Stryper "No More Hell To Pay" AWESOME!!!

A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Re: Stryper "No More Hell To Pay" AWESOME!!!

Post by executioner » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:41 pm

gman wrote:Well, Santa brought me this CD. I don't think I can give it the awesome label, like I did for all the old stuff the very first time through, but I'm not disappointed either. There are a few songs I could probably do without, but there's also of a lot of Stryper sound and feel throughout. They should have gotten a group of fans together to listen to the whole thing in rough form, and given them the chance to give their feedback on what to change, or what songs to give the boot.
Marching into Battle is really well done. I was initially thrown or disappointed by the choice of Jesus is Just alright, because the lyrics are confusing, and He should be more than that, but it's also really well done. Some of the best playing on the album.
I didn't think I would like The One, but it is a nice song. Unfortunately, with it's huge nod to Blue Bleeds Through, from Michael's Truth album, it doesn't belong on this disc.
I don't like Robert's snare on a few songs, but overall the kit sounds really good. I wish he would have done more though on some songs. If I were producing Revelation I would have told Robert to go back and give me some Robert Sweet at the end. I found the ending to be a bit of a stinker compared to the rest of the song. I also would not have opened the album with that song. I get that they wanted the huge intro, but something about the overall mix and production of the song bugs me. I would have done some type of intro like they did on THWTD, and then right into the title cut. That one has the Stryper feel to it.
I give the album a pretty good score overall. Reborn and MBP have the Stryper feel on a bunch of songs, but this one has more of the Stryper sound and production to it. I do get why some folks are calling them the Michael Sweet band. There are some songs that would fit better on his next album.
Some random thoughts. I'm enjoying listening to it, it just doesn't get the awesome label. Maybe awesome for the new Stryper. As one fan put it, appreciate the new Stryper for what it is, and recognize that the great Stryper of our youth is gone.
Like all other bands that we listened to in the 80's they might still be recording but that sound is gone and will never fully come back. I think Stryper has done a great job in mixing this generation sound(first 5 tracks) with the 80's generation(last 7 tracks). Robert's playing is the best he has ever done; keep in mind I've never been into his style too much. The production quality blows everything Stryper has done in the past with maybe the exception of Against The Law. I love the separation of the bass and bass drum and the cymbals with all of them being crystal clear; The vocals are also in the music and not on top of it. Its hard to find that in today's mud ridden music production. These examples are the main reason why I think that Petra's Wake Up Call & PP2 are the best productions Petra have ever created and I feel the same about this offering.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!