Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Petra Praise 2
Pethead since: 2002

Steve Taylor Kickstarter

Post by zak89 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:28 am

Any Steve Taylor fans around here?

http://kickstarter.com/projects/2128223 ... bum-really

His Kickstarter campaign has already reached the funding goal (and less than 4 days in!) - I was fortunate enough to get in early so at least I feel like I helped. :lol:

"The Perfect Foil" (his bandmates) include Jimmy Abegg, John Mark Painter and "another longtime collaborator" (just read the description - you'll figure out who this fella is in no time, mate).
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Re: Steve Taylor Kickstarter

Post by gman » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:36 am

Yeah, he played Creation this year with those guys and they were great. Peter looked and souded great. Interesting to see the former lead for one of the headline acts playing drums for the first artist to take the stage at this years festival.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:50 am

Back in the day I liked some of his material, but always thought in some ways it was all just a joke. For some reason I am very "serious minded" with my music, so when an artist like this comes along that I really can't take serious it seems to lose me pretty quickly.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:14 pm

I find that there's a serious point to his music, but you have to get the comedy, sarcasm, wordplay, and such in his lyrics. I think his work with Guardian was great. Where would Newsboys be without his help? We wouldn't have "Shine" and all the other material that eventually led to the epic hit "Breakfast". How many bands can boast of having fans carry a life size Captain Crunch box through the crowd on a chariot?
Steve also brought the brief jaw dropping experience that was Burlap to Cashmere.
"Jesus is For Losers" was a good song also.
Whether you like his work or not, I think we can agree that it is great to see the old timers finding a way to make a comeback.
0 x

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:29 pm

Could not agree with you more, gman. Outside of the goofiness, there was some gold in the serious stuff that he wrote. I find myself greatly challenged by stuff like I Just Wanna Know, Harder to Believe than Not To, Svengali, To Forgive, and it goes on.

Ditto the stuff he did with Guardian.

Sometimes subtext is fun to dig into, and Steve Taylor was one of the first that scratched that itch for me.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:39 pm

Meltdown, We Don't Need No Colour Code, I Want To Be a Clone...What's not to love? 8) He made some good statements about some of the nonsense people can come up with. I saw him in concert several times in the 80s/early 90s and he was great. Nice guy too. :mrgreen:
0 x

zak89
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Petra Praise 2
Pethead since: 2002

Post by zak89 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:25 pm

Jonathan wrote:Could not agree with you more, gman. Outside of the goofiness, there was some gold in the serious stuff that he wrote. I find myself greatly challenged by stuff like I Just Wanna Know, Harder to Believe than Not To, Svengali, To Forgive, and it goes on.

Ditto the stuff he did with Guardian.

Sometimes subtext is fun to dig into, and Steve Taylor was one of the first that scratched that itch for me.
Here here. 8)

I agree, Steve Taylor can seem at first glance to be non-serious and plain silly, but I've found his lyrics to always have a meaningful and sometimes cutting edge to them. I'm glad to see him heading back into the studio.

(PS: Did anybody see the video on the Kickstarter page? Hilarious!)
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:17 am

I do understand what everyone is saying, but I still feel he at times comes across as being non serious and him trying to be funny yet serious at the same time really doesn't resonate with my personal music/lyrical preference. I know its his personality and all, but it at times just rubs me the wrong way. He is a type of artist that truly is not for everyone, and he hasn't sold out to do what is in or popular so I give him kudos for that.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:20 am

gman wrote:I find that there's a serious point to his music, but you have to get the comedy, sarcasm, wordplay, and such in his lyrics. I think his work with Guardian was great. Where would Newsboys be without his help? We wouldn't have "Shine" and all the other material that eventually led to the epic hit "Breakfast". How many bands can boast of having fans carry a life size Captain Crunch box through the crowd on a chariot?
Steve also brought the brief jaw dropping experience that was Burlap to Cashmere.
"Jesus is For Losers" was a good song also.
Whether you like his work or not, I think we can agree that it is great to see the old timers finding a way to make a comeback.
Newsboys lyrics were good and sometimes even great to a point, but I always felt like their music was bland and ordinary.
0 x

Jonathan
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:47 pm

executioner wrote:Newsboys lyrics were good and sometimes even great to a point, but I always felt like their music was bland and ordinary.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:52 pm

Jonathan wrote:
executioner wrote:Newsboys lyrics were good and sometimes even great to a point, but I always felt like their music was bland and ordinary.
:lol: These cartoons Jonathan finds are great. :lol:
0 x