The Zone has changed

A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Re: The Zone has changed

Post by gman » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:58 pm

I don't recall where I saw it, but I remember reading that some of the early church fathers held to a rapture concept, but that most of the folks who put together the King James didn't like the idea of rapture, and therefore carefully chose the wording of the text so as to downplay it.
Another random point is that in hindsight, we can see and understand things that Jesus taught, that at the time he taught them, the disciples didn't understand.
0 x

fiendik
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beat The System
Pethead since: 2010

Post by fiendik » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:07 pm

brent wrote:This should clear it all up. There are differences between the rapture (the great gathering unto Himself) and the second coming when Jesus returns to earth. There is a difference in who gathers the people and a difference in who is gathered in both events. Saying one is not essential or both are the same takes away from the Hope that lies within us or the judgement to come. If it's in the bible, it is essential.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaphGzaTcZ8
I don't question that everything in the Bible is essential, only that the rapture is not in the Bible. And I don't see that I'm hopeless without it. I recommend Dr. R. C. Sproul if you want more info on the Post-Mil view. Some of the prophesies have indeed been fulfilled already (in Jesus' incarnation, and also in 70 A.D.), so not everything can be counted as an "end of the world" prophesy. Also, I think there is some truth in the "rapture", it's just taken to wrong conclusions. I don't intend to say any more on this topic...
gman wrote:I don't recall where I saw it, but I remember reading that some of the early church fathers held to a rapture concept, but that most of the folks who put together the King James didn't like the idea of rapture, and therefore carefully chose the wording of the text so as to downplay it.
Another random point is that in hindsight, we can see and understand things that Jesus taught, that at the time he taught them, the disciples didn't understand.
Sound's like some shady reasoning to me... gotta watch out for things that you just "read somewhere".
0 x
"Fiends are a gift from above, fiends are devoted and true..."

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:49 am

I know what RC believes.

You can't tie prophecies with a timeline of the rapture, because Jesus said so for one. So, there is no reason to try. For that reason, all of RC's teachings about it are discounted. He ties all the events together. The bible does not describe as being the same events, including the same people, or executed by the same entities. Not even Jesus knew when the rapture would happen when the bible was written. Yet, in the same NT, we are given a whole list of events leading to the return of Christ touching earth, all within order and a time frame.

If you do not want to believe that Jesus is coming for the saved and the angels are gathering the lost, then that is on you. What else do you have to cling to? When are you going to be with Jesus if you do not plan to go when he comes to get you? You have another way?
0 x

fiendik
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beat The System
Pethead since: 2010

Post by fiendik » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:13 pm

brent wrote: If you do not want to believe that Jesus is coming for the saved and the angels are gathering the lost, then that is on you. What else do you have to cling to? When are you going to be with Jesus if you do not plan to go when he comes to get you? You have another way?
I plan to be with Jesus when He returns. The question here is not whether or not He will return, only how exactly that will happen. I just think that people have added a lot of extra-biblical, "more exciting" aspects than is necessary according to the Bible.

It also seems that we agree on much more than we disagree on; I would think that our contact would be somewhat more friendly than it is.
0 x
"Fiends are a gift from above, fiends are devoted and true..."