0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Re: 2013 Charts

Post by executioner » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:54 am

look at how much airplay AC/DC gets with their product. The group was quoted back when Black Ice came out(2009) that Back in Black gets a little over 1 million copies sold annually, and the original first run recording sold about 13 million copies, so I guess your looking at about 45 million copies sold for just one album. I know Def Leppards Hysteria still sells very good but not sure about the numbers.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:24 pm

Is the reason that Back in Black sells so well because the people that listen are more likely to have CD players than Mp3/digital?
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:47 pm

Daniel wrote:Is the reason that Back in Black sells so well because the people that listen are more likely to have CD players than Mp3/digital?
That could be some of it, but since you can not get any AC/DC in MP3 format you would think that would limit them with this generation and I'm here to tell you unlike any other group from the 60's-80's(except for the Beatles) every teenager knows and most like AC/DC and I would not doubt if they have a larger following than the Beatles with this current generation.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:01 pm

I think Back In Black is a cross generational anthem and it does not matter how it is sold.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:32 am

Same goes for Metallica's Black album; Lars says he lives his daily life off the yearly profits from that album alone and if they never make another dime off of any other projects they will still all be multi millioniares for the rest of their lives.
0 x

PiedPiper
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1986

Post by PiedPiper » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:55 am

Ok, a little off topic...I've heard that "Sandman" refers to Satan. Is that too much of a leap, "Enter Sandman"? I'm a big Mariano Rivera fan and that was always his theme song, which has always been a concern for me. Rivera is a well known Christian.
0 x
There is a road inside of you; inside of me there is one too.
No stumbling pilgrim in the dark, the road to Zion's in your heart.

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:16 am

You can't get all tied up in that crap. Did you think sandman was Satan before you heard it? I didn't. Let the song be to you what it is to you.

I would not put to much stock in what the lyrics mean. Heck, if the lyrics were meant to be demonic, don't you think James would have just come out and said it? What song of theirs has ever been poetic? James has almost always been a literalist. If you had to be told what the lyrics were saying, James has failed.

James does not know what he is writing until he is recording lyrics on the spot. Read up on him or watch the doc videos. He works off of rhyming phonetics first. He always has. Kurt/Nirvana did the same thing. That is why the lyrics don't generally mean much.

It is easier to impose a meaning on lyrics that means something evil in the rock/metal genre, especially from Metallica. The intent of metal in general is to be angry, mean, rebellious. I only listen to Metallica's music to analyze it. I cannot tell you any of their lyrics. I don't like the vocals. Maybe except for Nothing Else Matters. That is a good crossover song. I like the guitars. Guitar parts are the only thing that draw me to listen and that is on very rare occasion.
0 x

PiedPiper
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1986

Post by PiedPiper » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:27 am

I probably wouldn't be concerned about the lyrics/intentions of the music if I didn't like the sound of Metallica or AC/DC. I stay away from it because I don't know what's behind the music. If the Bible is God-inspired, can't this music by Satin-inspired?
0 x
There is a road inside of you; inside of me there is one too.
No stumbling pilgrim in the dark, the road to Zion's in your heart.

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:27 am

There is a big difference. God did not inspire man to write what man wanted to write. God's Spirit moved in men, and that is why the bible can be said to be without error. If man had creative license, it would be biased. This is not to say that God did not use the personalities and gifting of different people to add perspective, as He did with the Gospels.

I am sure Satan could be the inspiration for music. But the music is not a tangible force and your mind, heart and soul are not unwilling participants. You don't accidentally get infected. You are conditioned and willing to be infected. This is why backward masking was proven to be hype and just a way to sell records.

The way we hear and perceive music is so complex, that we cannot begin to know all of the ins and outs. If we did, someone would bottle it and make millions. That said, you have to make up your own mind based on what you feel is God's way for you. Personally, I do not listen to lyrics. Music is music. Some of it reaches me, some of it does not. Generally speaking, I am the one that turns on the player and selects the music based on my preferences and desires at that point and time. It is not the other way around.

Personally, I don't think Satan is really into the stuff that is blatantly evil. I think that is a reflection of men, where they are in life and/or them trying to make a buck. I think Satan is more at work in the subtle things. He is probably more at work through Oprah and her new age BS, more at work in the schools systems through Common Core, and more at work through our churches with the Word of Faith movement, Atheist movement, Gay rights, Divorce, etc, etc. We are told to hold everything up to scripture and let The Light reveal what is crap. The Devil is in the details.

Kind of a related story. My pastor used to slam rock music. Yet, he listened to an easy listening station where the same top 40 were orchestrated. It was a matter of musical and mixing preference. The pastor liked the song he was whistling while walking down the church hall wall. I heard it. I stopped. It took my slow brain a second. I recognized it and then ran after the pastor. I asked him where he heard it. He told me KBEZ (the easy listening station in Tulsa). He was not infected and possessed by that song that was not a Christian song.
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:25 pm

I used to live under a blanket when it came to music and movies. There is a multi year period of my life where I am not familiar with a lot of popular music. I kept telling myself it was for my own good, and now I regret it. Some real stupid ideologies and bad research out there about music. Anyone ever read "The Rock Report?" It was absolute garbage but I fell for it.
0 x