recapture the vibe of the THWTD/IGWT days. A lot of people, including myself, we excited about that, and looking forward to the new stuff. So far I haven't heard that vibe.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:56 pm

gman wrote:
executioner wrote:
I like the new material. I've seen the Revelation Lyric Video and like the vibe of it; the lyrics are very strong and makes everyone know right away where Stryper stands. I really don't like Michael's solo offerings(I think they lack the bite of Stryper) hence the reason why I think Reborn was a really poor album. I too wish the drums were more upfront in the sound but that's how things are in todays music world; I love Skillet because the drums are very upfront and have an 80's feel to them. I still have not heard "No More Hell To Pay" on the radio and I'm looking forward too it.
I personally think the 2nd edition of Truth is some of the best stuff he's ever done. Save Me is an incredible tune. I also liked his 2nd solo disc, partly because it was completely different. I loved warm tone of the whole. The honky tonk piano on Baby Doll, or whatever that song was called, was yummy. And the ballads were cool also.
As for the drums on the new stuff, I don't have a problem with where they are in the mix, I just think compared to the drums of old they don't sound near as good. A lot of folks on the Stryper forum were specifically dumping on the snare drum sound on Reborn.
These new songs might be good for what they are, but Michael had mentioned on the forum that they were looking to recapture the vibe of the THWTD/IGWT days. A lot of people, including myself, we excited about that, and looking forward to the new stuff. So far I haven't heard that vibe.

I just do not think its possible to recapture that vibe from that decade, and this goes for Petra also even if they had the "dream team" back together; plus Classic Petra tried their version of it and I'm not saying it was a total loss, but it showed you can try to go home again but the same crap will show its ugly head as before.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:44 am

Certainly they are not going to recapture the massive recordings of those days. Time is money, and they don't have Enigma's money to make albums. I think what many fans were expecting though, was songwriting that is more like what Michael wrote back then. I realize that is difficult to pull off. As music changes and you pick up more influences, and you mature, it can be tough to recapture the inspiration of your younger days.
I hold out hope that this album will be really good. It's the first album of new material written for the band, and created by the band, with Robert on drums.
executioner wrote:
gman wrote:
executioner wrote:

I just do not think its possible to recapture that vibe from that decade, and this goes for Petra also even if they had the "dream team" back together; plus Classic Petra tried their version of it and I'm not saying it was a total loss, but it showed you can try to go home again but the same crap will show its ugly head as before.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:36 pm

gman wrote:Certainly they are not going to recapture the massive recordings of those days. Time is money, and they don't have Enigma's money to make albums. I think what many fans were expecting though, was songwriting that is more like what Michael wrote back then. I realize that is difficult to pull off. As music changes and you pick up more influences, and you mature, it can be tough to recapture the inspiration of your younger days.
I hold out hope that this album will be really good. It's the first album of new material written for the band, and created by the band, with Robert on drums.
executioner wrote:
gman wrote:
executioner wrote:

After seeing the lyrics from several songs on NMHTP I feel the songwriting is really strong; plus the samples sound really good. I'm not really sure if its because of the 80's look they had but I've never thought of them as a meat/potatoes type band more in line with the glam metal of those days.
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:23 pm

sounds pretty good. I'm so glad these guys are still able to record music.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:56 am

I've heard all the songs on NMHTP(rough cuts) and will tell you this is easily the best Stryper has ever done. Its raw & rough and every song has a solo in it. My understanding is that 3 songs were some of the first songs they ever wrote and one was completed and was originally slated for Yellow & Black Attack but didn't make the cut for lack of funding. I can't wait!!
0 x